Azzi High School Player Of The Year | The Boneyard

Azzi High School Player Of The Year

Reaction Score
Not sure what this means with the abbreviated season, but the recognition is certainly nice and I think she's worthy of the consideration
worthy of the consideration
Really? If you think Paige is special, wait for her best friend to arrive. You're about to experience a dynamic duo the likes of which wcbb has rarely if ever seen. Azzi is a singular sensation . . .

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Regardless of the number of games she played, surely Azzi being named HS POY has to be BAD FOR WOMEN’S BASKETBALL!!!
From the article:

What is Fudd's ceiling?​

Carroll: Fudd was one of the first two females invited to Stephen Curry's fifth annual SC30 Select Camp. There, she outshot some of the top boys in the nation. Around the time Fudd committed to UConn, Curry, on ESPN, compared Fudd’s textbook jumper to Ray Allen and Klay Thompson. Given the hype around her shot and what she's already done as a young player, there's no limit to her potential.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone here is going to question the worthiness of the award but just the fact that her school didn't play very many games this season...
Since you brought it up . . .

Two games hardly established high school player "of the year."

But she is "prospect of the year 2021."

Reaction Score
I know she is great offensively, and an unbelievable shooter, but how is her defense. have not seen her that much other than a few clips. Paige is great on offense, but does not seem quick on defense, more she anticipates things to get a steal, which is great. But I get the impression that Nika is quicker on the D, better able to harass a ball handler. We need a lock down defender, but maybe we won't see one because the team plays such a team/help defense. Which is pretty good by the way. Or maybe Muhl, Williams and Griffin are great and I am blind. Very possible. I know on the golf course I hit the ball and somewhere between 125 and 150 yards out, it kind of disappears. Sometimes into the woods, but sometimes just into the sky. But I am glad it still goes 150.

AgStatesman

The Boards Most Rational Poster
Reaction Score
Not sure what this means with the abbreviated season, but the recognition is certainly nice and I think she's worthy of the consideration

It means our two top five players out of this class will win many more championships then South Carolina's three top five recruits.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Azzi touches on the elephant in the room in the article you cite @eebmg. Especially if UConn takes home the NCAA Championship the question becomes how can I top that? Sure Azzi talks about "team" and she'll be an excellent teammate, but she wants to be the best. It is in her DNA. These two "besties" play to outdo each other. Well, I guess she can strive to win NPOY next year.

“I don't really feel like there's pressure but I'd definitely say that I'm nervous just because I want things to go so well when I get there and I want to help make an impact on this legendary program," Fudd said. "I check in with Paige all the time and it's been a mix of her calling after a bad practice and her telling me, 'We have to be better,' and then after big games like the other night when she's just screaming on the phone celebrating with everyone else."

It's going to be a blast and a half next year. (Maybe I understated that???)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From the article:

What is Fudd's ceiling?​

Carroll: Fudd was one of the first two females invited to Stephen Curry's fifth annual SC30 Select Camp. There, she outshot some of the top boys in the nation. Around the time Fudd committed to UConn, Curry, on ESPN, compared Fudd’s textbook jumper to Ray Allen and Klay Thompson. Given the hype around her shot and what she's already done as a young player, there's no limit to her potential.
All I've heard from day one about Azzi was that she has more skills than Paige! My question to anyone was about her basketball IQ. Paige as we know is off the charts with her feel for the game. Someone who has seen Azzi play a lot confirmed to that her basketball acumen is Paige-like!! and they're besties...Makes for a combo that the women's game will not be able to handle.

Reaction Score
Why? Was it impossible for Paige?
My thoughts exactly... Azzi is coming in with NONE of the pressure that Paige had to deal with. Azzi is going to be allowed to be a true freshman. Her game will make the determination of her level of impact.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Azzi touches on the elephant in the room in the article you cite @eebmg. Especially if UConn takes home the NCAA Championship the question becomes how can I top that? Sure Azzi talks about "team" and she'll be an excellent teammate, but she wants to be the best. It is in her DNA. These two "besties" play to outdo each other. Well, I guess she can strive to win NPOY next year.

“I don't really feel like there's pressure but I'd definitely say that I'm nervous just because I want things to go so well when I get there and I want to help make an impact on this legendary program," Fudd said. "I check in with Paige all the time and it's been a mix of her calling after a bad practice and her telling me, 'We have to be better,' and then after big games like the other night when she's just screaming on the phone celebrating with everyone else."

Azzi has many chances to make her mark. Lets keep it simple and say she can be the most efficient player in history at all 3 levels, Maybe a 65/55/90 season. I take seriously the idea that Paige will feed Azzi endlessly good shots and she will drain so many. And Paige's assist numbers will go up alot as well.

Reaction Score
I know she is great offensively, and an unbelievable shooter, but how is her defense. have not seen her that much other than a few clips. Paige is great on offense, but does not seem quick on defense, more she anticipates things to get a steal, which is great. But I get the impression that Nika is quicker on the D, better able to harass a ball handler. We need a lock down defender, but maybe we won't see one because the team plays such a team/help defense. Which is pretty good by the way. Or maybe Muhl, Williams and Griffin are great and I am blind. Very possible. I know on the golf course I hit the ball and somewhere between 125 and 150 yards out, it kind of disappears. Sometimes into the woods, but sometimes just into the sky. But I am glad it still goes 150.
Paige has been playing hard defense, but I sense that she is operating under a “Do not foul” restraining order.

Reaction Score

I think the awarding authority wanted to right about "next year" performance on the current year HS POY, more than what was actually shown via significant playing time. They understand the skill set exhibited by AZZI over the past four years & her fantastic FULL recovery from her previous injury.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom