August UConn recruiting thread | The Boneyard

August UConn recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
  • This is a UConn-only recruiting thread
  • Any posts that stray off topic will be deleted. Please start a new thread if you aren’t discussing recruiting

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
The month of July was hot and heavy for girls AAU basketball tourneys. We were given a plethora of info on any number of UCONN recruits and POI's. One of my top three potential future Huskies had nary a mention except to note an absence of her here on the BY. Anyone have updates on Olivia Olson? Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score

I'd go hard after both Olson and Prince. It's still early for 2024s to be narrowing their lists so don't limit yourself, you can never have too many playmakers especially kids with size in the 6 foot range. The game has changed and the teams that can spread the floor and have the most playmakers will be the most successful. I think Olson will be more of a wing, a Haley Jones who can shoot, that will create matchup problems inside as well with her quickness and length.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have a sense of how to compare Olson and Prince? I've watched a lot of Olson's games and only highlight reels of Prince. Olson is a crafty guard/wing who is comfortable driving the lane and shooting the 3. But she's not super speedy. Prince looks similar to me, and also not fleet of foot. Don't get me wrong, they both run the court well. But I'm just wondering where we'll get the lightning quickness we had with MoJeff from. We haven't really been that sort of team in the last few years. This has made us vulnerable to teams with a speedy pg, like Aari McDonald or Destine Henderson.

Will KK or Imari Berry be that guard for us?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Does anyone have a sense of how to compare Olson and Prince? I've watched a lot of Olson's games and only highlight reels of Prince. Olson is a crafty guard/wing who is comfortable driving the lane and shooting the 3. But she's not super speedy. Prince looks similar to me, and also not fleet of foot. Don't get me wrong, they both run the court well. But I'm just wondering where we'll get the lightning quickness we had with MoJeff from. We haven't really been that sort of team in the last few years. This has made us vulnerable to teams with a speedy pg, like Aari McDonald or Destine Henderson.

Will KK or Imari Berry be that guard for us?
KK Arnold will make you happy

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Ashlynn Shade makes the UA Elite 24 roster for a game that will be televised on ESPN U at 5 PM eastern on Friday, August 12th.

The rosters are flush with UConn targets including 2024's Olivia Olson, Sarah Strong, Blanca Thomas, Jaloni Cambridge, Joyce Edwards, Adhel Tac, and 2025's ZaKiyah Johnson, Darianna Alexander, Jasmine Davidson

Reaction Score
This is essentially what Aaliyah Edwards looked like in the summer before her senior year. Watch the Canadian national hs game (like McDonald's only BioMetal, iirc) and you'll see it. Maybe we'd call her a point forward. She regularly brought the ball up the court for that game, distributed the ball, drove the lane from the top of the key. What we don't know -- yet -- is what Prosper's work ethic is like.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
ASGR names Jaloni Cambridge as their new #1 for 2024 supplanting Joyce Edwards.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
AAU write-up:

FZC2oXgUIAAPMtG

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2025 Jasmine Davidson | NW Select (OR)

The Truth. The Answer. The (fill in the black)…I was so impressed with this kid. She has feathery touch around the rim and a tremendous feel for the game. My favorite thing about her is that she knows she’s good and has to do ALOT for her team but her demeanor and business like approach are that of a professional. Skill, size, length, and basketball IQ combination is most serious as my boy Jason Key would say. Davidson is the real deal and was magnificent against very stiff competition.

2024 Ava Heiden | NW Select 2023

Wow. Having just set my eyes on her for the first time, I must say, I was extremely impressed. She was so powerful and dominant in the paint. Ava put on a clinic on how to post and seal and keep working for the entirety of the possession. She thrashed around even the strongest and biggest post players this week. Her interior footwork was on full display as well, exploding up as she seemingly demonstrated the George Mikan drill in a game. Another impressive aspect of her game was her ability to rim run and outwork her opponents. Ava was definitely one of the best interior post players I’ve seen in a while, fun to watch for sure.

2025 Keziah Lofton | Arkansas Banshees Morgan

Lofton has a lot of tools but most impressive is her motor. I don’t think she came off the court in the two games I watched but she managed to play at a high level vs two very good teams. I’m one particular game, she struggles a bit early but as the game came down to the wire, Lofton made big play after big play. She made great reads and was murder going left as she used her elite frame for a PG to get to any spot on the court she wanted.

Reaction Score
This is essentially what Aaliyah Edwards looked like in the summer before her senior year. Watch the Canadian national hs game (like McDonald's only BioMetal, iirc) and you'll see it. Maybe we'd call her a point forward. She regularly brought the ball up the court for that game, distributed the ball, drove the lane from the top of the key. What we don't know -- yet -- is what Prosper's work ethic is like.
1) It's BioSteel.

2) The work ethic is there from what I've been able to watch over the years. Both she and her brother are gym rats. That's one thing I like about the fact she plays with the Capital Courts program. They provide access to facilities for training outside of what's possible through the high school they play out of to their players.

That helps their development immensely. Getting access to training facilities and gyms without having to pay a hefty fee isn't easy in Ontario or Canada as a whole.

Reaction Score
The UConn work ethic is pretty much encapsulated in one question, does she play team D? This is what I haven’t seen yet from Prosper. It’s the hardest thing to determine merely from highlight clips, which mainly focus on blocked shots and steals. Those are revealing (especially for bb IQ), but they don’t necessarily show how hard a player works in practice on team D. Us amateurs would have to watch an entire regular season hs game to get a glimpse of this in most cases, and it also depends on whether her hs team coaches team D or mainly plays a simple zone. Of course, Geno and his staff do much more than this and know in advance which hs coaches emphasize team D.

Reaction Score
The UConn work ethic is pretty much encapsulated in one question, does she play team D? This is what I haven’t seen yet from Prosper. It’s the hardest thing to determine merely from highlight clips, which mainly focus on blocked shots and steals. Those are revealing (especially for bb IQ), but they don’t necessarily show how hard a player works in practice on team D. Us amateurs would have to watch an entire regular season hs game to get a glimpse of this in most cases, and it also depends on whether her hs team coaches team D or mainly plays a simple zone. Of course, Geno and his staff do much more than this and know in advance which hs coaches emphasize team D.

I disagree with this take because work ethic means more that this in my opinion. With respect to the "team D" question, here are my thoughts based on what I've been able to watch over the years:

1) I believe that she can she can play Team D. Her performance in OSBA (aka highschool) games, at Canadian Nationals, and at FIBA U16 and U17 indicates this to me. Also, her All-star nod at U17 wasn't solely for her offensive skills.

2) Capital Courts rarely plays zone defence, if ever. It's not a style of defence their coach is a fan of unless they need to do so for strategic reasons.

3) There's plenty of footage of her games with Capital Courts and Canada Basketball on YouTube that will give you more insight as to whether she can play both ends of the floor.

Reaction Score
Look forward to watching the 9 imposters drop from her list of ten. Also, a big game next Friday with a large number of Husky recruits and POI's. I'm picking the team with Olson, Strong etc. Hope the game is a big reveal for 3-4 future Huskies.
Looking forward to seeing Ashlyn playing with said POI'S..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom