August WNBA thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

August WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
ROY version of Crystal showing up early for the Liberty. 7pts mid way through 1st Q and Liberty playing some beautiful cutting basketball

Reaction Score
A disaster of a start for Minnesota on Fowles last home game, trail 30-10 after the first quarter

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A disaster of a start for Minnesota on Fowles last home game, trail 30-10 after the first quarter
Too much pressure in these all time player sendoff's Storm had a bit of a clunker in Sue's sendoff

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
NY looked like they were gonna win by a blowout, then tried to give it away. Recovered to win by 10.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
NY looked like they were gonna win by a blowout, then tried to give it away. Recovered to win by 10.
With teams losing left and right at home, I would give up home court advantage. Hope Liberty don't have a stinker at Barclay on Sunday

Reaction Score
Skylar is deeply affected by the BG situation that is why I wish ppl would not scrutinize her because everyone handles pain differently.

Reaction Score
Absolutely wonderful post-game sendoff for Sylvia Fowles, exchanging hugs and sharing special moments all around for one of women's basketball's all-timers, and certainly as classy as they come. The WNBA and sports will miss her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Mercury taking over in 3rd. A 28-14 quarter. Deshields and Cunningham balling out.

Reaction Score
Mercury taking over in 3rd. A 28-14 quarter. Deshields and Cunningham balling out.
No BG, No Tina, No DT, No SDS, No Kia, No Problem. The gritty starting 5 has put Phoenix in position to clinch before their game Sunday if Connecticut wins at home vs. Minnesota. If that doesn't happen, it would behoove the Merc to have LV take care of business at home, therefore rendering the game meaningless for the Sky as a locked-in 2 seed.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Seattle got off to their usual strong start, leading by 30-10 after Q1. Tina and Jewell led the scoring. Gabby was dynamic with 7 assists and 3 steals. She makes a highlight play in every game. I hope she makes 1st team All-Defense. I recall games in which she shut down Arike and Kelsey Mitchell. She's also good at driving and kicking, as well as leading the break. I think Seattle won by 27. They clinched 4th place and will host Washington. Minnesota needs a win and a loss by either NY or Phoenix, I believe. They own all the relevant tie-breakers, I think.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Looks like Mercury have the best shot, major clutch performance for all of the "leftover" players. I hope they can get to the playoffs after enduring all of the off the court issues among the 4 Olympians.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And Crystal with Flashbacks to her freshman Baylor game. Note in particular multiple beautiful back door cuts and stop on dime mid range jumpers that would have Geno clapping

Reaction Score
Skylar is deeply affected by the BG situation that is why I wish ppl would not scrutinize her because everyone handles pain differently.
None of us know what is going on. Remember when Holdsclaw retired mid season after asking for a trade? People went nuts and wondered why she quit on the team. It turns out she was battling pretty severe mental illness. Not saying that’s what is going on with SDS. It could be a simple as she quit on the team, or it could be something else.

Reaction Score
Yes, they claimed an ankle injury until this afternoon.

Even with Billings returning, I think that NY has too much talent and depth and will win at least 1 & probably both vs the Dream. As much as I think players like Caldwell and Hillmon are underrated, I currently place them as 7th or 8th players (could move up in the future) and they have both been pressed into a starter's role. Cheyenne Parker is also underrated IMO, but she is still not as good as the top player on just about every other team's original roster.

Very intriguing Storm/Lynx game for a multitude of reasons.

Edit: didn't see your post @JellyBean until mine hit
It was very evident based on the result of last night's game, even with Atlanta getting closer in the end. Agree re Caldwell and Hillmon as no one expected either to contribute at this level.

Reaction Score
That’s not a reason to quit on her team
I think that's kinda harsh. I wouldn't fault anyone in the league who knows BG from doing whatever they have to do to get mentally right because this whole situation is scary and draining and that's just from a fan perspective. I can't even imagine if one of my close friends was a predicament.

But at the end of the day we still don't know why she left. I'm holding judgement until we get an actual answer, for all we know, she could be enduring a Ruthie Bolton type situation. The only player I would claimed quit on their team this season is Hayes, being "injured" to end the season, and miraculous being available to play overseas is ridiculous.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think that's kinda harsh. I wouldn't fault anyone in the league who knows BG from doing whatever they have to do to get mentally right because this whole situation is scary and draining and that's just from a fan perspective. I can't even imagine if one of my close friends was a predicament.

But at the end of the day we still don't know why she left. I'm holding judgement until we get an actual answer, for all we know, she could be enduring a Ruthie Bolton type situation. The only player I would claimed quit on their team this season is Hayes, being "injured" to end the season, and miraculous being available to play overseas is ridiculous.
You wouldn't consider Cambage or Charles as quits?

Reaction Score
You wouldn't consider Cambage or Charles as quits?
I totally blocked out Cambage from my mind(lol), she's definitely one as well. I still give Charles the benefit of the doubt because we still don't the exact reason and apparently it was mutual decision according to Phoenix.

Reaction Score
It was very evident based on the result of last night's game, even with Atlanta getting closer in the end. Agree re Caldwell and Hillmon as no one expected either to contribute at this level.
I think that it works to the Liberty's advantage psychologically that they won by 10 (5 or 6 would have been better), instead of 20+. I will say their talent and depth (huge output by the bench vs Dallas and huge output by starters vs Atlanta in their last 2 games) helps them prevail en route to a playoff berth. IMO, the Dream's best chance is an explosion (with 45+ fg%) by Howard, but I don't anticipate that happening to carry them to victory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99