At Mattamy desk | The Boneyard

At Mattamy desk

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse poster.jpg

Reaction Score
Just curious. Does anyone know the seating capacity for basketball at Mattamy?

Reaction Score
Uh, it was printed to encourage sales??
At this late date---with 2300 seating capacity--I'd be very distrubed to think it wasn't sold out 8 times over. For KIA?? I'm so pleased Geno got a homecoming game for OUR CANADIAN--but unhappy the seating wasn't larger. -Wife says--be gratefully for tiny gifts..

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Sign still says “Tickets on sale...”. What’s with that??
I think they created that some time ago, and haven't updated it. That screen is one of seveal rotating screens, so y guess is that they didn't even notice it.

Reaction Score
At this late date---with 2300 seating capacity--I'd be very distrubed to think it wasn't sold out 8 times over. For KIA?? I'm so pleased Geno got a homecoming game for OUR CANADIAN--but unhappy the seating wasn't larger. -Wife says--be gratefully for tiny gifts..
The thing is to get a bigger venue might mean not being able to be right in the heart of Toronto. I don't think they were going to be able to get a game in Air Canada Centre which would hold 8 times the people.

Reaction Score
Cost is a factor in the venue. In addition to our costs to make this trip & the cost to rent & staff the facility, it is likely that Duquesne is receiving a financial package to make this trip. In the scheme of things, this is one of those games where it is more for Kia & her family rather than the rest of us. Kia mentioned in an interview the other day that her crew is going to be very well represented. It's going to be a fun night.

Reaction Score
Great restaurants in Toronto, not to mention the ROM and other fabulous things to see. Hope the kids get to spend a day there.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Cost is a factor in the venue. In addition to our costs to make this trip & the cost to rent & staff the facility, it is likely that Duquesne is receiving a financial package to make this trip. In the scheme of things, this is one of those games where it is more for Kia & her family rather than the rest of us. Kia mentioned in an interview the other day that her crew is going to be very well represented. It's going to be a fun night.
I do not think the Dukes needed to be paid for this game - they too want to give their Canadian players a 'home' game so they were all in on this. I believe they even initiated the process by calling Uconn.

Was glad to see the 'Fourth Quarter' production that was posted elsewhere devoted one whole segment to the Dukes after the first three were all about Kia and Uconn.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do not think the Dukes needed to be paid for this game - they too want to give their Canadian players a 'home' game so they were all in on this. I believe they even initiated the process by calling Uconn.

Was glad to see the 'Fourth Quarter' production that was posted elsewhere devoted one whole segment to the Dukes after the first three were all about Kia and Uconn.
Found this in one of Nan's news links - sounds like both teams are receiving an appearance fee:
Clarke said Ryerson negotiated an appearance fee with both schools, which also covers transportation and accommodations, to come to Toronto. While the amount of that appearance fee is not disclosed, one basketball official with strong ties to university sports in Toronto said he would be surprised if Ryerson paid out any more than $20,000.

Clarke did say that Ryerson only needed to sell about 1,900 tickets to break even.

Reaction Score
Found this in one of Nan's news links - sounds like both teams are receiving an appearance fee:
Clarke said Ryerson negotiated an appearance fee with both schools, which also covers transportation and accommodations, to come to Toronto. While the amount of that appearance fee is not disclosed, one basketball official with strong ties to university sports in Toronto said he would be surprised if Ryerson paid out any more than $20,000.

Clarke did say that Ryerson only needed to sell about 1,900 tickets to break even.
Looks like they shall make a small profit on Tickets---the beer and food concessions shall thrive as will the local community with hotels, food, sights , etc.
While the profits don't appear to be large--the important part is KIA gets to show off her talent and her team to home town folks.. Thanks Miami, nice to know info..

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

And Dan Burt recognizes it as a hot recruiting territory for him.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Great restaurants in Toronto, not to mention the ROM and other fabulous things to see. Hope the kids get to spend a day there.
Toranto IS a great city for a vacation in the summer. It has great jazz clubs. They used to be cluster on Yonge Street ... ahem ... a few decades ago. Now they are all over the city. The Ontario Science Centre is fantastic ... ahem ... a few decades ago (sigh) and actually today. Great food particularly Southeast Asian.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I hope it's not too cold court level. the 2300 seat arena is also an ice hockey rink.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
The thing is to get a bigger venue might mean not being able to be right in the heart of Toronto. I don't think they were going to be able to get a game in Air Canada Centre which would hold 8 times the people.

The old Maple Leaf Gardens is apparently part of the same building. Seats over 12,000.

"Maple Leaf Gardens is a historic building located at the northwest corner of Carlton Street and Church Street in Toronto, Canada. The building was initially constructed as an arena to host ice hockey games, but has since been reconstructed for other uses. Today Maple Leaf Gardens is a multi-purpose facility, with Loblaws occupying retail space on the lower floors and an arena for Toronto's Ryerson University, known as Mattamy Athletic Centre at the Gardens, occupying another level."

Reaction Score
The old Maple Leaf Gardens is apparently part of the same building. Seats over 12,000.

"Maple Leaf Gardens is a historic building located at the northwest corner of Carlton Street and Church Street in Toronto, Canada. The building was initially constructed as an arena to host ice hockey games, but has since been reconstructed for other uses. Today Maple Leaf Gardens is a multi-purpose facility, with Loblaws occupying retail space on the lower floors and an arena for Toronto's Ryerson University, known as Mattamy Athletic Centre at the Gardens, occupying another level."
The Air Canada Centre is where the Raptors play - about 2 miles south of where our game is being played.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom