Azzi’s freshman highlights | The Boneyard

Azzi’s freshman highlights

Reaction Score
I had high hopes last year that this group would be unstoppable. My hopes are even higher for this coming year, after running my eyes across the latest roster. Last year, I thought Paige and Azzi would be unstoppable, as would Olivia Aaliyah and Dorka.

But I had no notion then what Caroline would become, or that Aubrey would miss the entire season. Losing Olivia Evina and Christyn is significant, but Caroline Aubrey Nika Aaliyah Dorka is a formidable base to build on. No weak links in that group. Add Lou Ice Ayanna and Amari to that core, even if only two of them thrive, and this group will be even “nastier” than last season.

This is a group that Paige and Azzi can take all the way. My hopes are through the roof and up to the skies.

Reaction Score
We see some of the great mid-range pull up jumper, but I think that is the next big step for her. In her first injury plagued season she tended to stick to open 3 pointers. This season I think she will become more of a scorer creating her own shot off the dribble. She might not be able to create as much space for it as Paige, but with the ability to stop on a dime and a quick release she can get her own much more than last year, and a mid-range jumper for her is close to a layup.

She just needs more confidence and experience to take it herself more often IMO, and I expect that to happen this year on a healthier foot.

Reaction Score
I had high hopes last year that this group would be unstoppable. My hopes are even higher for this coming year, after running my eyes across the latest roster. Last year, I thought Paige and Azzi would be unstoppable, as would Olivia Aaliyah and Dorka.

But I had no notion then what Caroline would become, or that Aubrey would miss the entire season. Losing Olivia Evina and Christyn is significant, but Caroline Aubrey Nika Aaliyah Dorka is a formidable base to build on. No weak links in that group. Add Lou Ice Ayanna and Amari to that core, even if only two of them thrive, and this group will be even “nastier” than last season.

This is a group that Paige and Azzi can take all the way. My hopes are through the roof and up to the skies.
can this team be a well oiled machine yes, but I don't see how this team is better than last season when you lose 3 starters who were sr and the backbone of the team.

Reaction Score
Azzi is a very talented young women. To me, the one big thing that I would like to see from her is a high level of consistency where she performs at a high level of scoring and defense in every game. That is the excellence of Paige doing what she does every game and that is what every UConn player should do.

Reaction Score
can this team be a well oiled machine yes, but I don't see how this team is better than last season when you lose 3 starters who were sr and the backbone of the team.
Well. People are expecting consistence and improvement from Azzi (already and better shooter than CW and EW) also better/meaner banging and rebounding from Ice/AP and Dorka (better than Liv) Ducharme will attack the rack like a wild
1659214676697.jpeg
banshee and knock down 3s from distance. The cherrie on top is Paige doing what she does. I can see why people believe this team will be better.

Reaction Score

Fudd and Ducharme having a year of experience makes them an upgrade to Williams/Westbrook on their scoring ability alone. And the combination of Brady/Patterson makes up for ONO.
It's not a knock on the graduates. The UConn freshman classes of 21 & 22 were just loaded.

Reaction Score
Fudd and Ducharme having a year of experience makes them an upgrade to Williams/Westbrook on their scoring ability alone. And the combination of Brady/Patterson makes up for ONO.
It's not a knock on the graduates. The UConn freshman classes of 21 & 22 were just loaded.
you think in their 1st season both those players can replace 4 years of Ono? Idk about that, the things those 3 players did don't show in the boxscore. Leadership and knowing where every player is a special thing. Can those players in a few seasons be better than those 3, possibly, but the combined playing years of those 4 players are going to be 6 seasons. Keep in mind that Fudd and Ducharme both were hurt and not healthy and missed games.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I commented last summer that I thought the 21-22 team would be UConn's best chance to win a championship because of the talent and its senior leadership. They made it to the championship game, but couldn't finish.

Looking at this year's team, I'm not so sure this team isn't better than last year's even though we lost 3 seniors.
Several teams have upgraded their rosters by recruiting top level players and help from the portal.

If this team plays up to its potential, I think this team can play and hold their own with anyone including South Carolina. There were no undefeated teams last year. Can any team run the table this year? The last team to go undefeated was the 2015-2016 UConn team (38-0). I think it's much harder to repeat than win one. We'll see.

Reaction Score
you think in their 1st season both those players can replace 4 years of Ono? Idk about that, the things those 3 players did don't show in the boxscore. Leadership and knowing where every player is a special thing. Can those players in a few seasons be better than those 3, possibly, but the combined playing years of those 4 players are going to be 6 seasons. Keep in mind that Fudd and Ducharme both were hurt and not healthy and missed games.
You won’t win this argument. Yes both those players can replace Liv. Brady’s skill set is better and AP is physically stronger and possibly meaner. I’d bet dollars to donuts that both players also have high basketball IGs

Reaction Score
Many of us will have different criteria we define as ":better" differently. That poster (socal) you replied to and others on here that go by the wrong type of belief that its "Championship or bust"- they might look at if UCONN doesn’t at least make the Finals then the season is worse. But it's a misguided belief (if anyone is using it that way) misinterpreting what Paige and Geno have said of same quoted comment above without taking other comments and goals from them into account. So they've cherry-picked 1 sentence from Paige and Geno to justify their incorrect assumptions.

Anyhow if I were to bet to-start-the season (which I won't), I would bet with them in this case if you take the position of "Championship or Bust in determining “the better team.” The odds to begin the season are probably not 50% or higher getting to the Finals. So some can believe if you don’t get to at least the Finals then you aren’t as good as last year.

But if anyone were to look at it like that - I think it shallow/wrong to do. Bottomline is that I expect UCONN to make the Final Four then from there a 50-50 “type” of Final Four game to advance. And a lot depends on injuries.

And as to the subject of this thread, -- Azzi Fudd; Didn't we hear that even as just a month ago that she was still dealing with an injury (though minor)?
UCONN has 5 players that had injury issues last year that can be anywhere from absolute-need to critical-core type-of-need. UCONN has 5 recuperating players. At the beginning of the season, how much do you “bet” they will be healthy enough (the team) to get back to the Finals? And if Paige and Azzi aren’t 100%? Especially Paige? But if UCONN is healthy from start to finish with all their players, then they are a much better basketball team than the injury-laded 2021-2022 team. Three seniors missing from last year vs this year will have nothing to do with it. And Azzi being healthy will be better than any of the last year seniors anyway. As this thread shows- many Azzi highlights and in big situations too.

But if Azzi is not healthy, it's a big hurt for UCONN unless Caroline and Lou are extremely consistent. However, UCONN would be quite a bit weaker because of it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Many of us will have different criteria we define as ":better" differently. That poster (socal) you replied to and others on here that go by the wrong type of belief that its "Championship or bust"- they might look at if UCONN doesn’t at least make the Finals then the season is worse. But it's a misguided belief (if anyone is using it that way) misinterpreting what Paige and Geno have said of same quoted comment above without taking other comments and goals from them into account. So they've cherry-picked 1 sentence from Paige and Geno to justify their incorrect assumptions.

Anyhow if I were to bet to-start-the season (which I won't), I would bet with them in this case if you take the position of "Championship or Bust in determining “the better team.” The odds to begin the season are probably not 50% or higher getting to the Finals. So some can believe if you don’t get to at least the Finals then you aren’t as good as last year.

But if anyone were to look at it like that - I think it shallow/wrong to do. Bottomline is that I expect UCONN to make the Final Four then from there a 50-50 “type” of Final Four game to advance. And a lot depends on injuries.

And as to the subject of this thread, -- Azzi Fudd; Didn't we hear that even as just a month ago that she was still dealing with an injury (though minor)?
UCONN has 5 players that had injury issues last year that can be anywhere from absolute-need to critical-core type-of-need. UCONN has 5 recuperating players. At the beginning of the season, how much do you “bet” they will be healthy enough (the team) to get back to the Finals? And if Paige and Azzi aren’t 100%? Especially Paige? But if UCONN is healthy from start to finish with all their players, then they are a much better basketball team than the injury-laded 2021-2022 team. Three seniors missing from last year vs this year will have nothing to do with it. And Azzi being healthy will be better than any of the last year seniors anyway. As this thread shows- many Azzi highlights and in big situations too.

But if Azzi is not healthy, it's a big hurt for UCONN unless Caroline and Lou are extremely consistent. However, UCONN would be quite a bit weaker because of it.
the best player on the team said at Uconn "it's ntl titles or nothing," not sure why the goal every season is not to win the ntl title. Going back to the team being better this upcoming season than last season feels like becoming a snide at the 3 graduating players, again yes some games in the tournament maybe have been inconsistent or not upto the standard we hold players, but they still can't be replaced in the span of a season by 2 freshman, nothing can convince me of that.

Reaction Score
My default position is optimism, so I always assume there will be no injuries. On that assumption, we’re a lock to roll up the Big East, and it think it’s fair to say we’re very likely to make the final four. From there, I think we’d have to be favored to make the NC game, and at least even odds to win it.

I don’t waste my time worrying about what can go wrong before the season even starts. What’s the point of that??? If something should go wrong, I’ll cry about it then, and my wife will poke fun at me for it. But none of you guys get to poke fun at me.

Reaction Score
the best player on the team said at Uconn "it's ntl titles or nothing," not sure why the goal every season is not to win the ntl title. Going back to the team being better this upcoming season than last season feels like becoming a snide at the 3 graduating players, again yes some games in the tournament maybe have been inconsistent or not upto the standard we hold players, but they still can't be replaced in the span of a season by 2 freshman, nothing can convince me of that.
If Nan says it's okay to talk about this I'll do so. But she closed a thread just 2 days ago when this topic was brought up. Might have been the tenor of the comments/thread though. So, all I'll say is that you cherry-picked Paige's comment and left out other comments. And others using that sentiment cherry-picked Geno's similar comments but left out his other comments related to you and other's posts on this subject.

I'm done unless Nana says okay on the "Championship or Bust" comment until another day. Though imo that is the sentiment that is the core why maybe you and others might look at "being better" comparing this past year vs the current one coming up. :) Using that outlook I did say I agree with you in that limited scope (which is wrong imo to use). Bonedog spoke of being an optimist but I spoke of odds and/or betting. There is too much risk with UCONN's health to so "easily assume" they will get to Finals imo from an odds perspective.

Anyhow looking forward to Azzi Fudd being healthy this year. If she is healthy and Paige is also healthy, the game is so much easier for the other players.

Reaction Score
I agree with Fudd and Ducharme being better than Williams/Westbrook this year. Part of that is because statistically they were better last year. Both Fudd and Ducharme to my recollection had higher PER (player efficiency rating) than either Williams or Westbrook, in their freshmen season when both were dealing with injury issues.

So logically they were already better, are more likely to be healthier this year, and from freshmen to sophomore is the year when most college returnees show their greatest improvement. The statistical difference was minor last year but they could be quite a bit better this year. In Ducharme's case there is another factor. While I expect her to start, if she doesn't improve she might be playing behind Lou who also "could" wind up better than Williams or Westbrook were as seniors.

I think the argument for improving on Ono's senior year is a tougher call. My best estimate would be that Brady and Patterson wind up being as good as Ono, but I don't necessarily expect that in their first year. As for Dorka her numbers at Uconn and Ohio State suggest she might be a little worse, but not much compared to Ono, but there are reasons to believe her Uconn efficiency will improve this year.

Her numbers at Ohio State were better than her first year at Uconn, but remember she was a C at Ohio State. At Uconn she was more like a third big, playing as much at PF as C. When teamed with Liv she wasn't used much as a low post option. This year she is the C, will play almost exclusively there, and should get far more plays run for her down low.

So it is possible to improve on Liv, but far less certain IMO. Dorka should be near Liv level at her natural position and the freshmen might be that good but that is asking alot from freshmen. Regardless I thing the guards and wings will be significantly better.

Reaction Score
I agree with Fudd and Ducharme being better than Williams/Westbrook this year. Part of that is because statistically they were better last year. Both Fudd and Ducharme to my recollection had higher PER (player efficiency rating) than either Williams or Westbrook, in their freshmen season when both were dealing with injury issues.

So logically they were already better, are more likely to be healthier this year, and from freshmen to sophomore is the year when most college returnees show their greatest improvement. The statistical difference was minor last year but they could be quite a bit better this year. In Ducharme's case there is another factor. While I expect her to start, if she doesn't improve she might be playing behind Lou who also "could" wind up better than Williams or Westbrook were as seniors.

I think the argument for improving on Ono's senior year is a tougher call. My best estimate would be that Brady and Patterson wind up being as good as Ono, but I don't necessarily expect that in their first year. As for Dorka her numbers at Uconn and Ohio State suggest she might be a little worse, but not much compared to Ono, but there are reasons to believe her Uconn efficiency will improve this year.

Her numbers at Ohio State were better than her first year at Uconn, but remember she was a C at Ohio State. At Uconn she was more like a third big, playing as much at PF as C. When teamed with Liv she wasn't used much as a low post option. This year she is the C, will play almost exclusively there, and should get far more plays run for her down low.

So it is possible to improve on Liv, but far less certain IMO. Dorka should be near Liv level at her natural position and the freshmen might be that good but that is asking alot from freshmen. Regardless I thing the guards and wings will be significantly better.
ok so you brought up stats for those players, how about defensively? Do you think Ducharme and Fudd will be better defensively in their 2nd seasons than Westbrook/Ono/ and Williams? I don't.

Reaction Score
ok so you brought up stats for those players, how about defensively? Do you think Ducharme and Fudd will be better defensively in their 2nd seasons than Westbrook/Ono/ and Williams? I don't.
I absolutely think Azzi and Caroline will be at least as good as Christyn and Evina on D. The issue is whether either of them will match Evina's heart -- and I suspect they will. Check out Caroline in the Xavier highlights above to see why I think so. I'm not sure Dorka can match Liv's shot blocking. But I think we'll be able to defend the rim just fine.

Reaction Score
Obviously they are not better defensively comparing player vs player with these 4. But overall Fudd will certainly be a better player than both. Hopefully Ducharme will be, right? She did have a flash of several games that she was clearly the go-to and yet won't have to be that this upcoming year if the team is healthy.

The team's defense takes a definite hit. However if Aubrey Griffin is healthy, it takes much less of a hit. Of the 9 players that got essential minutes during this past season, 6 are returning and UCONN is adding Griffin. And as mentioned if Griff is healthy then that's a huge bonus.

But I'm not sure why you are driving so hard here. You have indicated you have UCONN as a Final Four Team. Heck the past two years to get there The Huskies couldn't have been any closer to losing and this year they weren't even a 1 seed. You probably are not a UCONN fan (which is fine), so why so much effort trying to build up last year's team when you think they didn't accomplish much anyways considering the past 2 years they barely squeaked through while you said UCONN is Final Four for this upcoming year?

Reaction Score

They aren't replacing her. Juhasz, Edwards, DeBerry, Brady & Patterson are replacing Juhasz, Edwards, Deberry and ONO. First season? Look at Edwards. She was a massive contributor as a freshman, starting 6 games and was key in the win over Baylor. Both Brady & Patterson are coming in more highly touted than Edwards and while that isn't a guarantee it certainly is a positive.

Reaction Score
On the defensive end you might be right, although I think it could be close. On the offensive end the big difference is perimeter shooting. Williams and Westbrook were way above average players, but by Uconn standards they were very mediocre 3pt shooters and FT shooters. Azzi and Lou are proven great shooters, and I expect Caroline to be that too. Her first year she was very effective scoring mid-range and inside and given her reputation and results in numerous 3pt contests I have to believe her percentage from beyond the arc will jump substantially this year.

The three graduating players will all be missed, but we did not lose any All Americans, or first round draft picks, or players in the Huskies of Honor, or players that would be ranked in the top 15 or so from the program. For most programs they would have been among their all time greats, but for this program they were more middle of the pack.

Reaction Score
Obviously they are not better defensively comparing player vs player with these 4. But overall Fudd will certainly be a better player than both. Hopefully Ducharme will be, right? She did have a flash of several games that she was clearly the go-to and yet won't have to be that this upcoming year if the team is healthy.

The team's defense takes a definite hit. However if Aubrey Griffin is healthy, it takes much less of a hit. Of the 9 players that got essential minutes during this past season, 6 are returning and UCONN is adding Griffin. And as mentioned if Griff is healthy then that's a huge bonus.

But I'm not sure why you are driving so hard here. You have indicated you have UCONN as a Final Four Team. Heck the past two years to get there The Huskies couldn't have been any closer to losing and this year they weren't even a 1 seed. You probably are not a UCONN fan (which is fine), so why so much effort trying to build up last year's team when you think they didn't accomplish much anyways considering the past 2 years they barely squeaked through while you said UCONN is Final Four for this upcoming year?
final 4 they should at least make, but it's not clear anymore to say that. In the past you could, but all it takes is one bad ugly game such as Ucf/Nc st and could be curtains that's why the tournament is unpredictable. If they win the title this season I will be surprised tho genuinely considering all the experience that has left and this is a relatively young team.

Reaction Score
On the defensive end you might be right, although I think it could be close. On the offensive end the big difference is perimeter shooting. Williams and Westbrook were way above average players, but by Uconn standards they were very mediocre 3pt shooters and FT shooters. Azzi and Lou are proven great shooters, and I expect Caroline to be that too. Her first year she was very effective scoring mid-range and inside and given her reputation and results in numerous 3pt contests I have to believe her percentage from beyond the arc will jump substantially this year.

The three graduating players will all be missed, but we did not lose any All Americans, or first round draft picks, or players in the Huskies of Honor, or players that would be ranked in the top 15 or so from the program. For most programs they would have been among their all time greats, but for this program they were more middle of the pack.
with all due respect is that all that is needed to win? Kelly Faris I could be wrong, but I don't remember her being an all-american and I guarantee you she was missed when she left. Azura Stevens left a season early, do you think she would have made a difference the following season? There are some players that are fits for a championship team, doesn't mean they have to be an all-american or the best player on the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom