Article on Best All Time Transfers | The Boneyard

Article on Best All Time Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just saw this one in the New Haven Register

Which one(s) did you like the best?

Ugh, paywall. Shonn Miller was probably the best all around player. Selvie certainly memorable.

Edit: I may be underrating Purvis due to a combination of high expectations and wanting to block those years from my memory.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Overall, I like this list. Chuck should be higher with Selvie and Larrier lower. I'm very biased but RJ Evans was awesome and very important to our 12-13 season and our 13-14 championship.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Man, what I would have given if we could’ve cloned Shonn Miller a few times. He was very good, but he was an absolute revelation here as we sorely lacked that element and really didn’t get it again until Whaley emerged last year.

Nelson’s first year of eligibility coincided with my freshman year and I remember the hilariously wild hype that he had. I can only imagine how that would have been amplified with social media

Reaction Score
Kromah and Chuck were my favorite two players on that list. Unfortunately I didn’t see Chuck play until he was over 50 and probably a few inches shorter than his playing days but he’s still a legend in my book.

Reaction Score
Came in as a Ferrari, left as an Edsall
Kromah and Chuck were my favorite two players on that list. Unfortunately I didn’t see Chuck play until he was over 50 and probably a few inches shorter than his playing days but he’s still a legend in my book.
Did Chuck at 50+, play in a pick up game at the local Y? Or, for an old timers game at the BB Hall of Fame court in Hartford?

Where did you see him play?

Do they have old timers games for basketball anywhere? They used to have them for baseball.

If they have them, does anyone have a video of the action they could share on the BY?

Reaction Score
Did Chuck at 50+, play in a pick up game at the local Y? Or, for an old timers game at the BB Hall of Fame court in Hartford?

Where did you see him play?

Do they have old timers games for basketball anywhere? They used to have them for baseball.

If they have them, does anyone have a video of the action they could share on the BY?
I grew up in Morris. He played pick up games locally. There was a ref with an indoor half court on Mountain Rd. That was 10+ years ago so no I didn’t even get my first flip phone until college. Awesome guy though.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Don't forget ed nelson. (Also a member of the "all-bruiser" team.)

Reaction Score
Interesting list. Aleksinas is way too low on the list, presumably because he underperformed expectations (along with that whole team), but he was much better than most of the guys ahead of him. Kromah that high -- fine because he was a valuable roll player that helped a team to a championship. But RJ Evans -- he had the heart of a Big East player but not the talent.

And of the list of also rans, Chuck Hayes, who was a useful rotation player on an Elite 8 team, is light years ahead of the others.

Reaction Score
#1 on this list should be Jimmy Foster.

He was a 6-1, left-handed wizard who transfered from Becker College for the 72-73 season. He averaged 15.7 points and 3.2 assists a game as the Huskies went 15-10 and finished 2nd in the Yankee Conference.

In 73-74, his senior season, he averaged 16.7 points and 3.9 assists (many of them quite spectacular) as the Huskies went 19-8 and were selected to compete in the NIT. In the NIT opener he led the Huskies to an upset of heavily favored St John's. In the quarterfinals they fell to Boston College by one point after Coach Dee Rowe squandered a 17 point second half lead by freezing the basketball (and his team). Foster was named to the All NIT First Team.

He was drafted by the Cleveland Cavs in the 1974 draft and played two years n the ABA with the Denver Nuggets and St. Louis Spirits. He was an ABA All Star in 76.

Reaction Score
Selvie!!! The man of the people!!!
He always seemed like a bit of a contradiction to me. He came across as a bit of a delinquent. And maybe he was, but I'm confident he put the work into practice. He wouldn't of played otherwise. He probably wouldn't of improved as a player either. And I think he did improve in his time on campus. Very likeable player. Fan favorite no doubt.

Reaction Score
Monquencio Hardnett was a solid player. Another dude that lived on Watson 5 with me. I ran into him in the stands at Tropicana Field in 99. We agreed, "we got this!"

Reaction Score
I remember watching channel 8 after they lost to UNC and Q predicted we would win it all the next year.
Was at the Greensboro game. I knew we would beat UNC if we played them the next year. Even if Carter and Jamison were still on the team. They lost significant players even if those two stuck around. We returned everyone but Q.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I got Q at the top, and agree completely w/ Selvie avatar, my guy truly was a man of the people. Shonn Miller, ole Mr. Reliable with the turnaround J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom