Ayana Patterson 2022 #3 Ranked Player UConn in Final 5 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Ayana Patterson 2022 #3 Ranked Player UConn in Final 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If she chooses UConn, that's probably it for that class together with Ice. Evina would be definitely moved on with Anna and Aubrey seniors and getting ready to exit. A wing has the best opportunity for big minutes as a sophomore and beyond than a guard.

I have a hard time seeing any of the top true guards picking UConn in 22 with what we'll have. I see some guards choosing UConn in 23 and 24.
Predict Geno will reach over to Europe for 22 guard. We often forget about the worldwide UConn women's basketball brand image. UConn experience seems to do well preparing players for Euro leagues.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
IMO, what makes Geno one of the great coaches in women’s basketball isn’t his ability to draw top players, although he does, or his X’s and O’s; it’s his ability to cover up his team’s worst flaws. Yesterday’s game is a perfect example. This year’s team is not a great shooting team so Geno has emphasized defense to speed up opponents, force turnovers, and get out in transition where the Huskies are deadly. Geno said as much after the game. (See below). I never count out the Huskies for that reason.

One thing about recruiting, Geno doesn’t zero in on the highest ranked kids - he’s bypassed many. He looks for talent, desire to win, and versatility, among other things. The versatility allows players to alter their play to help Geno cover the flaws. For example someone that’s methodical and who wants only to play in the half court won’t thrive at UConn. So by recruiting versatile players, Geno has options to cover the ugly up. This, to me, is a big part of his greatness.

I seem to notice that the rating services have a way of sharply raising the ratings of kids who've committed to UConn!!! Seems they find a way to follow Coach Geno, rather than the reverse!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yes I realize that but being from the state of Indiana I'm sure she has been to both Indiana and Notre Dame. Does anyone know if she has visited Louisville at some point, or UCLA before this recruiting blackout period happened?

I remember a picture Amari Deberry posted at some point awhile back on Instagram..I believe that had Azzi in it and a couple other highly ranked players including Ayanna and she made some sort of comment about trying to recruit them or something along those lines. Maybe Amari and Azzi were able to persuade her. Would be a huge pickup!
If we are able to pick up Aynnaya, THAT would kick off our weekend in a HUGE way, and get it started on the right foot!!! Patterson is on the very top of MY recruit want list. There are others on my list, but she is on the top!! Numero uno. ;)

I'm sure that within minutes after her reveal, her choice will be posted here in the yard. I'm expecting to see: Patterson to UConn. Not a prediction, just hope. Keep hope alive. :)

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Copied from ND poster Luke from Aryanna's dad;
On the recruiting side of things, Mr. Patterson is very involved in Ayanna's recruitment due to how close they are. Ultimately, he said, "it's her decision, and I just want her to make sure it's the right decision because it's not just about basketball for her - it's about the academic side too. Basketball only lasts for a little while and then it's life after basketball."
In the end, Mr. Patterson said, "I think that obviously (she's) going to go from girlhood to womanhood. I think that it should be a family - an extension of your family. I'll be turning her loose, so mentorship is important. She'll leave me as a girl, and she'll return as a woman, so the people that she's around is important. We believe in honesty, helping her accomplish her goals. We don't like used car salesman and people who tell you whatever in order to get the kid. Obviously, we want a coach that is committed to being there. The academic side is most important."

Reaction Score
I don't think she is going to UCLA but it sounds like UCLA received some good recruiting news yesterday? Hopefully about a different player?

Carnac

Reaction Score

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Copied from ND poster Luke from Aryanna's dad;
On the recruiting side of things, Mr. Patterson is very involved in Ayanna's recruitment due to how close they are. Ultimately, he said, "it's her decision, and I just want her to make sure it's the right decision because it's not just about basketball for her - it's about the academic side too. Basketball only lasts for a little while and then it's life after basketball."
In the end, Mr. Patterson said, "I think that obviously (she's) going to go from girlhood to womanhood. I think that it should be a family - an extension of your family. I'll be turning her loose, so mentorship is important. She'll leave me as a girl, and she'll return as a woman, so the people that she's around is important. We believe in honesty, helping her accomplish her goals. We don't like used car salesman and people who tell you whatever in order to get the kid. Obviously, we want a coach that is committed to being there. The academic side is most important."
That to me says it's likely UCLA or Notre Dame as they're the standouts academically of the 5 programs. Also, his comments about womanhood make me think it's more likely she's going to a school coached by a woman, but we'll find out soon enough.

Reaction Score
That to me says it's likely UCLA or Notre Dame as they're the standouts academically of the 5 programs. Also, his comments about womanhood make me think it's more likely she's going to a school coached by a woman, but we'll find out soon enough.
Dont forget CD. She has been there as long as GA and then all assistants are female as well.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I suppose comments can be interpreted in a multitude of ways. I recall that Breanna Stewart recently recognized CD for impact on developing players into well-rounded women off the court.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I saw that too. Where there's smoke........................ ;)
The skinny on the ND Board is that Ivey is pushing them out the door. I speculate that the portal will fill with quite a few good players and Ivey wants room. There is some other smoke having to do with Ivey being hostile to players who do not verbalize on social issues in alignment with her. I don't think anything will come of this. There is some other stuff on Muffet's Bench including the handling of the firing of the senior assistant as Ivey came in. With the precipitous decline of ND there is a lot of rumbling.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The skinny on the ND Board is that Ivey is pushing them out the door. I speculate that the portal will fill with quite a few good players and Ivey wants room. There is some other smoke having to do with Ivey being hostile to players who do not verbalize on social issues in alignment with her. I don't think anything will come of this. There is some other stuff on Muffet's Bench including the handling of the firing of the senior assistant as Ivey came in. With the precipitous decline of ND there is a lot of rumbling.
A house divided................................:)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I seem to notice that the rating services have a way of sharply raising the ratings of kids who've committed to UConn!!! Seems they find a way to follow Coach Geno, rather than the reverse!
Not sure this is true. Both Saylor and Amari dropped per HG after announcing for UCONN.

Reaction Score
I just wish someone could explain why she would choose Norte Dame over UConn? They are a hot mess right now and seem to be heading in the wrong direction. Not only are they bad on the court but seem to be imploding off the court as well! Who would want to tie themselves to what looks (at this point) like a sinking ship? I don’t see good things on the horizon for Ivey and company!

Reaction Score
I just wish someone could explain why she would choose Norte Dame over UConn? They are a hot mess right now and seem to be heading in the wrong direction. Not only are they bad on the court but seem to be imploding off the court as well! Who would want to tie themselves to what looks (at this point) like a sinking ship? I don’t see good things on the horizon for Ivey and company!
Not saying she will go to ND or UCONN etc. I always felt Azzi was coming so I'm not one to imply negative. But she derfnitely can feel ND is better for many reason. I'll just give three.

1-- Playing time.
2-- Close to home.
3-- She likes ND University better in terms of academics and the football scene etc.
----------
I think in my bias view you go to UCONN. You are shooting to play pro ball and pro ball is going to be your life. That's your number 1 academic. You want to play on the Olympics etc. You can build a super, super, super life from that. That's your number 1 goal for the moment - it should be imo. Don't put the cart before the horse. Work toward your number 1 goal.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score

Its about 90 miles from her home could be a reason. Lots of kids go to a school due to distance and especially during a pandemic kids want to be close to home. That distance can have her family at every home game. Bloomington (IU) is about a 3 hour drive should she pick the Hoosiers. The B1G schools offer the option of family attending away games since Purdue (West Layfayette) and Ohio State (Columbus) is 2-3 hour drive.

Kids weigh these things as well. Its all about what is most important for the student athlete.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She is a teenager.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am confused, wasn't Ivey MM's recruiting coordinator so she recruited all of those players to ND and now she's booting them from ND? She left ND in April of 2019 and returned in April of 2020 so the Sam Brunelle/Aniya People's class was hers and the Westbeld/Hayes/Campbell/Abdur-Rahim/Marshall class were Juniors in HS so she had a strong hand in their recruitment. There's something a tad disingenuous about this if true. Why couldn't she find playing time for some of these players who are clearly talented? I was hoping to lessen my distaste for ND with the Ivey hire but yet, here I am not thinking I like her either...:oops:

Reaction Score
Predict Geno will reach over to Europe for 22 guard. We often forget about the worldwide UConn women's basketball brand image. UConn experience seems to do well preparing players for Euro leagues.
I agree with you now. That was an old post of mine. Based on Geno's latest conversation, I say he could go 1 more top US recruit with Ice, a European big guard happy to be at UConn, and a Irwin/Bent type US player who will be a great teammate.

Reaction Score
I am confused, wasn't Ivey MM's recruiting coordinator so she recruited all of those players to ND and now she's booting them from ND? She left ND in April of 2019 and returned in April of 2020 so the Sam Brunelle/Aniya People's class was hers and the Westbeld/Hayes/Campbell/Abdur-Rahim/Marshall class were Juniors in HS so she had a strong hand in their recruitment. There's something a tad disingenuous about this if true. Why couldn't she find playing time for some of these players who are clearly talented?
1) we don’t know they were ‘booted’
2) sometimes players get to campus and things don’t work out — Geno certainly has had players like that
3) Hayes was not as good as Miles and doesn’t strike me as someone content to be a backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom