Ayana Patterson 2022 #3 Ranked Player UConn in Final 5 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ayana Patterson 2022 #3 Ranked Player UConn in Final 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's not her dad. Her dad, Andre Sr, played at New Mexico State in the 80's. Her older brother, Andre Jr, was recruited and played a season or two at UCLA then finished his playing career at Tennessee. Andre Sr. is from New York and played at Benjamin Franklin HS in Harlem and among his teammates was Walter Berry who starred at St. John's. Andre Sr ended his CBA career at Fort Wayne, IN and never left. So there's hope since there's a East Coast family connection!

Here's one article about the father and son, published when Ayanna may not yet have been born.

Here's an article about father and daughter, with more info on her dad, too.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While we know Patterson hasn’t visited UConn yet, I am wondering if she showed up at a UConn game this season? DePaul and Butler were both drivable, and I believe friends & family were allowed at those games.

Reaction Score
Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering how a daughter of a Utah Jazz employee was living in Fort Wayne Indiana.

Reaction Score
I’d be the happiest fan here in the yard if she verbals to UConn. Right now, I’m not feeling that “vibe.” But what do I know? I thought for sure that Aliyah Boston was coming to Storrs. I believe she was, but got kidnapped and shanghaied on the way. :confused:
Yes, I don’t have a great feeling on this one either.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’ll be very surprised if she goes anywhere but UConn. I don’t think she’s worried about not getting playing time. She knows Geno will find a way to play difference makers and she knows she is a difference maker. Also, she knows that UConn is the only one of her finalists where she will almost certainly win at least one national championship and probably two or three. This is pretty exciting! I can’t wait for the 20th!
Cuango, I wish I had your optimism. If she comes to UConn, SHE WILL PLAY!! Her gifts and skills will make room for her. Like all freshmen, I won’t expect that much from her that first year. It’s those last 3 that I will expect her to shine and rise to the status of an elite player. She’s going to be a very good player no matter where she go. She will flourish and reach her potential for sure and more quickly at some programs more than others.

I recall what Evina Westbrook related during a media interview last year about the differences being in Tennessee’s program versus UConn’s. Looking at the number of transfers every year in wcbb, it’s obvious that mistakes or errors in judgment are made by coaches and players. Sometimes logistics play a part in a recruit’s decision (Charli Collier wanted to stay close to home) and sometimes it doesn’t (Diana Tarusi & Katie Lou Samuelson - Southern California). We’ll see.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She will be a beast in a few years but I think she’s going to ND

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UCLA did not come in 2nd for Christyn Williams. Final 2 were UConn and South Carolina.
My memory may be getting bad but I thought SC was a late addition thanks to Joylette and there was the God awful bike ride on the UCLA visit that rule out UCLA.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just a note from long ago: UCLA came in second in the Dee chase.
Yea I guess I was not successful in trying to bash UCLA in a low key way. I just don't get it, in much the same way I didn't get why TN was showing up on kids top 5 or whatever when Holly was the coach. Cori has had a number 1 recruiting class and has failed to even make a FF. I. can't hardly think of a former UCLA player making an impact in WNBA. Must be the weather because it can't be the basketball for HS players that have the talent & say they aspire to be in the W.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Midwest Hoops Spotlights on Patterson:

The junior recently won a couple honors including IBCA Underclass Supreme 15 and ICGSA first team all-state. Patterson is a highly athletic and lengthy forward with a great deal of skill to combine with her 6’3” height. She is an explosive player that can really score around the basket as well as from the mid-range. On the opposite end, she is a tough and very versatile defender with her agility and length.

Patterson will be making her commitment later this month on the 20th at 5:30pm. Whoever lands her will be getting possibly the best 2022 player in the nation.

Reaction Score
If she chooses anyone aside than ND or Indiana it will be a major upset. I would think that if she would have visited UConn and met the team, our chances would have been much higher.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, Patterson has not yet gotten to visit any of the schools that have given her offers. However, she has been able to learn about some of those schools by having Zoom visits with them.

“I enjoyed seeing the campuses [and] their culture. And they explained a little bit about what they do in their program,” Patterson said. “They talked about schooling and everything. So it was just a great experience, not being able to be there, but being able to see everything.”

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A little strange to me that HS juniors would commit during this spring if they are not already strongly connected to a specific school. At some point during this spring/summer the dead period will end and recruits will be able to visit schools and get a first hand feel for them. Their really isn't any deadline on commitments until the early signing window.

I guess there may be a few schools that are so tight to maximum scholarships that it would make sense, bust most top ten players are going to be dealing with that I think, and again that would imply a very strong lean for the recruit.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Just a note from long ago: UCLA came in second in the Dee chase.
UCLA doesn’t have the appeal that other top 10 programs have. Cori Close has not won anything, and the school is not necessarily Uber supportive of wcbb. They seldom rate a mention on the 10:00 news. Too many other college and professional teams playing at the same time.

Coach Close and her staff have a “firm” relationship with all of the high school and local AAU coaches to the point that she gets first dibs on most of the local talent here in the southland. If you’re from this area, then UCLA or USC look attractive because they are the only MAJOR D1 programs in So Cal. The rest are mid-majors.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If she chooses anyone aside than ND or Indiana it will be a major upset. I would think that if she would have visited UConn and met the team, our chances would have been much higher.
I wouldn't discount ND but Indiana would be a major surprise because Paatterson has been holding an Indiana offer since she was in 8th grade or 4 years ago.

Carnac

Reaction Score
A little strange to me that HS juniors would commit during this spring if they are not already strongly connected to a specific school. At some point during this spring/summer the dead period will end and recruits will be able to visit schools and get a first hand feel for them. Their really isn't any deadline on commitments until the early signing window.

I guess there may be a few schools that are so tight to maximum scholarships that it would make sense, bust most top ten players are going to be dealing with that I think, and again that would imply a very strong lean for the recruit.
You bring up a good point about available scholarships, since players were granted an extra year of eligibility, some programs may have a limited number of scholarships available in the next few years.

Reaction Score
Good player, but does she really need to make a big announcement? Makes me want her less.

Reaction Score
There’s been no in person recruiting for anyone for the past year so I don’t believe that will be a factor in her decision. Kids can’t take official visits to campus until Aug. 1st of their JR year so she wasn’t able to take any of her 5 allowed.

Reaction Score

For a lot of the top tier kids who know what they want and don’t need or want the constant attention, they’re more than happy to end the emails and phone calls and solidify their spot.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For a lot of the top tier kids who know what they want and don’t need or want the constant attention, they’re more than happy to end the emails and phone calls and solidify their spot.
But then why put out a top 10 or top 5 list. If you put out the list, you must be curious about the schools on it - why not arrange to visit after the NCAA lifts the dead zone?

Reaction Score
But then why put out a top 10 or top 5 list. If you put out the list, you must be curious about the schools on it - why not arrange to visit after the NCAA lifts the dead zone?
No idea. Just a kid’s thing that seems to have started with social media. I agree with you and that’s why I like Brady so much. I believe she had close to 40 offers as a FR but she doesn’t do social media so nobody really knew and she just took care of business because she knew what she wanted. I hope this is a similar scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom