Ayana Patterson 2022 #3 Ranked Player UConn in Final 5 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ayana Patterson 2022 #3 Ranked Player UConn in Final 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If she chooses anyone aside than ND or Indiana it will be a major upset. I would think that if she would have visited UConn and met the team, our chances would have been much higher.
Really? With all the under this or that teams along with AAU circuits and camps, do you think she doesn't already know the UConn players? Please.

Plus. If she wants to win championships and has half a brain, she has to see Paige and Azzi along with their "puppy crew" and go I gotta go there. ND is a complete hot mess right now. That is not going to get fixed overnight.

Reaction Score
UCLA doesn’t have the appeal that other top 10 programs have. Cori Close has not won anything, and the school is not necessarily Uber supportive of wcbb. They seldom rate a mention on the 10:00 news. Too many other college and professional teams playing at the same time.

Coach Close and her staff have a “firm” relationship with all of the high school and local AAU coaches to the point that she gets first dibs on most of the local talent here in the southland. If you’re from this area, then UCLA or USC look attractive because they are the only MAJOR D1 programs in So Cal. The rest are mid-majors.
Really. I would like to see Geno win without talent. Heck he gets Paige Becker now getting Fudd. I expect him to win. Give that talent to Cori maybe she will win everything. You need talent to win, Wooden won because he Kareem, great coaches win with talent. Lots of teams have not won everything so everyone should go to Conneticut?

Reaction Score
You bring up a good point about available scholarships, since players were granted an extra year of eligibility, some programs may have a limited number of scholarships available in the next few years.
The extra year that a player chooses won't count against the limit. It could come down to whether schools are willing to put up the cash for those extra scholarships after the financial hit they've taken.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The extra year that a player chooses won't count against the limit. It could come down to whether schools are willing to put up the cash for those extra scholarships after the financial hit they've taken.
The NCAA has specifically NOT made any ruling about extra scholarships for people choosing to stay five years. At this point the 15 scholarship limit for women's teams is still in force and counts regardless of whether someone is staying an extra year.

Reaction Score
ND is not going to be good for awhile if you ask me. I’ve watched quite a few of their games and they have literally no one. Maybe the two recruits next year will be good who knows but they really do seem far off. With that being said, I doubt she comes here. Too many players who play her positions and they are good. She looks like a 3/4 and we are stacked there. She may be as talented or better than all of them, but I think it’s actually a deterrent. I think I would go to Louisville if I were her, over ND Indiana or UCLA.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
People writing off Notre Dame prematurely. With Westbeld, Peoples, Miles, Citron, and Marshall when she returns from injury they will have a great base. Add Patterson to that and then think about it.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
People writing off Notre Dame prematurely. With Westbeld, Peoples, Miles, Citron, and Marshall when she returns from injury they will have a great base. Add Patterson to that and then think about it.
Add in Brunelle if she gets her conditioning in check...

Reaction Score
Is she gonna have a conference to announce her final choice like diamond deshields? LOL

Reaction Score
A little strange to me that HS juniors would commit during this spring if they are not already strongly connected to a specific school. At some point during this spring/summer the dead period will end and recruits will be able to visit schools and get a first hand feel for them. Their really isn't any deadline on commitments until the early signing window.

I guess there may be a few schools that are so tight to maximum scholarships that it would make sense, bust most top ten players are going to be dealing with that I think, and again that would imply a very strong lean for the recruit.
Since we're in supposition and speculation mode I'll just throw this out there:
I have a strong hunch that she has already made her decision and wants to announce early to help that team in their further recruiting efforts. My gut tells me it is Notre Dame and the intent (with Niele Ivey's nod) is to let all prospective recruits know that Notre Dame BB has a few blue chippers on board and will be seriously good.
According to a Dillon77 post: When Niele took the HC job last year, the first three calls she made to prospects were: Olivia Miles, Sonia Citron and Ayanna Patterson. One's on campus (Miles), the other is coming (Citron)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since we're in supposition and speculation mode I'll just throw this out there:
I have a strong hunch that she has already made her decision and wants to announce early to help that team in their further recruiting efforts. My gut tells me it is Notre Dame and the intent (with Niele Ivey's nod) is to let all prospective recruits that Notre Dame BB has a few blue chippers on board and will be seriously good.
You may be onto something here. But Miles and Westbeld are about all the blue chippers I see.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Really. I would like to see Geno win without talent. Heck he gets Paige Becker now getting Fudd. I expect him to win. Give that talent to Cori maybe she will win everything. You need talent to win, Wooden won because he Kareem, great coaches win with talent. Lots of teams have not won everything so everyone should go to Conneticut?
RF, you completely missed the point of my narrative, the crux of which was that UCLA (and Cori Close) IS NOT as attractive to recruits as other programs. Just because it's a high profile (and low 12.3% acceptance rate - 2020) school in an upscale part of town close to the ocean does not make it a place players want to go to. UCLA is not as culturally diverse as some other top ranked schools.

No one GAVE Geno anything. No one is going to give Cori Close anything. Close is a good coach doing the best she can. She's in a tough conference. Stanford is now back to being the elephant in the room in the PAC 12. Oregon has abdicated the throne. I understand and appreciate that you don't agree. I respect that, but I'm calling it like I see it.
I played in Pauley Pavilion in my youth (during the Sidney Wicks/Curtis Rowe era). I've been on that campus and the campuses of ALL of the large 4 year academic institutions here in Southern California. UCLA is nice, but would not be my first choice if I were an elite wcbb recruit looking for a top ranked college program to play for.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I really miss players who sign their letters of intent on the hood of their car and fax it in at their dad's office.

Patterson isn't doing anything unusual in her announcement. Only thing different between this and, say, what Aaliyah Edwards did is because of the virus Patterson will be announcing at a park rather than at her school.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yea I guess I was not successful in trying to bash UCLA in a low key way. I just don't get it, in much the same way I didn't get why TN was showing up on kids top 5 or whatever when Holly was the coach. Cori has had a number 1 recruiting class and has failed to even make a FF. I. can't hardly think of a former UCLA player making an impact in WNBA. Must be the weather because it can't be the basketball for HS players that have the talent & say they aspire to be in the W.
These three come to mind as recent Bruin grads in the WNBA. Burke is not an "impacter" yet, but I think one can say Canada has become a solid part of the Seattle rotaton.

• Jordin Canada
  • Monique Billings
  • Kennedy Burke

Reaction Score
Thought about and I still think they will be a barely top 25 team at best.? I’ve watched them play and they just aren’t any good, even individually, the talent level is definitely not where it needs to be.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Thought about and I still think they will be a barely top 25 team at best.? I’ve watched them play and they just aren’t any good, even individually, the talent level is definitely not where it needs to be.

Marshall's out. They add Miles and Citron next year after Miles got a taste late. By '22 when Patterson is a freshman those three will be sophomores, Westbeld a junior, and Peoples a senior. That's top-10 talent, and who knows what they could add to their '22 class and through transfer.

Reaction Score
RF, you completely missed the point of my narrative, the crux of which was that UCLA (and Cori Close) IS NOT as attractive to recruits as other programs. Just because it's a high profile (and low 12.3% acceptance rate - 2020) school in an upscale part of town close to the ocean does not make it a place players want to go to. UCLA is not as culturally diverse as some other top ranked schools.

No one GAVE Geno anything. No one is going to give Cori Close anything. Close is a good coach doing the best she can. She's in a tough conference. Stanford is now back to being the elephant in the room in the PAC 12. Oregon has abdicated the throne. I understand and appreciate that you don't agree. I respect that, but I'm calling it like I see it.
I played in Pauley Pavilion in my youth (during the Sidney Wicks/Curtis Rowe era). I've been on that campus and the campuses of ALL of the large 4 year academic institutions here in Southern California. UCLA is nice, but would not be my first choice if I were an elite wcbb recruit looking for a top ranked college program to play for

Reaction Score
First off, I am not sure what constitutes attractiveness. Beauty is the eyes of the beholder. 1st, I have always assumed recruiting is about relationships less about the school. Obviously, the school and education may be next in order of importance. How about climate of the area? I grew in Jersey made lots of friend growing up, love the Northeast ( my dad hated it) but I now live in Southern California and having gone back East on vacation, I would consider where I live and the climate here the best all year long. UCLA is a beautiful campus in a nice area. I went to school at Un of Florida and got my master at USC but USC is in the dumps as far as South Central, but lots of athletes pick that school for football and basketball for god knows what reason, I don’t know.

Reaction Score
Some coaches with lots of talent win more than other coaches with lots of talent! Why? Because they are simply better coaches. Do you actually believe that Cori would have come close to Geno’s record if she had been hired by UConn instead of him?

Reaction Score
Marshall's out. They add Miles and Citron next year after Miles got a taste late. By '22 when Patterson is a freshman those three will be sophomores, Westbeld a junior, and Peoples a senior. That's top-10 talent, and who knows what they could add to their '22 class and through transfer.
Even if those players pan out as they potentially could, no one really knows how good of a head coach Ivey will be. While possible, it is certainly not probable that ND will win a NC or even be a final four team in the next four years. UConn, on the other hand....

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Even if those players pan out as they potentially could, no one really knows how good of a head coach Ivey will be. While possible, it is certainly not probable that ND will win a NC or even be a final four team in the next four years. UConn, on the other hand....

I'm not convinced of UConn's greatness in the next year or two yet. Just haven't seen the development with the non-freshmen as I'd hoped. The '21 and '22 classes are crucial as it appears to me now.

Reaction Score
Some coaches with lots of talent win more than other coaches with lots of talent! Why? Because they are simply better coaches. Do you actually believe that Cori would have come close to Geno’s record if she had been hired by UConn instead of him?
Talent is relative. Not all talent is created equal. And no I do not think Cori is as good a coach as Geno. I just think getting the top recruit in multiple years is not the same as Cori having one good recruiting year and expecting her to make it to win a championship. Geno has gotten the top recruit in California pretty much when he wants, Cori gets what’s left over after Stanford picks next. She gets good talent but not good enough to win a championship. I think it has nothing to do with the schools or the previous history of those schools and more to do with Cori not really been a good recruiter because she may not be relating to the recruits, my opinion.

Reaction Score
I'm not convinced of UConn's greatness in the next year or two yet. Just haven't seen the development with the non-freshmen as I'd hoped. The '21 and '22 classes are crucial as it appears to me now.
UConn will definitely win at least 2 with Paige and Azzi. And as far as Notre Dame, I respect your opinion because you are very ahead of the game as far as knowing the women before college, but I usually, not always but usually can tell if a player is a good piece to the puzzle at least and I just didn’t see that this year. Maybe one or two seemed like keepers and that’s not enough nowadays. Also for some reason they all seemed out of shape. I watched at least 8 full games of them and they don’t look good. Saying I would keep two of them, is reaching. Nothing like the ND teams of old. I think they will be back but it’s gonna take awhile. If they get Patterson it will be the start, not the finish.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
UConn will definitely win at least 2 with Paige and Azzi. And as far as Notre Dame, I respect your opinion because you are very ahead of the game as far as knowing the women before college, but I usually, not always but usually can tell if a player is a good piece to the puzzle at least and I just didn’t see that this year. Maybe one or two seemed like keepers and that’s not enough nowadays. Also for some reason they all seemed out of shape. I watched at least 8 full games of them and they don’t look good. Saying I would keep two of them, is reaching. Nothing like the ND teams of old. I think they will be back but it’s gonna take awhile. If they get Patterson it will be the start, not the finish.

We'll see. I still recall the 2017 and 2018 seasons both of which should've ended in titles.

Reaction Score
Does a recruit really need to visit a school or make Zoom calls to know what these 5 schools are all about? As far as "seeing" their potential team/players, most have probably played with them on various teams already. Who's to say, just like Azzi, she doesn't have a BFF on one of the 5 teams already and want's to play with that player? (not saying Azzi actually picked UConn not because of Geno/UConn but Paige ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom