Asphalt driveway Fact/Fiction | The Boneyard

Asphalt driveway Fact/Fiction

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
1. Replacing an old driveway soon. Once they put down the base do you need to wait 3-4 weeks before the asphalt goes down? Or is this a marketing strategy for companies to place a sign by your lawn and get neighbors to order jobs too?

2. Should you seal a driveway?

3. How long must we wait before running, dribbling, and shooting hoops?

Any Yarders in the business? City Paving & General are in my neighborhood often.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
1. Replacing an old driveway soon. Once they put down the base do you need to wait 3-4 weeks before the asphalt goes down? Or is this a marketing strategy for companies to place a sign by your lawn and get neighbors to order jobs too?

Any Yarders in the business? City Paving & General are in my neighborhood often.
I own a lot in Mansfield at the end of a paved surface 330 feet in length. After 12 years, the surface had been totally sunbleached and was beginning to crack near the seams. After discussing it with the neighbors, they let me collect quotes on getting it sealed.

I called six businesses, got five quotes, and did my due diligence by calling references on three.

I went with Sealpro Driveway Sealing out of East Hartford. The owner was prompt, no nonsense, very organized, spoke clearly and directly, and his quote was just $700 more than the cheapest.

I was very pleased with the results. Sealpro will also come out annually to reseal any cracks that may have reopened within the last year at no extra charge.

They also do driveway installation and replacement, but I didn't use them for that.

Good luck on your project.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
1. No, but it depends on the underlying soil and how well they compact it. You don't want moisture trapped before you pave or really anytime. The wait is due to him wanting to pave several driveways in one day. Saving on the truck/crew and asphalt plant fees.

2. Sealing is a repair operation. Sun and weather eventually breakdown the gooey stuff that holds it all together. Cracks form, water gets in and a few freeze thaw cycles later, you have cracking and failure. Seal when it looks like you have cracks starting to form before they open up. No need to seal a new driveway.

3. Wait for it to cool down. Temperature over time. If it's still tacky, stay off it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

When I got my driveway done they ripped out the old driveway, put down a new base (multiple layers and material, if I recall correctly), compacted (multiple times) and put down the asphalt in a single day. It's lasted 20 years with some cracks but no major issues. FWIW.

Reaction Score
I'm also gearing up to start collecting quotes to re-pave my driveway. The pavement is quite old and real beat up but unfortunately it's real long - around 600 feet with a large rectangular turn-around at the end. I live on a busy main road so I'm not really sure where I'm going to park when it's being re-done too. Really not looking forward to it.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Our blacktop driveway is now 27 years old, never been sealed. Cracks starting to appear, so I will probably have to address that.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Is there a thickness of material they should lay down? I would think the thicker layer of asphalt the more durable the driveway.

Reaction Score
When I got my driveway done they ripped out the old driveway, put down a new base (multiple layers and material, if I recall correctly), compacted (multiple times) and put down the asphalt in a single day. It's lasted 20 years with some cracks but no major issues. FWIW.
The state seemed to do this on a section of Rt 69, from Burlington to Bristol. They didn’t pull up the old though, just put a new thin coat down. The road was really nice and quiet, but you could feel some bigger frost heaves from the previous winter. This was done a year ago. I couldn’t believe they put down a couple miles in a day before doing the other lane. May have been testing new procedures.

Reaction Score
My asphalt d/w was cracked and fading fast after xx years. I looked in new asphalt 4-5 yrs ago, but decided on pavers. Looks great!

Reaction Score

As stated. Don’t seal a brand new driveway. When we did ours I waited until the fall so it would be cooler and set better/faster. If u can wait until the fall I would recommend it

Make sure u don’t turn the steering wheel if the car isn’t moving on a newly paved driveway. It takes several weeks for it to really cure.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
My asphalt d/w was cracked and fading fast after xx years. I looked in new asphalt 4-5 yrs ago, but decided on pavers. Looks great!
Why pavers? Just appearance?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Just amazing. Look at this thread which appears to be about 10 hours old as I do so, and every ad on the page is for a paving outfit.

Reaction Score
Sealing is for aesthetic only. Rubber crack filling is fine. If sealing made a difference they would do that to the highways. It actually dries out the asphalt. It's only for a fresh look kinda like repainting a wall

Reaction Score
Side note when paving new tennis/ basketball courts it's recommended to let it cure 21-30 days before any coating/resurfacing/ painting.

You can speed up the curing process by scrubbing/ washing the surface with a dawn/ water mixture as it brings the oils out but it's not recommended

Reaction Score
I'm also gearing up to start collecting quotes to re-pave my driveway. The pavement is quite old and real beat up but unfortunately it's real long - around 600 feet with a large rectangular turn-around at the end. I live on a busy main road so I'm not really sure where I'm going to park when it's being re-done too. Really not looking forward to it.
Constantine out of Glastonbury is a great company

Reaction Score
Is there a thickness of material they should lay down? I would think the thicker layer of asphalt the more durable the driveway.
Should be 4" at minimum some places skimp to save money and the homeowner would never know. Also make sure it's all done in one day and they have multiple trucks so there aren't noticeable stop/ start seems

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Should be 4" at minimum some places skimp to save money and the homeowner would never know. Also make sure it's all done in one day and they have multiple trucks so there aren't noticeable stop/ start seems
Thanks - I have a long driveway and will want to have it re-pitched as right now it is pitched toward the house and not away from it.

Reaction Score

Not sure where you are located but I used Marini Paving out of Ansonia. They do outstanding work with no skimping on asphalt. There prices are not the cheapest but they high quality work for a fair price.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom