Azzi Fudd Cover Story feature, sportscenter at noon 2/25 [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd Cover Story feature, sportscenter at noon 2/25 [merged thread]

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Yes @JordyG, but I never could find information about the injury behind that other scar. Do you know? PS. I guess that scar has to do with harvesting the graft to use on her injured knee.
I don't know the medical term, but something was taken from her good knee and grafted into her damaged knee.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I get a kick out of attempts to compare Paige and Azzi. They are different, complimentary players. I can hardly wait until the debate next fall about whether Azzi will start as a freshman. Remember, we had a similar debate just recently.

Reaction Score
They've risen together. They've fallen. They've picked each other up. Now they know the future is theirs to own.

And that tantalizing future begins shortly. Fudd signed a national letter of intent with UConn last November, and excitement (or dread) for what a Bueckers-Fudd backcourt will look like has erupted ever since. Comparisons to the legendary Sue Bird-Diana Taurasi backcourt of the early 2000s are already being tossed about. Talk of extending -- or reviving -- perhaps the greatest dynasty in the history of sports is more than mere chatter.

Bueckers, in her freshman season, has blasted onto the college basketball scene, showing a swagger, a flashiness, in leading the Huskies to an 18-1 record and the No. 1 ranking. She's among the nation's leading scorers (20.5) and 3-point shooters, averaging 53.7% through her first 18 games.

And Fudd -- who once hit 256 NBA-range 3s in 18 minutes during a catch-and-shoot drill -- might be even better, bringing a steadiness, a constancy to match Bueckers' unrelenting flair.

In other words, they're a perfect pair.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Best quotes

Says Bueckers: "You just have to see us play. That would be a better way to explain it."

Back in Knoxville, Bueckers hops off the table and limps back onto the court. UConn is up two with 30 seconds to go. As the shot clock nears zero, Bueckers catches a pass on the left wing and shoots over a converging double-team. She lets out a roar as it slips through the net.

"I knew it was good because she's built for moments like that," Fudd says now.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
A little over a year ago, Yankee pitcher Gerrit Cole had a great comment, “Pressure is a privilege that you earn.” DT, Maya, Stewie and many other UConn WBB players thrived in pressure situations.

Paige has already demonstrated that she can deliver in high pressure games. I suspect Azzi will do the same. If these kids did not want the pressure of playing basketball at UConn, they wouldn’t have come to Storrs in the first place.
Pressure comes from within, others put expectations on people, the few who deflect the expectations of others are rare. We are lucky to have a number of players who refuse to accept the expectations of others as their expectations of themselves is usually much greater. An obvious example is Paige and CW, There are times CW looks like the weight of the world is on her shoulders, while Paige has that little devil on her shoulder don't mess with me no pressure persona.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I get a kick out of attempts to compare Paige and Azzi. They are different, complimentary players. I can hardly wait until the debate next fall about whether Azzi will start as a freshman. Remember, we had a similar debate just recently.
Just waiting for Geno to say, She is better than I thought she was.

Reaction Score
1. You don't have to wait 'till next fall, there are threads already dealing with that issue here. :rolleyes:

2. Did I hear correctly Paige proclaiming Azzi is the original "Buckets" (@ 0:35 mark). Now what, do we have Buckets #1 and Buckets #2...and if so, who is Buckets 1 and 2?

3. Paige up close and personal with that ice bag?

1614272830550.png

Reaction Score
What a great young person! If they both stay healthy, we will be hearing their names for the next 20 years as the greatest backcourt tandem in the history of women's basketball. I do mean in the world because they will be our backcourt for years in the Olympics and beyond.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yeah, they must be airing it in the 2nd hour of sportcenter. Sage Steele commented on Azzis Instagram that they would be airing it during sportcenter, but the video has already been attached in this thread.
Maybe time issues with unexpected Tiger coverage etc. ?

Reaction Score
Yes @JordyG, but I never could find information about the injury behind that other scar. Do you know? PS. I guess that scar has to do with harvesting the graft to use on her injured knee.
I am not a doctor nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night but I have some experience with this. My daughter tore her ACL in college basketball and in college lacrosse. There are 2 basic procedures. The first is an allograft in which tissue from a cadaver is used. it is a quicker recovery but perhaps not as durable. The second is an autograft from the opposite knee which is then put in as the ACL/MCL on the injured knee. Hence the scar on the opposite knee. It is a highly painful injury, surgery, and recovery and her mother was very rightly very proud of her comeback as I was for my daughter. This is a terrific kid who, with Paige, are going to be the role models, inspiration and gold standard for little and not so little girls all over the world for 20 years or more.

Reaction Score
I am not a doctor nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night but I have some experience with this. My daughter tore her ACL in college basketball and in college lacrosse. There are 2 basic procedures. The first is an allograft in which tissue from a cadaver is used. it is a quicker recovery but perhaps not as durable. The second is an autograft from the opposite knee which is then put in as the ACL/MCL on the injured knee. Hence the scar on the opposite knee. It is a highly painful injury, surgery, and recovery and her mother was very rightly very proud of her comeback as I was for my daughter. This is a terrific kid who, with Paige, are going to be the role models, inspiration and gold standard for little and not so little girls all over the world for 20 years or more.

You are correct to your second statement. The video does mention this @ the 4:10 mark.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom