Arkansas pre-game interview, Nika is on with Evina and Christyn | The Boneyard

Arkansas pre-game interview, Nika is on with Evina and Christyn

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I'm assuming that Geno allows specific players for these press moments.
I would guess that Nika's selection has clear [positive] implications for her PT on Thursday and beyond....with all the usual expectations regarding effort and performance.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Nika's a good interview.
Yes, she impressed by not giving the reporter an answer the reporter was giving her a choice to say.

That sentence probably made no sense. Try this: So many reporters ask leading questions and they often take the form of "was it a or was it b"? Nika instead answered the questions honestly and genuinely.

UConn players are smart. They don't need to be "asked down" to.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, she impressed by not giving the reporter an answer the reporter was giving her a choice to say.

That sentence probably made no sense. Try this: So many reporters ask leading questions and they often take the form of "was it a or was it b"? Nika instead answered the questions honestly and genuinely.

UConn players are smart. They don't need to be "asked down" to.
Sometime early on during their time at Storrs players are exposed to the equivalent of “Interview Basics 101” from Chris Daily which is kind of a primer of do’s and don’t’s of how to deal with the press.

For someone like Paige who’s been dealing with the media since her sophomore year in HS, it’s no big deal. For others it’s kind of a finishing school for the W or whatever else they do after college.

The maturity and poise that many UConn WBB players develop over their 4 years in Storrs is truly impressive and a credit to the fact that Geno and his staff are focused on so much more than what a player does on the court.

Reaction Score
Interesting that Nika thinks the American defense is soft because of so many fouls being called. Also explains the difficulty in her adjustment to it since she has to use her feet more than her hands here to play it. She is a humble, unselfish teammate, who is getting "rapid growth" treatments here. I bet her family was very proud of that interview. It showed maturity and self awareness. She couldn't do better hanging out with Mama E. It will help her in many ways. As for E, her line "every play is a championship play" says it all. Ya think she gets what UCONN is about?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm guessing Nika starts and Paige keeps resting her sprained ankle. If Nika stays out of foul trouble, sinks a few shots, grabs a rebound or 6 and steals a couple it will be great.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Who is that kicking off Nika's "availability"(hate that BTW). He's had a bad mike pick up for months and does nothing about it. Annoying as Hades.
I believe that's Roger Cleaveland from the Waterbury Republican-American.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Sometime early on during their time at Storrs players are exposed to the equivalent of “Interview Basics 101” from Chris Daily which is kind of a primer of do’s and don’t’s of how to deal with the press.

For someone like Paige who’s been dealing with the media since her sophomore year in HS, it’s no big deal. For others it’s kind of a finishing school for the W or whatever else they do after college.

The maturity and poise that many UConn WBB players develop over their 4 years in Storrs is truly impressive and a credit to the fact that Geno and his staff are focused on so much more than what a player does on the court.
That's another thing to love about UConn WBB. It's about a lot more than the game of basketball. They teach the kids how to be high-functioning adults. Good comportment and interview skills by themselves can take someone a long way.

I know UConn isn't unique in this (possibly unusual), but they sure do it better than just about anyone else.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I really like this kid and have high hopes for her. She knows she has a hard row to hoe, but is happy to keep at it. She spoke highly of her team mates again and again.
Agree, also thank you for not saying "road to hoe."

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

Christyn seems a lot more relaxed. I think she's happy and comfortable being the go to guy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Of course, UConn can groom someone, but then there is basic instincts to contend with. I just viewed again Napheesa's Rookie Of The Year acceptance speech where she all but ran off the diaz before reporters had a chance to ask her anything! What a hoot.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
That's another thing to love about UConn WBB. It's about a lot more than the game of basketball. They teach the kids how to be high-functioning adults. Good comportment and interview skills by themselves can take someone a long way.

I know UConn isn't unique in this (possibly unusual), but they sure do it better than just about anyone else.
All true. I love the way she said "You're welcome" to each reporter. Many kids her age without those basic skills of civil conversation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom