Ayanna vs Ashlynn | The Boneyard

Ayanna vs Ashlynn

Reaction Score
I watched a replay of Homestead vs Noblesville on YouTube last night. You get a really good view of Ashlynn's potential against Ayanna's team. It's a rout. Homestead struggled against superior guard play.

But the interesting thing is how Ashlynn plays. There's a wonderful economy to her game. She seems a bit slow-footed at first, and then halfway through the game she's blowing past defenders. She ended up with 25 pts and Ayanna had 24. In a rematch in February, a similar result, and Ashlynn had 13 pts, 13 rebounds, 5 assists, and 3 steals.

Reaction Score
I only watched some of those games. I had a hard time understanding how Patterson's team was No 1. Other than her, the team seemed very small and not very talented. And that is what may hold Patterson back for a while as she catches up on team skills.

Reaction Score
Ayanna is difficult to critique in such games but if you watch her in USA basketball or on all star teams you can see her talent get realized more clearly. Both players will clearly help us.
The thing about their first game was that Ashlynn ran over Homestead's guards and then Ayanna guarded her, effevtively, in the 2nd half. Guarding the perimeter, Ayanna was surprisingly good. Another way of looking at it, they had to put a 6'2" player on Ashlynn to contain her.

Reaction Score
The thing about their first game was that Ashlynn ran over Homestead's guards and then Ayanna guarded her, effevtively, in the 2nd half. Guarding the perimeter, Ayanna was surprisingly good. Another way of looking at it, they had to put a 6'2" player on Ashlynn to contain her.
One thing about Patterson that struck me was how quickly she could move her feet (and her body) from A to B. Everyone (me too) is focused on her vertical but she could become a defensive stopper against players like Clark, tall guards who are used to shooting over their defenders.

Reaction Score
In an interview after the first game, Ayanna said how impressed she was with Ashlynn’s game, said something to the effect of Ashlynn had leveled up.

Reaction Score
LOL at self.

When I saw the thread title, I thought of Ayanna vs. Ashlyn Watkins of SCar. The two heralded dunkers of the 2022 class. I guess it shows that my mind is always on Dawn's gals even when reading UConn threads.

Reaction Score
One thing about Patterson that struck me was how quickly she could move her feet (and her body) from A to B. Everyone (me too) is focused on her vertical but she could become a defensive stopper against players like Clark, tall guards who are used to shooting over their defenders.
I don't think she is ever going to be a defensive stopper against a player like Clark, who is far too quick even for Ayanna. I can see her being effective maybe in pick and roll switches at the top of the key though. I can see her as a defensive stopper in the 4 slot. I can see her as a 10 rebound a game player. I can see her shot above 50% mainly from putbacks and still score 10 points a game even as a Freshman. I just don't see her being assigned to stop a quick guard like Clark.

Reaction Score
I don't think she is ever going to be a defensive stopper against a player like Clark, who is far too quick even for Ayanna. I can see her being effective maybe in pick and roll switches at the top of the key though. I can see her as a defensive stopper in the 4 slot. I can see her as a 10 rebound a game player. I can see her shot above 50% mainly from putbacks and still score 10 points a game even as a Freshman. I just don't see her being assigned to stop a quick guard like Clark.
Patterson has speed, length, and athleticism to make Clark's job difficult. Maybe not year 1, but I think by her sophomore year she will be more than able to defend on the perimeter. Clark is not far too quick for Patterson.

Reaction Score
Patterson has speed, length, and athleticism to make Clark's job difficult. Maybe not year 1, but I think by her sophomore year she will be more than able to defend on the perimeter. Clark is not far too quick for Patterson.
Whether guarded by Patterson or another Huskie, unless you bring MoJeff back, you are unlikely to stop Clark, just need to slow her down a bit. Conversely, Patterson is part of a long list of Huskies that individually and as a team will be difficult to slow down next year.

Reaction Score
How many times have we seen a guard dribble by a big for a layup. I'm just not buying it. It's a crazy idea. No way Geno assigns Ayanna to stop Clark except on pick and roll switches.

Reaction Score
How many times have we seen a guard dribble by a big for a layup. I'm just not buying it. It's a crazy idea. No way Geno assigns Ayanna to stop Clark except on pick and roll switches.
I've seen plenty of guards dribble by bigs for layups. You see it all the time actually. What you dont see all the time are 6'3" long, and mobile athletes like Patterson. Didnt Geno put Griffin on Ionescu a few years ago for a few possessions? If she has develops on the perimeter I dont see why she wouldn't be deployed out there. It's crazy to put a normal big on Clark, but I dont think Patterson fits that typical mold.

Reaction Score
I've seen plenty of guards dribble by bigs for layups. You see it all the time actually. What you dont see all the time are 6'3" long, and mobile athletes like Patterson. Didnt Geno put Griffin on Ionescu a few years ago for a few possessions? If she has develops on the perimeter I dont see why she wouldn't be deployed out there. It's crazy to put a normal big on Clark, but I dont think Patterson fits that typical mold.
If she develops on the perimeter then it would mean she would be brutally hard to guard at the 4 spot because her ability to handle the ball. She'd be much quicker than nearly all 4's. I doubt she will be proficient her 1st couple of years shooting from 3. So the 1st thing she might be able to develop is a mid-range game rather than 3 point shooting. But her strength would still be either attacking the basket or scoring inside. IMO that seems to be she is going to be a 4 mostly with an ability to switch out on defense just like Edwards can do. But Patterson seems quicker - as you suggest she seems pretty darn quick for her size. Which imo is super potential for becoming an offensive weapon someday in addition to an all-around terrific defender.:):)

Reaction Score
If she develops on the perimeter then it would mean she would be brutally hard to guard at the 4 spot because her ability to handle the ball. She'd be much quicker than nearly all 4's. I doubt she will be proficient her 1st couple of years shooting from 3. So the 1st thing she might be able to develop is a mid-range game rather than 3 point shooting. But her strength would still be either attacking the basket or scoring inside. IMO that seems to be she is going to be a 4 mostly with an ability to switch out on defense just like Edwards can do. But Patterson seems quicker - as you suggest she seems pretty darn quick for her size. Which imo is super potential for becoming an offensive weapon someday in addition to an all-around terrific defender.:):)
Sorry, I am on my phone. I text faster than I can think sometimes, so there's many typos. And I guess I should have been more specific. I was thinking more on the defensive side of the ball in her first couple of years. I think if she could defend on the perimeter she would make a big impact. If the other team plays small, or even if they have an offensive challenged 4, I think Geno could put her on the perimeter defensively. UConn has Ducharme and Lou as big guards that could be serviceable defensively at the 4. Of course its match up dependent, but if the better offensive player is on the wing, I can see Patterson taking that role.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I am on my phone. I text faster than I can think sometimes, so there's many typos. And I guess I should have been more specific. I was thinking more on the defensive side of the ball in her first couple of years. I think if she could defend on the perimeter she would make a big impact. If the other team plays small, or even if they have an offensive challenged 4, I think Geno could put her on the perimeter defensively. UConn has Ducharme and Lou as big guards that could be serviceable defensively at the 4. Of course its match up dependent, but if the better offensive player is on the wing, I can see Patterson taking that role.
We agree. We like her all over!!! :):):)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom