Azzi Fudd to UCONN | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd to UCONN

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, somebody is being disingenuous here. They appear to be standing next to each other with Paige maybe 6 inches closer to the camera, (based on where their shoes are) and neither is slouching or leaning over.

Paige appears to be at least 3-4 inches taller that Azzi. If in fact Azzi is 5-11, Paige is a minimum 6-2. Notice the height difference in their shoulders. That's a good thing......a tall guard. I see a lot of mismatches for UConn opponents in the near future. 6-2 guards are rare.
It's the camera angle. Paige is maybe 1' taller and is 5'11" to perhaps 6'0".

Reaction Score
It's perspective distortion - whomever is closer to the camera will appear bigger, and wide angle lenses can really exaggerate things when used up close.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

By coincidence, I sat behind Coach Scribner's mother at a game 2 years ago. She raved about what a sweet kid Azzi is and how much her teammates love her.

As I've said before, we are getting a uniquely talented basketball player and a truly wonderful person to represent UConn and the sport. Welcome, Azzi Fudd! You will be a Husky for Life!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As you know, UConn has signed #1 in four out of five years. Meg is gone, Christyn hasn't quite peaked, this year Paige gets her shot. Azzi is like a fine dessert: a bit too rich to be believed. This is a remarkable collection of not only talent but of really great people. The year we didn't get #1 is ironically the year we missed out on what we most needed: a dominant big.
But that's oddly the history of the Huskies. We get wonderful players and keep looking for a dominant big. Well, that's what a heaven is for . . . I feel super.

Recruiting in men's and women's Division 1 college is critical. Recruiting is the life blood of a college program. If you can pull in talented players year after year, your program should be able to compete with any other team at your particular level (elite, top 25, mid-major etc.). If not, you quickly become a bottom feeder in your conference, having difficulty reaching .500 every year. UConn's recent recruiting "hiccup" coincided with the departure of Marisa Moseley as she returned to her Alma mater (Boston University) as their new head coach. The relationships she had with players of interest on UConn's radar left with her.

A better than average or master recruiter is worth their weight in gold. Niele Ivey of Notre Dame and Jolette Law of South Carolina are but two examples. Look at the elite talent Law has been able to bring in at SC the last 3 years. She "shanghaied" Aaliyah Boston at the 11th hour from UConn, and was able to attract what some are ranking the #1 recruiting class in the country this year. With Jamelle Elliott back in the fold as a full time assistant coach and lead recruiter, UConn is back in business on the recruiting trail. UConn's future is bright and getting brighter everyday. :)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

By coincidence, I sat behind Coach Scribner's mother at a game 2 years ago. She raved about what a sweet kid Azzi is and how much her teammates love her.

As I've said before, we are getting a uniquely talented basketball player and a truly wonderful person to represent UConn and the sport. Welcome, Azzi Fudd! You will be a Husky for Life!

Milford, was you or SluConn husky that commented that you stood in proximity of Azzi and that in your opinion, she is a legitimate 5-11?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford, was you or SluConn husky that commented that you stood in proximity of Azzi and that in your opinion, she is a legitimate 5-11?
I have not stood next to Azzi. Not yet. But if SJC has a season, I'll ask her. Now that she has signed, I can talk to her within the rules.

I have stood next to Saylor. She's a full 6'2", as Road Warrior has attested.

Reaction Score
I propose that Magruber is Azzi's dad, Tim.

In addition to being a dad of the year candidate for all the caring and giving he has devoted (driving to Storrs Oct 22 so Azzi can surprise Paige on her birthday!!! Must have been 8 hours + each way). He has a great and ready smile and has seemed kind of playful (in a good way). And of course he would know for certain. We should encourage Magruber - maybe we'll get some inside stories as Azzi's career unfolds :) :cool:

Reaction Score
Re: Azzi

I guess we are about to go 250-0 over the next 5-6 years.....

With the second coming of Diana (Paige)

And the second coming of Maya (Azzi)
Lol.

Do you think we can be satisfied for a while now? Or do we need more?

We can still only play 5 players at a time. Last time I checked.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know who Magruber is,
1605214873499.png

Carnac

Reaction Score
Sadie Edwards is a graduate assistant in Indiana now. Too bad she has the talent but cannot play in WNBA.

From the outside looking in, I think her biggest mistake was leaving UConn. She didn't even give it a full year. She would have played had she stuck with it and earned her minutes like everyone else did. I think her parents had a lot to do with her leaving.

She started for USC the first two seasons. She became eligible in mid December of the following year. Then became a spot starter her senior year. Playing for Geno and playing for Cynthia Cooper was like night and day. Cooper is no longer there.

USC was going nowhere during her time there, finishing in the bottom half of the Pac 12 every year. There were/are no spotlights at USC. Sadie played in virtual obscurity. :( I followed Sadie the entire time she was here (USC). Even went to a home game during her time there. The team was average at best.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Recruiting in men's and women's Division 1 college is critical. Recruiting is the life blood of a college program. If you can pull in talented players year after year, your program should be able to compete with any other team at your particular level (elite, top 25, mid-major etc.). If not, you quickly become a bottom feeder in your conference, having difficulty reaching .500 every year.
No, simply not true at all. You can look any number of really good "coaches" who struggle with getting "elite" recruits and many really good recruiters who underdevelop them and thus underperform.
Lisa Bluder of Iowa, Scott Rueck of OSU, Doug Bruno of DePaul and heck Courtney Banghart of Princeton/UNC all are not elite recruiters (though Courtney just did great in 2021) but are very, very good coaches, outperforming their peers. As far as the other group-Holly, Karen Aston, Cori Close are 3 that recruited very well but yet 2 are unemployed and the 3rd has yet to win anything of consequence.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I have not stood next to Azzi. Not yet. But if SJC has a season, I'll ask her. Now that she has signed, I can talk to her within the rules.

I have stood next to Saylor. She's a full 6'2", as Road Warrior has attested.
Just remember, you keep shrinking a 1/4 inch each year after 70 so what used to appear 6'2" may really be 5'8"... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
From the outside looking in, I think her biggest mistake was leaving UConn. She didn't even give it a full year. She would have played had she stuck with it and earned her minutes like everyone else did. I think her parents had a lot to do with her leaving.

She started for USC the first two seasons. She became eligible in mid December of the following year. Then became a spot starter her senior year. Playing for Geno and playing for Cynthia Cooper was like night and day. Cooper is no longer there.

USC was going nowhere during her time there, finishing in the bottom half of the Pac 12 every year. There were/are no spotlights at USC. Sadie played in virtual obscurity. :( I followed Sadie the entire time she was here (USC). Even went to a home game during her time there. The team was average at best.
Agree 100%. If she stayed in UConn she can be as successful as Gabby or Kia. Those girls left UConn early most just disappear and no one can remember them.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Clay Kallam:

For the record, Fudd and her parents were on the same page ... no conflict there. I talked to her mom yesterday.

There are legit questions about Fudd's athleticism, but she's played very well, when healthy, on the biggest stages in the prep and club scenes. Production counts for something ...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Sadie leaving UCONN was the right move for her as it was for Courtney Ekmark. The reason it was the right move is because Kia Nurse turned out to be so damn good which nobody including Sadie could have foreseen.

Reaction Score
I think Sadie leaving UCONN was the right move for her as it was for Courtney Ekmark. The reason it was the right move is because Kia Nurse turned out to be so damn good which nobody including Sadie could have foreseen.
If this is true then Saniya Chong should not stay at UConn at all ... :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If this is true then Saniya Chong should not stay at UConn at all ... :)
:eek: Well since you mentioned it I'm not sure Saniya would have stayed if Brianna Banks had.
Keep in mind that Kia was the last addition to that class. Sadie was the highest recruit in that class and a PG. When Sadie signed on she was probably thinking worst case play behind Moriah for 2 season and she would be starting as a junior. Kia changed all that by being a better SG than Saniya and a better PG than Sadie. Gabby was also a guard and moved over to play with the post players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom