Are players in the portal trying to get eligible to play in a bowl game for their new team??? | The Boneyard

Are players in the portal trying to get eligible to play in a bowl game for their new team???

Reaction Score
Check this out... the article, for the most part indicates now, BUT, it also states this "...There is a rule, however, against transferring and playing in a bowl for a new team. Unless a waiver is obtained (it almost never is).... " That, to me, indicates that whether it be this year, or next year and beyond, this portal/free agency thing is taking on even more legs... Like an out of control COVID-19 virus with different strands coming all the time...

Reaction Score
Check this out... the article, for the most part indicates now, BUT, it also states this "...There is a rule, however, against transferring and playing in a bowl for a new team. Unless a waiver is obtained (it almost never is).... " That, to me, indicates that whether it be this year, or next year and beyond, this portal/free agency thing is taking on even more legs... Like an out of control COVID-19 virus with different strands coming all the time...

So your concern is that the NCAA is going to process waivers in season so a player can transfer to a bowl team and play?

If you kept reading, it said that a player cannot play for two teams in the same season. And bowl games are within the season.

And besides, the article is two years old before immediate eligibility was a thing. Which is what he was referring to, the ability to play at all in an immediate capacity.

Again, this article is 2 years old.

Reaction Score
So your concern is that the NCAA is going to process waivers in season so a player can transfer to a bowl team and play?

If you kept reading, it said that a player cannot play for two teams in the same season. And bowl games are within the season.

And besides, the article is two years old before immediate eligibility was a thing. Which is what he was referring to, the ability to play at all in an immediate capacity.

Is that an NCAA rule in general or a football thing because the women's basketball team had a player transfer in the middle of the season and was granted immediate eligibility to play for another team a couple years back. Played November-December at UConn, then January-March at Virginia.

Reaction Score
Is that an NCAA rule in general or a football thing because the women's basketball team had a player transfer in the middle of the season and was granted immediate eligibility to play for another team a couple years back. Played November-December at UConn, then January-March at Virginia.
I see that as a different situation entirely. 21-22 season she appeared in 3 games and played 8 minutes before entering the portal. Granted a waiver on Jan 27th. Same season yes. But it's not as if she transfered right before the NCAA tournament and was able to play. Though I am curious about her waiver.

Reaction Score

Didn't realize how old the article was (thanks for pointing that out); however, the part that got me was Unless there's a waiver...... You couple that with what's going on 2 years later, which is now, do you think my overall initial assessment isn't out of the realm of possibility moving forward (next year and beyond)???? Don't see it flying at all this bowl season now... but, as for the future???? Hmmmm...
THIS right here may open the window to that happening in football...

Reaction Score
Didn't realize how old the article was (thanks for pointing that out); however, the part that got me was Unless there's a waiver...... You couple that with what's going on 2 years later, which is now, do you think my overall initial assessment isn't out of the realm of possibility moving forward (next year and beyond)???? Don't see it flying at all this bowl season now... but, as for the future???? Hmmmm...

THIS right here may open the window to that happening in football...
Mir transferred 2 years ago and it was a totally different situation. I'm pretty sure locker rooms would revolt if a team tried to bring a player in for one game, and a bowl game at that, to end the season.

And if you read the requirements to get a waiver, its not easy. Also please take note that Mir transferred between semesters. If you take the time to think critically about the situation, it's not nearly as scary as you're making it out to be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom