Appliance advice | The Boneyard

Appliance advice

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It appears I may be an idiot after all... over the past few weeks, every time we'd run a med/large load in our 20-year old Kenmore washer, there would be puddles on the floor. A couple times we ran very small loads and didn't see anything, so after looking on YT for similar issues, I'd determined it was a seal problem requiring disassembly of pretty much the whole thing, a job I probably could've done over a couple days, but it just looked supremely annoying. Figuring the thing was already 20 years old, we decided to buy a new washer on Sunday. It was delivered today.

The installers ran a cycle, but left before it was completed. And there was water on the floor. Thinking that might've been some leftover water from detaching the hoses, I mopped that up, then threw the mop head and a couple towels I used to soak up the water on a small load with small water level. I go to check... more water on the floor.

I've yet to determine the issue, but given this is a brand new unit, I'm assuming it's a leak either in the water pipe coming in or the drain pipe. I will do a load tomorrow morning and watch everything I can see.

If it's indeed my plumbing, which I should've checked all along, do I have any recourse for returning the new washer and getting my old one back? If not, do I have any recourse in demanding anything from the retailer as their installers did not stick around to see or identify the problem?

I haven't bought a major appliance outside of a dishwasher since I moved here in 2002, so have no idea what SOP might be in a case like this.

Reaction Score
Try snakeing out the drain pipe behind washer,those drill attached snakes work good,then run it.make sure hose connections are tight,don't overtighten,it's either one or the other,I think you get 30 days to return unit.prolly gunk in the trap

Reaction Score
Might be a clogged drain like someone else mentioned above, but the new high efficiency washers require a bigger outlet pipe for draining. Make sure that you have the correct size discharge pipe.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
My washer overflowed when no one was home and did a lot of damage. Insurance took it and did a forensic evaluation on it to see if they could determine what the failure was. They said it worked fine. There hasn’t been a problem with my new one (knocks wood). No one is sure what went wrong.

[shrugs] Enjoy the new washer.

Reaction Score
Does the water need a pump to exit the basement? It may have a defective ball float thingy that is causing water to be left behind.
Agree. Think the ball float thingy is called a check valve.

the only other thing I can think of is your discharge hose is moving and shooting water out for short periods of the discharge. (Like the initial kick)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Agree. Think the ball float thingy is called a check valve.

the only other thing I can think of is your discharge hose is moving and shooting water out for short periods of the discharge. (Like the initial kick)
This was our water issue two years ago. A discharge hose went up to, then candy-caned down into the top end of a PVC pipe that led straight down to the pump. The machine discharges a couple of seconds before the pump activated, thus the water overflowed from the PVC. That check valve needed to be replaced. A plumber can do it in very short time.

Reaction Score
This was our water issue two years ago. A discharge hose went up to, then candy-caned down into the top end of a PVC pipe that led straight down to the pump. The machine discharges a couple of seconds before the pump activated, thus the water overflowed from the PVC. That check valve needed to be replaced. A plumber can do it in very short time.
So in your case it sounds like they did need to adjust the ball float.

whenever you pump anything there is also a check valve in the piping to prevent water that hasn’t made it all the way to the “top” from running back down the pipe. srorrsroars should check both possibilities.

Reaction Score
My washer overflowed when no one was home and did a lot of damage. Insurance took it and did a forensic evaluation on it to see if they could determine what the failure was. They said it worked fine. There hasn’t been a problem with my new one (knocks wood). No one is sure what went wrong.

[shrugs] Enjoy the new washer.
I’ve used water sensors by the washer along with an automatic shut valve on my main line. It saved me to a degree one time. This was accomplished with a valve by a Fortrezz. Now I use Flo by Moen. I highly recommend both.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So in your case it sounds like they did need to adjust the ball float.

whenever you pump anything there is also a check valve in the piping to prevent water that hasn’t made it all the way to the “top” from running back down the pipe. srorrsroars should check both possibilities.
Okay, I revert back to the "ball float thingy."

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ran a load yesterday, sat through the whole thing watching the drain pipe, the floor drain, the intake hoses... none of them was leaking anything, yet water kept pooling under the washer. I've called the store but haven't heard back. Next step, I guess, is to put the thing on blocks or 4x4s (while keeping it level) so I can take a look at the underside while it's operating.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Ran a load yesterday, sat through the whole thing watching the drain pipe, the floor drain, the intake hoses... none of them was leaking anything, yet water kept pooling under the washer. I've called the store but haven't heard back. Next step, I guess, is to put the thing on blocks or 4x4s (while keeping it level) so I can take a look at the underside while it's operating.
Take a look at when the water pools. Is when the washer is filling or when it is emptying. I'm guessing it is a loose hose clamp. Is the water soapy or clear?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Take a look at when the water pools. Is when the washer is filling or when it is emptying. I'm guessing it is a loose hose clamp. Is the water soapy or clear?
They're sending a replacement on Monday. Said it could be any number of things that might've been dislodged or broken during transport.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My wife always cracks up when I tell her about the breadth of OT conversations on the BY. When I posted about the washer, she thought I was being ridiculous. Then the responses started coming in and she was impressed. There's nothing like this level of worldly know-how on the Pitt boards. She now wants to know if any of you have experience in changing a fuel pump on a 2004 Mercedes C240 ;-)

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
They're sending a replacement on Monday. Said it could be any number of things that might've been dislodged or broken during transport.
I have had numerous times where something like this occurs; where the replaced item fails in manner similar to previous item it replaces. It's called coincidence or bad luck. It happens.

But you may also consider burning the house down, the gods may have taken an interest in it and it's best to drive them off. I'm sure Fishy knows a guy who can help you.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
My wife always cracks up when I tell her about the breadth of OT conversations on the BY. When I posted about the washer, she thought I was being ridiculous. Then the responses started coming in and she was impressed. There's nothing like this level of worldly know-how on the Pitt boards. She now wants to know if any of you have experience in changing a fuel pump on a 2004 Mercedes C240 ;-)
Anything like the glow plugs on a '77 300D?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom