Anyone here like fishing? | The Boneyard

Anyone here like fishing?

Reaction Score
I fish pretty regularly in South Florida and 99% of the alligators are docile and lazy. The last 1% is just downright ornery and when they get like that you just get the hell out of the area.

By the way, I am writing a book about Peacock Bass, a cichlid species that is an incredibly popular sportfish in South Florida. Shameless plug.
FB_IMG_1654298305286.jpg

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I fish pretty regularly in South Florida and 99% of the alligators are docile and lazy. The last 1% is just downright ornery and when they get like that you just get the hell out of the area.

By the way, I am writing a book about Peacock Bass, a cichlid species that is an incredibly popular sportfish in South Florida. Shameless plug. View attachment 76717
I'm guessing it's a 5-page book?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I would like fishing more if I could figure out how to catch one without a guide dropping my hook into a fish’s mouth

Reaction Score
Well this is been a surprisingly entertaining thread

When I saw you'd posted, I thought for sure it would be to ask Huskybass if he caught that Peacock with bait, or one of those shameless plugs.

Reaction Score

By the way, I am writing a book about Peacock Bass, a cichlid species that is an incredibly popular sportfish in South Florida. Shameless plug. View attachment 76717

Nice, I’ve heard peacock bass are a lot of fun to fish for. Where in S. Florida? I’ve been coming down to our condo in Fort Lauderdale for a few weeks at a time every couple months and have been looking to do something other than the pricey charters.

Reaction Score

How many people can you feed with that big boy?

Reaction Score
Nice, I’ve heard peacock bass are a lot of fun to fish for. Where in S. Florida? I’ve been coming down to our condo in Fort Lauderdale for a few weeks at a time every couple months and have been looking to do something other than the pricey charters.
They are tremendous sportfish. Very strong, jump like smallmouth, beautifully colored, and best of all they are willing biters. I'm more familiar with the West Coast of Florida, but have caught them down in Homestead and Doral. I understand that they are in most of the canals from Jupiter, Florida down to Miami as the Biscayne aquifer keeps the water at a minimum of 72° which is essential for their survival. A medium heavy spinning rod rigged with 15 lb braid and a 20 lb fluorocarbon leader is all you need. You should be able to catch someone to 4 lb peacocks in the canals. Look around bridge, abutments, rock piles and any other solid structure. Live bait is almost a guarantee and artificials retrieved quickly and erratically can often get them very fired up. I tend to use suspending jerk baits that range in size from 3 to 4 inches.

One more thing, I have found that they bite much better in the afternoon once the water has had a chance to warm up. So if you've only got a couple of hours to fish, I would make it around 4:00 p.m. or later.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Guys in kayaks work to land 500 lb Marlin. Gets towed out to sea. A lot of the visible action starts at 14:00 minute mark. The ending is pretty hairy too as night closes in off the coast of Panama.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
snorkeling around off the coast at Eilat sum years ago, i was kind of backpedaling from the beach around 30 or so meters out (u gotta say 'meters' when visiting the turd world) when i notice my pal closer in getting all frantic and waving/pointing at me. i whip around to see the biggest dang fish i've ever seen behind me, a grouper. feet and arms, do ur stuff. quickly.

fishcakes are my thing lately. been making them from whatever we pull out of the briny deep.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
the recipe:
boil up a few taters till tender.
mash them a bit with sum mashed up fish pieces.
add celery, onion, salt, pepper.
form up, then flour them, egg dip, then coat em in mashed up corn flakes.
fry in corn oil.

outstanding.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
iffn ur near an ocean state job lot, pop in. they're selling a superior quality, 100% cotton t-shirt with the logo 'fish life Connecticut' tastefully applied to the left breast and reverse. 5 bucks.
put it on, then take the metro to grand central. get off, walk around the concourse, and watch folks givin u the stink eye. noice.

fish on! iffn the bluefins make a real run this season, load up on mackerel bait. i promise not to make tunacakes out of them cuz the mutts will happily chomp any sketchy parts not turned into filets and steaks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom