Attendance Update across P5 WCBB | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Attendance Update across P5 WCBB

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I actually only ate the mustard-based BBQ until I moved to North Carolina. I really enjoyed the vinegar-based-sauce here. That said..... my friends here tried the mustard based and all of them liked it better than the vinegar based they were used to. They switched to mustard based and I switched to vinegar based. Explain that....;)

You need new friends.

Reaction Score
As I'm reading all the responses, it seems to me that Iowa and Carolina are the two leading WBB teams in terms of attendance. So it begs the question.

Which is the bigger draw, The Carolina women's team or Caitlin Clark?

It's not the IOWA team that is selling out B10 arenas. It's Clark.

Reaction Score
. . . Which is the bigger draw, The Carolina women's team or Caitlin Clark? . . .
The answer is below, but perhaps in the eye of the beholder:

as of 2/26/24Home GamesTrue Road GamesAll Games
NCAA Record 16,565*NCAA Record 8,424^NCAA Record 12,164*
S. Carolina 2023-2416,3816,47311,562
S. Carolina notes4 home sell outs1/11 road sell out (LSU)
Iowa 2023-2414,99813,41013,201
Iowa notesseason sold out10/10** road sell outs
** Wisc & Neb announced sell outs, but sold < capacity b/c of general admission ticket concerns
Colonial Life Capacity18,000
Carver-Hawkeye Capacity14,998
*1999 TENNCatchings /Holdsclaw
^2012 BaylorBrittney Griner

Also, LSU is averaging 7,957 in true road game attendance (11,394 at home). In conference road games, LSU is at 8,573, S. Carolina is at 7,052.

In the Big Ten, Iowa is at 14,130 for conference road games; IU is at 8,128; OSU is at 4,659.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think I saw a headline that the B1G Women's Post-Season Tournament was sold out for the first time ever....
Of course, the Caitlin Clark Traveling Circus has zounds to do with that, but one would like to think that Ohio State, Indiana and the overall brand of the conference's play is helping to draw people.

Reaction Score
I think I saw a headline that the B1G Women's Post-Season Tournament was sold out for the first time ever....
Of course, the Caitlin Clark Traveling Circus has zounds to do with that, but one would like to think that Ohio State, Indiana and the overall brand of the conference's play is helping to draw people.
The magnitude of the increase for the Big Ten Tourney this year is crazy. Last year's championship game in the Target Center drew 9,505, and last year's tourney drew 47,923, both records for the Big Ten. Media reports say the Big Ten has sold 109,000 tickets for this year's tourney in the Target Center in Minneapolis.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As I'm reading all the responses, it seems to me that Iowa and Carolina are the two leading WBB teams in terms of attendance. So it begs the question.

Which is the bigger draw, The Carolina women's team or Caitlin Clark?

It's not the IOWA team that is selling out B10 arenas. It's Clark.
Similar to "Pavlov's Dog" hearing the bell and his saliva starting, I read "Carolina" and think NORTH CAROLINA, not Little Carolina, (Thank you for that conditioning all you NC residents!) so, please use SC when referring to the Gamecocks. SC has led the NCAA in HOME attendance for the last 8 years (soon to be 9) but as @visitingcock has noted, not only will Iowa with the total attendance this year, Iowa has a change to break the ALL TIME HOME and AWAY attendance record currently held by Tennessee in 2008 with 445,925 in 38 games (averaging 11,735).

Iowa is at 329,072 for 13 home games and 10 road games and averaging 14,308. they have 2 regular season games left plus 4 potential Big 10 tournament games and then the NCAAT games.

Reaction Score
. . . SC has led the NCAA in HOME attendance for the last 8 years (soon to be 9) but as @visitingcock has noted, not only will Iowa with the total attendance this year, Iowa has a change to break the ALL TIME HOME and AWAY attendance record currently held by Tennessee in 2008 with 445,925 in 38 games (averaging 11,735).
The NCAA always ranks home attendance by average attendance, but sometimes ranks total attendance by average, and sometimes by total number. For example, last year the NCAA ranked South Carolina first in total attendance, because they had the highest average, even though Iowa played 1 more game and had higher nominal total attendance. But in some other years, the NCAA has ranked total attendance using total nominal attendance, rather than per-game average, in which case one of the title game participants is usually ranked first.

On an average basis, Tennessee in 1999 (not 2008) is the all-time total attendance leader at 12,164. Iowa 2023-24 is currently north of 13,000 and going higher.

Reaction Score
Similar to "Pavlov's Dog" hearing the bell and his saliva starting, I read "Carolina" and think NORTH CAROLINA, not Little Carolina, (Thank you for that conditioning all you NC residents!) so, please use SC when referring to the Gamecocks. SC has led the NCAA in HOME attendance for the last 8 years (soon to be 9) but as @visitingcock has noted, not only will Iowa with the total attendance this year, Iowa has a change to break the ALL TIME HOME and AWAY attendance record currently held by Tennessee in 2008 with 445,925 in 38 games (averaging 11,735).

Iowa is at 329,072 for 13 home games and 10 road games and averaging 14,308. they have 2 regular season games left plus 4 potential Big 10 tournament games and then the NCAAT games.
And as soon as Clark leaves, they will return to irrelevance

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I was in the stands watching Iowa play in the Elite 8 in 2019. That was pre-Clark. They won't be irrelevant as long as Bluder is coaching..

I was also in the stands watching some bears feast on chicken two days earlier, but I digress.

Reaction Score
"Irrelevance" might be a bit harsh since they had Top Ten attendance beginning in the Gustaffson era before Clerk, but I agree that it will drop after she leaves. They will probably drop down to about 4th or 5th in home attendance next year (below SCar, UConn, LSU and maybe Iowa State). It may dwindle on down in the following years to top ten or top 20 where it was prior to Gustaffson. Depends on how competitive they remain in the Big 10. I don't think they will ever approach this level again - but who knows? Maybe they will get another star to carry them.

It will be interesting to see how long they can keep a lead in attendance over Iowa State

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Here is another breakdown from NCAA stats.... NCAA Statistics You can do all teams home and away attendance. This one is the attendance home page. Click on the team after you get to attendance part. NCAA Statistics Hit misc and then the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom