As UConn men, women arrive for AAC media day, here are some conference storylines | Page 2 | The Boneyard

As UConn men, women arrive for AAC media day, here are some conference storylines

Reaction Score
Thank you for posting this Java. I haven't looked at the video yet. I ALWAYS thought it WAS NOT his idea to resume the series with Tennessee because of statements he made years ago setting the parameters of resuming the series. It was reported here in the yard some years ago that Holly Warlick approached Geno and asked him about resuming the series. He asked her if she was prepared to offer an apology to Maya, her mother and the University for things that was said/implied and accusations made by Tennessee back in 2007, she said no, she couldn't do that.

Fast forward to 2018 - Regardless of what was reported, I always believed he was "coerced" into going along with the resumption and publicly giving it his blessing. I understand that some decisions of this magnitude are out of a coach's hands. Obviously this is one of them.
Do you really think Geno could be “coerced” into doing something he didn’t want to? I don’t mean this in any way other that I’m curious what you are thinking.

Reaction Score
Do you really think Geno could be “coerced” into doing something he didn’t want to? I don’t mean this in any way other that I’m curious what you are thinking.

Well if someone asks you to do something for charity and you turn it down bc of bad blood, it's not the greatest look. So he may not have loved playing TN, but might have felt it wasn't worth the guff to turn it down.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well if someone asks you to do something for charity and you turn it down bc of bad blood, it's not the greatest look. So he may not have loved playing TN, but might have felt it wasn't worth the guff to turn it down.
To add to what VG said, I imagine it went something like this:

ESPN to UCONN administration (AD or President) "We REALLY want the UCONN-Tennessee rivalry game to resume. Please make it happen. We want it to happen. We won't be happy if it doesn't happen. No telling what might happen to our relationship if it doesn't happen."

UCONN administration to Geno: "ESPN really wants the game to take place."
Geno: "I told them, our fans, and Maya's family I'd never play them again unless the apologized to Maya and her family"
UCONN AD: "I know, but the previous HC has since passed away and, ESPN REALLY wants the game to take place"
Geno: "I have no interest in playing them. It does nothing for us and helps them immeasurably"
UCONN AD: "I know but ESPN REALLY wants the game to take place".
Geno after a long pause "I get what you are saying between the lines. Fine, but I'm really pissed about it"...

Reaction Score
UCONN AD: "I know but ESPN REALLY wants the game to take place".
Geno after a long pause "I get what you are saying between the lines. Fine, but I'm really pissed about it"...

Actually, I'm gonna disagree with this. I doubt Geno cares so much what ESPN wants. ESPN would be glad to have any UConn game so I'm not sure they have much bargaining power. And there are many who believe ESPN did not do UConn any favors in conference realignment.

ESPN begged PHS to not end the series, and she didn't care.
And I think ESPN has been trying to get this game for years. The only thing different now is the charity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom