B12 and ACC on the clock! | Page 22 | The Boneyard

B12 and ACC on the clock!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Is that just football? Because they have an agreement to play a set number of games with the ACC in football. Reading that I think the rest of their sports still fall under the GOR.
The rest of their sports' TV rights are a pirmttance. Bottom line, ND can very easily make up their exit fees by going to the B1G.

Reaction Score
The rest of their sports' TV rights are a pirmttance. Bottom line, ND can very easily make up their exit fees by going to the B1G.
That's not the way the GOR works. Unless they have a different arrangement for their other sports than the rest of the conference. But, you know what, I don't really care enough to carry on the conversation. Whatever it is it is. If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll read about it here.

Reaction Score
Would they be joining the BIG in football only? ND's other sports are covered under the ACC's gor until 2036. As of yet no one has found a way out of that. I'm not going to look it up but I think the football team is even contractually obligated to stay independent or join the ACC. Anything is possible though. It's really kind of the BIG to help them out.
Do you really think the B1G cares about any other ND sport besides football ?
If another sport say BB moved the needle we would be in the B1G.
Isn’t Hockey already in the B1G ?

Reaction Score
Do you really think the B1G cares about any other ND sport besides football ?
If another sport say BB moved the needle we would be in the B1G.
Isn’t Hockey already in the B1G ?
Nope, no they don't care at all. That's why ND put them there in the first place, because they don't care either.

Reaction Score
That's not the way the GOR works. Unless they have a different arrangement for their other sports than the rest of the conference. But, you know what, I don't really care enough to carry on the conversation. Whatever it is it is. If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll read about it here.
Explaining Notre Dame's realignment dilemma, ACC Grant of Rights fee ... so, worst case $100m and these usually get negotiated down and/or stretched out over a period of time. So, this will not be Notre Dame's driving factor to depart the ACC for the BIG. The B1G's new TV deal even has a clause for the potential future inclusion of ND.

Reaction Score
Here are ND's legal entanglements regarding the ACC:

--GOR until 2036 for all sports but football and hockey (No TV rights for those sports if ND exits).

--Exit fee...$120 million. Some talk that ND's may be lower but that is doubtful.

--Contract to play 5 ACC football teams per year through 2036 and,

--Contract that says if ND football joins a conference before 2036, it must be the ACC.

So, ND would have to try to "buy out" the GOR. Why would ACC even negotiate? How much $ is that?

ND would also breach two football related contracts and would have to settle damage claims for those.

How much would that cost?

Then, it would have to pay an exit fee.

(Is it even worth it when comparing what the Big Ten would pay minus the above and minus what ND football can get from NBC in 2025 (currently unknown) and what ND gets from the ACC----$17-20 million/yr. ??).

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

--GOR until 2036 for all sports but football and hockey (No TV rights for those sports if ND exits).

--Exit fee...$120 million. Some talk that ND's may be lower but that is doubtful.

--Contract that says if ND football joins a conference before 2036, it must be the ACC.

So, ND would have to try to "buy out" the GOR. Why would ACC even negotiate? How much $ is that?

ND would also breach two football related contracts and would have to settle damage claims for those.

Uncertainty is one of the best bullets GOR's have in the chamber.

If I were going to value the ND ACC GOR, the place I would start is Notre Dame's annual media distributions from the ACC times the number of years left on the GOR. So, $12M x 13 yrs = $156M. Although that sounds like a staggering amount, if Notre Dame were going to join the B1G, it's doable, although less so when you add the exit fee of 120 million, the breach of the game contracts, and the biggest question mark, what are the damages of reaching their promise not to join another conference until 2036.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uncertainty is one of the best bullets GOR's have in the chamber.

If I were going to value the ND ACC GOR, the place I would start is Notre Dame's annual media distributions from the ACC times the number of years left on the GOR. So, $12M x 13 yrs = $156M. Although, for us, that would be a staggering amount, yes Notre Dame were going to join the B1G, it's doable, although less so when you add the exit fee of 120 million, the breach of the game contracts, and the biggest?, What are the damages of promising not to join another conference until 2036?
ND received $17.4 million from the ACC per the 2022 ACC tax forms.

(It received $22 million from NBC as well). The NBC deal ends in 2025. They are currently negotiating.

ND gets a 1/3 share of the ESPN ACC TV deal and a 100% share of all ACC Network profits.

I think that ND's best option may be to renew a five year deal with NBC and keep the ACC status as is, for now.

Then, "monitor the landscape" in 2030 when the Big Ten TV deals are coming up for renewal and the ACC GOR clock is winding down.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
ND received $17.4 million from the ACC per the 2022 ACC tax forms.

ND gets a 1/3 share of the ESPN ACC TV deal and a 100% share of all ACC Network profits.

I think that ND's best option is to renew a five year deal with NBC and keep the ACC status as is, for now.

Then, "monitor the landscape" in 2030 when the Big Ten TV deals are coming up for renewal and the ACC GOR clock is winding down.
Agree, unless someone else decides to blow the whole thing up and gets enough others to join them. The good thing for Notre Dame is you will have a soft landing spot if that happens.

Reaction Score
Explaining Notre Dame's realignment dilemma, ACC Grant of Rights fee ... so, worst case $100m and these usually get negotiated down and/or stretched out over a period of time. So, this will not be Notre Dame's driving factor to depart the ACC for the BIG. The B1G's new TV deal even has a clause for the potential future inclusion of ND.
First paragraph last sentence. GOR still applies to other sports, meaning ND would forgo the rights to all other sports revenue until 2036. The 100mil is just for the football team. Better yet, read TerryD's post, he lays it out better than I and I'm tired of banging my head against a wall.

Reaction Score

(Is it even worth it when comparing what the Big Ten would pay minus the above and minus what ND football can get from NBC in 2025 (currently unknown) and what ND gets from the ACC----$17-20 million/yr. ??).
To make an obvious point, if the Big Ten and ND want to be married, they would not be stopped by the fact that the ACC would still have the broadcast rights to ND's home basketball games for the remaining term of the GOR (assuming the GOR is specifically enforceable, which I've never been overly sure about).

Reaction Score
Mike is a high energy spokesman. Really the perfect guy to be representing the program.
Yeah, but he wastes way too much time before getting to football. And the basketball msg needs to be simplified. Last quarter century 5 Natty's, no one else comes close. Women have 11 and would have had more had it not been for injuries. The Rent is where it is to be close to where the people are. It was built for expansion. List all the P5's UConn has beaten. Tell em what you told em. Conclude. Full stop. Less than 5 minutes. The problem with commentators is that they are paid to talk. A lot of talking is not what is needed. Keep it simple stupid.

Reaction Score
I have to admit to not even knowing who he is

He works for UConn? If he does, you are right he could have been alot better. I thought he was another blogger/ podcast guy.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but he wastes way too much time before getting to football.

I agree, If the school is paying him for PR he really needs to upgrade his football salesmanship. It was a weak effort football wise. Good lord remind people how good we were before being cutoff at the knees, and he basically crapped on the Rent. If he is being paid I would be furious if I were Benedict.

Reaction Score
This is effectively a Notre Dame message board much of the time. A lot of the posters are boomers still living in the 80’s when it comes to college football.
They would have to be because ND last won a football title in 1988 - 35 years ago! More undeserved hype - the laurels they're resting on are freaking fossilized...

Reaction Score
They would have to be because ND last won a football title in 1988 - 35 years ago! More undeserved hype - the laurels they're resting on are freaking fossilized...
Remember AIL Time Warner was going to rule the media world and IBM was the boss. Eventually ND will join them as there are much better products out there

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom