Article on Luke Murray from Mike Anthony | The Boneyard

Article on Luke Murray from Mike Anthony

Reaction Score
Interesting to hear his explanation of the game plan for Purdue. We've already read about it but to hear his explanation is better.

I didn't realize the assistants are that well paid. Not a bad gig without the pressures of being a head coach at a low major. How much do low majors pay head coaches?

Some basketball talk from Murray: “At halftime, I think 79 percent of their shots were two-point jumpers because the jump hooks were extended enough and outside the restricted area. [Braden] Smith was taking a lot of pull-up jump shots. It really played into what we were looking for from a shot distribution standpoint. They were downing a lot of the side pick and rolls, so we tried to keep it in the middle of the floor as best we can. We did a good job playing in what we call ‘grenades’ and dribble hand-offs, because that’s a little bit harder for them to down. Trying to get them in space where we could. They did a pretty good job of switching where the guard would take guys late, but by and large we wanted to move them around as much as we could.”

Alternate access:

His father is actor Bill Murray. But this UConn coach is making a name for himself.

Reaction Score
Interesting to hear his explanation of the game plan for Purdue. We've already read about it but to hear his explanation is better.

I didn't realize the assistants are that well paid. Not a bad gig without the pressures of being a head coach at a low major. How much do low majors pay head coaches?

Some basketball talk from Murray: “At halftime, I think 79 percent of their shots were two-point jumpers because the jump hooks were extended enough and outside the restricted area. [Braden] Smith was taking a lot of pull-up jump shots. It really played into what we were looking for from a shot distribution standpoint. They were downing a lot of the side pick and rolls, so we tried to keep it in the middle of the floor as best we can. We did a good job playing in what we call ‘grenades’ and dribble hand-offs, because that’s a little bit harder for them to down. Trying to get them in space where we could. They did a pretty good job of switching where the guard would take guys late, but by and large we wanted to move them around as much as we could.”

Alternate access:

His father is actor Bill Murray. But this UConn coach is making a name for himself.

I said this during the game -- I was happy to concede 40 Braden Smith pull-up jumpers around the foul line because it's a terrible shot and I wasn't spooked if he made a few.

Reaction Score
Nice insight to the game plan.
“Tactician” was the perfection noun that the author used to describe Luke. Something as subtle as knowing that Smith needed to be forced to go left more than he did in the first half. Luke and his family seem happy in CT. and we are so lucky to have him stay longer.

And that 52-5 win/loss stat from 1/31/23 - now, is mind blowing.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's cool how strongly Hurley argues for LM and KY to be hired by a high-major or top mid-major school. Part of me wishes he wasn't saying it, but I don't think ADs are going to chase or not chase those guys based on what Hurley is saying.

Reaction Score
I’m not saying Murray deserves all of the credit, but Hurley had one team in his URI and UConn coaching career finish Top 150 in eFG% prior to Murray joining the staff, and in the two years since they finished 33rd and 7th. UConn was 8th and 6th in AST% the past two years as well, after topping out at 135th in Hurley’s first 4 years in CT. Staggering offensive improvement.

Reaction Score
Look, when you are in the best program in the country, are highly valued by your coach who is a good friend and paid well.... that's not so bad.
He and his young family are comfortable with good friends and schools I'm quite sure. The boys were like team mascots having the time of their lives as they will again... on Saturday morning. He will be a coach someday hopefully for us.

Reaction Score
I’m not saying Murray deserves all of the credit, but Hurley had one team in his URI and UConn coaching career finish Top 150 in eFG% prior to Murray joining the staff, and in the two years since they finished 33rd and 7th. UConn was 8th and 6th in AST% the past two years as well, after topping out at 135th in Hurley’s first 4 years in CT. Staggering offensive improvement.
Luke is a special coach, I could see him staying here and taking over if/when Hurley goes to the NBA or hangs it up.

Reaction Score
I'm thoroughly and utterly convinced that he is THE genius at Xs and Ox and totally responsible for our dominant runs two years running.

Luke, please make yourself at home in Storrs.
Luke is making decent coin, his dad is Bill Murray, and he is currently working with friends at a championship program. And he's only 39 years old. Unless he has a burning desire to be a head man, he's currently in one of the best spots that an assistant could have.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Luke is a special coach, I could see him staying here and taking over if/when Hurley goes to the NBA or hangs it up.
Not that it'll happen before 2026, but I can see Luke going to the NBA and not DH. Luke has a skill set any team can use, pro or college.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm thoroughly and utterly convinced that he is THE genius at Xs and Ox and totally responsible for our dominant runs two years running.

Luke, please make yourself at home in Storrs.
Just like it's a team game on the court, it's a team game on the coaching staff. Every coach has played a large role in developing this team and building the two time champions. Yes, the Euro style offense is Luke, that is not in question. but he is not totally responsible, he is one of four vital elements that led t the machine running as smoothly as it did.

Reaction Score
What's scary to think about is Luke probably doesn't come here if 1) Kenya Hunter doesn't leave for Indiana (I know Kevin Freeman was the initial choice) and 2) Chris Mack doesn't go crazy at Louisville and make Luke a fall guy for his troubles.

Reaction Score
Did he ever play basketball?
He didn't but his father played a bit with MJ, albeit later in his career.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 18
Reaction Score
What's scary to think about is Luke probably doesn't come here if 1) Kenya Hunter doesn't leave for Indiana (I know Kevin Freeman was the initial choice) and 2) Chris Mack doesn't go crazy at Louisville and make Luke a fall guy for his troubles.
How about we lucked out on Cam?
Like most Kensucky or Dookie Fans would say, we are the luckiest son of beach!

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The two most important people in our offensive makeover were Luke and Alex. Alex performs the most actions on almost all these set plays, he’s the best cutter and screener we have, Luke is the one installing the set plays. I think Hurley mentioned he grinds tape of the European and Asian leagues.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom