Article on E, Nika and Saylor | The Boneyard

Article on E, Nika and Saylor

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

While seemingly everyone else on the roster has dealt with their share of ups and downs, Westbrook has been a model of consistency. She has reached double-digit scoring in each of her last nine games but hasn’t surpassed the 20-point mark.

Westbrook has at least four assists in all but three games and at least four rebounds in all but two. She’s also become one of UConn’s biggest three-point threats, making 15-30 (50.0 percent) since the Huskies returned from their second COVID pause against Butler on Jan. 19.

Though Westbrook might not be UConn’s brightest star – Bueckers holds that title rather comfortably – she’s self-aware of that fact.

“I think E understands who's who and what's what on our team,” Auriemma said. “She knows where she is in relation to what we need for her to be and she's embraced it and she's enjoying it. Every day it shows more and more.”

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Good article.

Evina is nearly the opposite, personality-wise, from what I expected when she announced. I guess she made significant changes to her approach, or the pre-arrival buzz was just pure BS. I'll accept that there could be a middle option. She's become consistent at a pretty high level and has been outwardly quiet, subdued and business-like to the outside world, while still projecting considerable edge on the court. Guess that indicates a lot of maturity. A good trait for a Husky-Mom.

As I've written elsewhere, I'm happy to see Nika's development. With her early injury it was starting to look like she might become the "odd [wo]man out." It's hard to tell right now where her ceiling ultimately is. Hopefully she keeps developing and is able to keep her head above the avalanche of talent coming in next year and get enough minutes. She seems to be trending that way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
flip wall GIF

Evina is our Rock! She very quietly excels in many ways, including her leadership role.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I said this before, Evina is enjoying playing basketball again. You can see it on her face, especiallhy the TEnnessee game. Those 3 point daggers in the 4th brought just the hint of a smile.

At Tennessee everything was on her shoulders. Not so at UConn. Evina is surrounded by a talented cast that supports her and she supports them. And you bet coaching makes a big difference!

I really hope she comes back next year, though I will understand if she doesn't. For now, I will enjoy her play.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Also, there were some great comments by Geno on Nika and Saylor...
Geno on Saylor, on her playing the last 2 min and shooting 3 times on passes from Paige:
“You gotta like the kid. She knows what she is. She's not shy about it,” he said. “I'm sure for her, she must have been a nervous wreck.”

Geno on Nika:
“As far as Nika is concerned, she just needed to play significant minutes and she has been,” Auriemma said. “She's becoming more and more comfortable."

So, hopefully we continue to see the evolution, albeit with mistakes here and there but the upside of effort, intensity and passing!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I could have told Geno that was all Nika needed. It was obvious. Maybe he will start listening to me now.:rolleyes: Maybe those who criticized Saylor have a better understanding of her play now. Maybe. I believe many BYers were thinking she was nervous.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Roger Clevland for the love of God man buy a new mike for your computer. Have a little respect for your audience.
Maybe the players should keep on asking him to repeat his question because they couldn't understand him due to the feedback. Maybe he would get the hint if all of them did that.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe the players should keep on asking him to repeat his question because they couldn't understand him due to the feedback. Maybe he would get the hint if all of them did that.
Does he have a friend who is a Husky fan and listens to availabilities? He ever have an on-line Doctor's appointment. I could go on, but.... My conclusion is not a kind one. If I could find his e-mail I'd give him a heads up, if only to cement my conclusion.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Does he have a friend who is a Husky fan and listens to availabilities? He ever have an on-line Doctor's appointment. I could go on, but.... My conclusion is not a kind one. If I could find his e-mail I'd give him a heads up, if only to cement my conclusion.
I looked on the paper's web page but could not find a contact for the garbled one!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I looked on the paper's web page but could not find a contact for the garbled one!

Scroll down for contact info for the paper. They should be able to pass along a message.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom