Azzi’s freshman highlights | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azzi’s freshman highlights

Reaction Score
Yes, she can shoot. But, the use of screens and off-the-ball movement is just SICK.

Reaction Score
final 4 they should at least make, but it's not clear anymore to say that. In the past you could, but all it takes is one bad ugly game such as Ucf/Nc st and could be curtains that's why the tournament is unpredictable. If they win the title this season I will be surprised tho genuinely considering all the experience that has left and this is a relatively young team.
Okay but you did say UCONN is going to the Final Four. That was your prediction. Mine too!! We both see a strong team, right? And if it took two "escapes" with this past year's team in the NCAA, then actually how strong were they? Heck, they even lost 5 games during the year leading up to the Finals.

And as far as "experience left" vs " relatively young team," - this team has potentially 6 upperclassmen in which 5 have played "impact minutes." Last year, during most of the season, it was 4. While one got hurt early in the E8 game making it actually 3.

So - if it is all about the NCAA Tournament with experience, and this year's team has up to 6 potentially upperclassmen vs last year having just 3 beginning early in the E8 game, then how is it that they are "relatively young" vs this past year? It's potentially 6 vs 3. So there is more potential experience for this team, right?

So if experience is a heavy factor, and this team has potentially more, then we can agree that this year's team probably has a good shot to be better then last year's team, right?

Reaction Score
Okay but you did say UCONN is going to the Final Four. That was your prediction. Mine too!! We both see a strong team, right? And if it took two "escapes" with this past year's team in the NCAA, then actually how strong were they? Heck, they even lost 5 games during the year leading up to the Finals.

And as far as "experience left" vs " relatively young team," - this team has potentially 6 upperclassmen in which 5 have played "impact minutes." Last year, during most of the season, it was 4. While one got hurt early in the E8 game making it actually 3.

So - if it is all about the NCAA Tournament with experience, and this year's team has up to 6 potentially upperclassmen vs last year having just 3 beginning early in the E8 game, then how is it that they are "relatively young" vs this past year? It's potentially 6 vs 3. So there is more potential experience for this team, right?

So if experience is a heavy factor, and this team has potentially more, then we can agree that this year's team probably has a good shot to be better then last year's team, right?
if Aubrey had played last season she would have been a player in her 4th season but since she sat out whole season she basically is a jr. I can't recall the last time, I'm sure happened that a team won the ntl title without having a player without 3 seasons with same team under their belt winning then ntl title.

Reaction Score
if Aubrey had played last season she would have been a player in her 4th season but since she sat out whole season she basically is a jr. I can't recall the last time, I'm sure happened that a team won the ntl title without having a player without 3 seasons with same team under their belt winning then ntl title.
Bueckers, Edwards, and Muhl have 3 seasons.

Reaction Score
with all due respect is that all that is needed to win? Kelly Faris I could be wrong, but I don't remember her being an all-american and I guarantee you she was missed when she left. Azura Stevens left a season early, do you think she would have made a difference the following season? There are some players that are fits for a championship team, doesn't mean they have to be an all-american or the best player on the team.
With all due respect, UCONN has won 10 of 11 of their titles when they had a 1st team all-American become Most Outstanding Player in Final Four. The only year they won and that didn't happen was in 12-13 when arguably the greatest wcbb of all-time, Stewie, won it as a frosh. However, there were two other All-Americans on that team that helped Stewie that year. So, as the poster oldhuskie has said, there were no A/A's on this team. He’s right. And that we know that All-Americans are essential looking back at the past UCONN Championship teams.

In addition oldhuskie was correct when he mentioned 1st round draft picks. I think you may have missed that because the two players you cited were 1st round draft picks. This year there were none which I'm sure you know. But again I'm not sure why you are pressing so hard on all of this when in fact this past year’s team didn’t win a championship nor did Stevens. Yet you hold Paige’s comment of title or bust as The Bible.

Now, you have also indicated and we agree, that UCONN is going to be a terrific team this year as we believe UCONN is going back to the Final Four if they remain healthy. But the most important key is their health. And that means Azzi too.

A question for this thread though-- is will Azzi Fudd become an All-American this upcoming year? Because we know, based on what I've just mentioned to you, that an All-American is essential for UCONN winning it all. Of course we expect Paige to be, but the better Azzi can perform obviously makes the team better too.

I can't wait to see Azzi this year. I'd love to see if she can get off her shot easier, and also nail mid-range jump shots. – Her shot is just so smooth. And also important for Azzi; not got sick before any game vs a top opponent, especially South Carolina.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, UCONN has won 10 of 11 of their titles when they had a 1st team all-American become Most Outstanding Player in Final Four. The only year they won and that didn't happen was in 12-13 when arguably the greatest wcbb of all-time, Stewie, won it as a frosh. However, there were two other All-Americans on that team that helped Stewie that year. So, as the poster oldhuskie has said, there were no A/A's on this team. He’s right. And that we know that All-Americans are essential looking back at the past UCONN Championship teams.

In addition oldhuskie was correct when he mentioned 1st round draft picks. I think you may have missed that because the two players you cited were 1st round draft picks. This year there were none which I'm sure you know. But again I'm not sure why you are pressing so hard on all of this when in fact this past year’s team didn’t win a championship nor did Stevens. Yet you hold Paige’s comment of title or bust as The Bible.

Now, you have also indicated and we agree, that UCONN is going to be a terrific team this year as we believe UCONN is going back to the Final Four if they remain healthy. But the most important key is their health. And that means Azzi too.

A question for this thread though-- is will Azzi Fudd become an All-American this upcoming year? Because we know, based on what I've just mentioned to you, that an All-American is essential for UCONN winning it all. Of course we expect Paige to be, but the better Azzi can perform obviously makes the team better too.

I can't wait to see Azzi this year. I'd love to see if she can get off her shot easier, and also nail mid-range jump shots. – Her shot is just so smooth. And also important for Azzi; not got sick before any game vs a top opponent, especially South Carolina.
The question of Azzi achieving All-American status and elevating her game to that level, boils down to her ability to go from shooter to scorer IMO. Being a great spot up 3pt shooter is a given, but that by itself does not get you on an All-American team. We have seen glimpses of that, with some drives to the basket and mid-range pull up jumpers, but to a large extent Azzi has tried to fit into the offense rather than looking aggressively for her own shot.

I think Paige has a little more ability to create space to get off contested mid-range shots, but I think Azzi has the ability to do that too, and for her if she can get it off, a mid-range shot is easy. So like you I am looking forward to seeing how Azzi expands her game. It is already a very good backcourt combo if healthy, but if Azzi takes it to the next level, comparing Paige and Azzi to Sue and Diana as the greatest guard combo ever will be a valid comparison.

Reaction Score
It came to me in a dream: we will have 3 all-Americans this year. I know who I think they’ll be. Who do you think?

Reaction Score
It came to me in a dream: we will have 3 all-Americans this year. I know who I think they’ll be. Who do you think?
So Haley Jones Clark and Boston won't be all Americans? Find that hard to believe

Reaction Score
I know, it seems to misunderstand the very meaning of old men shooting the breeze in the off-season… as if our prognostications were somehow binding contracts. We don’t try to refute each other’s predictions, rather we make light of them and all have the more enjoyment as a result.

Reaction Score
I know, it seems to misunderstand the very meaning of old men shooting the breeze in the off-season… as if our prognostications were somehow binding contracts. We don’t try to refute each other’s predictions, rather we make light of them and all have the more enjoyment as a result.
If you notice that poster that replied to you reacts to a lot to positive posts with his own negative ones. He/She rarely makes a positive post and is often replying in the negative directly at positive posts. You made a harmless "positive support" post. OFC he had to reply in the negative.

He did make predictions on the the General Board- the Thread "Final Four Threats." Though it had a positive for UCONN, but that was obvious at the time before Paige being hurt. But ofc he/she couldn't let you have your post without being criticized. This poster feels he could make pre-season predictions but you drew the line when you went very positive for UCONN.

Reaction Score
If you notice that poster that replied to you reacts to a lot to positive posts with his own negative ones. He/She rarely makes a positive post and is often replying in the negative directly at positive posts. You made a harmless "positive support" post. OFC he had to reply in the negative.

He did make predictions on the the General Board- the Thread "Final Four Threats." Though it had a positive for UCONN, but that was obvious at the time before Paige being hurt. But ofc he/she couldn't let you have your post without being criticized. This poster feels he could make pre-season predictions but you drew the line when you went very positive for UCONN.
don't see how saying last season's team was more equipped to win the ntl title than this season's team is viewed as negative but all right. After the news today tho this debate doesn't really matter does it?

Reaction Score
don't see how saying last season's team was more equipped to win the ntl title than this season's team is viewed as negative but all right. After the news today tho this debate doesn't really matter does it?
If it was "just that" you'd have a point. But you are almost always pushing a negative slant against UCONN. Not just 1 subject. Look at the thread that had workout video of Page and Azzi. You had to make a negative post on that. You couldn't let it go to let others have a positive look at the highlights? The same with bonedog. He spoke of All-Americans, yet you couldn't let him have the comment without criticism?

It's as if you never heard of "2nd Team All-American or 3rd team A/A.” You could have let the comment go with na understanding of maybe that UCONN gets two others that are 3rd team. Or if a 2nd gets in as 3rd team and the other (3rd player) is Honorable Mention, are you gonna criticize him for it? Instead, you just can't resist posting negative. Just like you couldn't let go oldhuskie's positive points either. Instead you ignored a point he made just so you can criticize his other point(s).

You just twist anything you can to negative. I wonder why you Non-UCONN, PAC 10 fans bother. There are 2 of you that it just seems that you just can't resist taking shots to minimize UCONN.

Well now we got to hope Azzi has a big year. A big key is her health. She doesn't get off her shot easy. The team has to work vs the real good teams to get her the ball. If they don't have a full season to continually work on this, it's gonna be tough. Very tough. Last year's team at their peak now as you say probably better unless Azzi has a phenom season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There’s still reason to hope this year’s team will be even better than last year’s. Can you guess what I’m thinking?

Reaction Score
There’s still reason to hope this year’s team will be even better than last year’s. Can you guess what I’m thinking?
I agree. Could be. Last year's team had a short window of peak play. Azzi has to be great imo.

Reaction Score
Losing Paige may motivate them this time around. Last year, it happened mid year and threw them all (except maybe Evina) for a loop. They had to regroup and reimagine how the team would operate on the fly and with very little practice to prepare.

Nika will be ready. If Caroline’s hip is ready, she’s already shown she knows how to carry a team. If Azzi’s foot is healed, she will know how to “put the pedal to the metal” from the start. What Paige did against Arkansas, Azzzi will do all season long. If Dorka’s wrist is healed, she and Aaliyah will be unleashed, because she wants to make her last season count, and Aaliyah won’t give into the same early season swoon again. And Lou — she can get her shot off against D1 competition (she proved that last year) and she won’t be the only shooter teams have to stop.

A lot of If’s, I know. But here’s the biggest one of all. Amari Ice and Ayanna will rise to the occasion. CD and Jemelle will whisper a little magic in their ears, and they’ll come out fighting. At first, it will just be to fill a niche in the rotation. But by January, they’ll have gotten a taste of higher level competition, and more responsibility than they expected, and it will act like a heady liqueur on them. Ayanna first, after the first few opposing players bounce off her in the lane, and then Ice will feel the power of pulling down a rebound and hitting a long outlet pass, and they won’t be able to let go of that feeling. All Amari will need is to see her friend Paige sitting next to her on the bench to want to do more than she’s ever done. For her, it will start in the defensive end as soon as she rediscovers the thrill of blocking shots. And then she’ll find that she can pass from the high post just like Liv did last year. She has it in her.

That’s my optimistic reading of how the year will go for each of them. We’ll probably see the first signs of it against Iowa.
What’s your most optimistic reading of the season to come?

Reaction Score
My favorite highlight of Azzi's first season. NC State double overtime game. Azzi Fudd: Zero turnovers in 49 minutes.

Put the ball in her hands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom