Are we finally Blue Blood? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Are we finally Blue Blood?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If Calapari can claim Arkansas as a Blue Blood we must be beyond that.
I thought pig's blood was closer to pink.

Reaction Score
To me even the phrase blue blood is corny. Our blood is unique, fresh and full of vitality. We have different blood and it ain't blue like theirs. Actually we stand alone, and above those schools. All they have to hold on to is the prestigious blue blood moniker, even though their teams don't represent.

Why not just keep on winning Championships, and just be known as 'Championship Pedigree"?

Just saying "so what?" in a lot of words.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
People think that our history as a winner started with Calhoun. No question he was the architect of the Huskies as an elite program. But he be built on a foundation of a strong regional program. Our blood wasn't blue back then but our brand was winning View attachment 99540 .
I don't see any Helms Trophies!

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
Blue bloods need new blood. You’re definitely it (But, really, stop asking)

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
Screenshot_20240412_151647.jpg

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We’re blue blood without varicose veins.

Reaction Score
We are the pinnacle of college hoops, we run things. These has been "blue bloods" look up at us.

Reaction Score
We are clearly a Blue Blood.. But is Duke still one?? They haven't won for awhile .. Yada Yada Yada. No one is close to UConn over the last 25 years. No one..

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It seems like the only reason we care is because others say we are not. I pulled this from Wikipedia on the definition of "blue bloods":

In American college basketball, the term "blue bloods" is used in reference to National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I basketball programs considered to be among the most elite, either contemporaneously or historically. Outside of sports, blue blood is used as an alternative term for nobility.

Basketball media writers often debate which men's programs are considered blue bloods. The men's programs of Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, UConn, and UNC, are often included when listing blue bloods. Indiana's men's program was historically considered one as well, though its status has waned in the 21st-century

Regardless, historically (going back to the time when the field was not 64, and teams like UCLA basically had a cake walk to the final 4) UConn was not on the radar. Last 25 years - we are #1 and no one is close.

Maybe this will sound arrogant, but I sort of feel like we are beyond that (blue blood status). It's not that we have the most NC's or the most history, but we certainly have the best recent history. I think it's kind of funny that some (other fans, talking heads, etc.) seem to want to put down our program, but no one has come close to us this century.

Pretty cool for a school that started as an agricultural college back in the late 1800's.

Reaction Score
I thought this was an interesting post on reddit. I think many of us think of ourselves as underdogs, whether from the down years of the AAC, or conference realignment in general, when in reality we are top dogs.

Reaction Score
UConn is so good we've rendered the silly concept of blue bloods irrelevant especially if it doesn't include the Huskies.

The term blue blood comes from stodgy aging out of existence inbred nobility. Yet by dubbing someone blue blood in college hoops it was agreed that from some random point in time a number of so-called storied programs existed and importantly the club can never be breached bc one cannot change one's blood.

Or if you beat/kill the king and start a new monarchy then its new blood. This is one interpretation of what our Huskies have done, vanquishing the achievements of Indiana, Dook and Kansas and equalizing UNC's.

OR one can win championship after championship and surpass the criteria that qualified teams for the manufactured construct and the silly blue blood concept fades from relevance. That's what's happening. UConn has set a new standard.

If someone asks is UConn a blue blood, the answer is UConn killed off the monarchy.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I thought this was an interesting post on reddit. I think many of us think of ourselves as underdogs, whether from the down years of the AAC, or conference realignment in general, when in reality we are top dogs.

I'm a bit confused. I don't know of any situation where any of us cared if a fan of a third party school was cheering for us or against us. I'm also a bit curious as to which school this person is aligned with.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom