OT: - Anyone here ever get their knee scoped? | The Boneyard

OT: Anyone here ever get their knee scoped?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have two tears in my right knee, one in MCL, other in meniscus. Happened back in late March. I was doing PT for awhile, which worked initially until it didn't and started getting worse. Had an MRI that docs were surprised at since they thought it should've healed. I go back to docs in a couple weeks to determine next step, but they've indicated they're pretty sure they're going to need to get in there.

I've read plenty online about the procedure and recovery but was hoping to hear firsthand from folks who've had it how long it took to get back to walking normally (my job entails walking a lot) and how easy/annoying/painful recovery was. Somehow I got to 64 w/o ever needing surgery other than tonsils when I was a kid. I'm also concerned that being 64 is why the thing didn't heal as I tore my ACL on other knee 10 years ago and it healed up fine, so I'm a bit concerned about how long it'll actually take to return to "normal activities".

Just scopes please, docs don't think a replacement is warranted, so don't have to hear about those, thanks.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Meniscus for me. Had it repaired. Felt great. But it's the start of future problems. I eventually had to get a knee replacement. Good luck.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yes, but 25 years ago in conjunction with a knee reconstruction (complete ACL tear. MCL sprain, and meniscus tear.).

Have to think treatments have improved and there are more recent experiences.

Reaction Score
Hankster is correct. Had both knees done and it cleaned up problems for a while but replacement is in my future as well

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First knee surgery was in 1973, before arthroscopic surgery. Took 5 - 8 weeks to get to normal. The knee had to drained twice. Nice long scar!

I've had my left knee scoped twice - meniscus tear both times. Last one was 1998. So far both knees are fine. Recover time for the scope was around 72 hours before I was walking without a crutch or cane.

I bike 4 to 5 miles almost every day and the knees are fine. I do get the "rice krispies" on a regular basis. Part of getting old. As of right now, no need to consider knee replacement.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've had my left knee scoped twice - meniscus tear both times. Last one was 1998. So far both knees are fine. Recover time for the scope was around 72 hours before I was walking without a crutch or cane.

I bike 4 to 5 miles almost every day and the knees are fine. I do get the "rice krispies" on a regular basis. Part of getting old. As of right now, no need to consider knee replacement.
That is encouraging, thanks. I have the Krispies but it was never painful, just some arthritis that's been benign to date. I enjoy bikingl

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I have two tears in my right knee, one in MCL, other in meniscus. Happened back in late March. I was doing PT for awhile, which worked initially until it didn't and started getting worse. Had an MRI that docs were surprised at since they thought it should've healed. I go back to docs in a couple weeks to determine next step, but they've indicated they're pretty sure they're going to need to get in there.

I've read plenty online about the procedure and recovery but was hoping to hear firsthand from folks who've had it how long it took to get back to walking normally (my job entails walking a lot) and how easy/annoying/painful recovery was. Somehow I got to 64 w/o ever needing surgery other than tonsils when I was a kid. I'm also concerned that being 64 is why the thing didn't heal as I tore my ACL on other knee 10 years ago and it healed up fine, so I'm a bit concerned about how long it'll actually take to return to "normal activities".

Just scopes please, docs don't think a replacement is warranted, so don't have to hear about those, thanks.

I tore both sides of my meniscus in my left knee in a baseball injury in college and I’ve torn the meniscus twice on my right knee in the 10 years following.

With just a meniscus tear you are walking the same day out of surgery. And you can probably drive like a week after the fact. Even sooner if it’s your other leg.

PT was annoying as I had some nagging pain, but if you do your home workouts diligently you should be fine.

Reaction Score

Because of your age you aren’t getting your meniscus repaired. They can use an allograft to repair your MCL but as someone mentioned it is only a matter of time before you get a knee replacement.Depending on the tear, nature of your degeneration given your age, and your arthritis will depend on your next steps. Could be a year or two or ten. Best of luck.

Reaction Score
Total knee replacement for me on Sept. 11- going with a custom built implant (Conformis), they take knee measurements with Cat scan and make implant based on those. I'm 63 and this is due to combination of ACL repair 27 years ago + arthritis.
Sorry, it's not a scope so this probably doesn't help you.

Reaction Score

Had a meniscal repair in 2008, and it worked out fine. Back to walking in about 3 days. Not much pain afterwards, and I was close to your age when it was done.
Sounds like you need an MCL repair too, so I cannot comment on that.

Any prognosis depends on the skill of the surgeon, pre-existing arthritis ( I did not have much then) and other concurrent knee issues, or co-morbidities if that is the correct term.

Since your job requires walking a lot, I would focus on getting comfortable walking shoes, maybe like the Kuru Guru which is comfortable and supportive, but orthofeet.com has good comfort options too. No leather sole dress shoes for sure.

On the exercise front, I would not do any running because of the impact it causes to the feet (sorry avid runners out there), but would do brisk walking which can get the heart rate up quite a bit. Cycling, swimming, ellipticals, fine too.

I have known many runners who eventually required TKR)total knee replacement) and THR (total hip replacement). Just my bias though. They loved running before.

Best wishes on whatever you choose to do. The approach again involves proper footwear, exercise within your realistic limits, and not jumping into a full exercise regimen too soon after whatever surgery you elect.

Reaction Score

The one I wear is called the Kinetic Anti-slip, really supportive for walking or for any activity.

Reaction Score
Yes
I climbed a mountain in Mexico 6-8 weeks after
torn Meniscus surgery. I would recommend Post surgery rehab. My wife didn’t go after hers and her recovery was much longer.
There are also alternative treatments to surgery available. I recently had two tears in my shoulder and opted for this electronic treatment. I don’t know if the tears healed or not but the pain is gone.

Reaction Score
Yes
I climbed a mountain in Mexico 6-8 weeks after
torn Meniscus surgery. I would recommend Post surgery rehab. My wife didn’t go after hers and her recovery was much longer.
There are also alternative treatments to surgery available. I recently had two tears in my shoulder and opted for this electronic treatment. I don’t know if the tears healed or not but the pain is gone.
What is the electronic treatment you are referring to, and which type of practitioner performs it?

I am having some shoulder issues, but am not sure of the diagnosis until I see the doctor in September.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Scoped for Meniscus tear twice in 4 years from football. 1984 and 1988. Missed a whole season in Highschool and college but played with no problems in between surgeries. Never had any limitations afterwards in playing any sports, etc. but it hurts like crazy if I drive long distances, drive small vehicles or attempt to sit in back seats. Also, I can’t wear certain footwear ( flip flops, etc.) or I’ll feel it the day after.

Reaction Score
Scoped for a meniscus tear in 2006 at 48 years old. Had the back of the kneecap scraped too. Got home everything was pretty good, moving knee well. By 11pm the anesthetic they had put into the knee joint wore off and it hurt like crazy and was real hard to bend. Kept moving in the following days. Went back to work after day 8. That was a mistake. Should have taken 2 full weeks as I had a blue collar job so the knee was sore for a while and would have been smarter to give it more time. Knee still hurts with an active day so I take an Aleve or two but never had a tear since.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Yes. They thought I tore ACL and meniscus or MCL based on MRI. Did pre surgery PT. Upon scope they find instead my ligaments and meniscus are fine. But my articular cartilage was blown to bits (which is worse, not better, think Greg Oden). Said it looked like a hand grenade went off. They did a debridement and told me it would be bad later and I’d probably need a new knee. But...that stuff keeps getting better.

Recovery is ok. Crutches for awhile but it’s not bad really. Way better than invasive. This was about 2007 or 2008 I think.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What is the electronic treatment you are referring to, and which type of practitioner performs it?

I am having some shoulder issues, but am not sure of the diagnosis until I see the doctor in September.

I assume he means the TENs machines PTs use.

Reaction Score
Just had both meniscus done, separately. Feel great now. Was walking within 4 hours of the surgery. Slowly, but pain free.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'll get back to you should I ever need advice on trepanning.

Honestly, @storrsroars, don’t sweat it. Get it done. Recovery will be reasonable.They said mine would get bad again, and it did, but PT did solve that. Fix the underlying issue and you improve your ability to resolve future problems non surgically. But @Doctor Hoop is the man

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

Thanks to @HuskyHawk for tagging me. So, here's the deal.

Meniscus tears VERY rarely heal on their own; MCL tears almost always do. If you do PT for a meniscus tear what you are shooting for is to avoid surgery by having the knee become asymptomatic, not for the tear to heal as if it were never torn.

So at this point, 5 months post injury, it's likely that's the only ongoing problem. And if it's still symptomatic I'd be talking to my patient about scoping the knee. At age 64 it's not likely a "repairable" tear, that is, the doc wouldn't be putting stitches in it to get it to heal. They'd most likely be removing the torn portions, preserving as much meniscus as possible, and cleaning up any other issues they encounter while there, such as small areas of joint cartilage damage.

The good news with that is that you can walk on it right away, and be off crutches as soon as you feel comfortable doing so. Early weight bearing and early range of motion - treating the knee like a normal knee - is best. There's a low but present risk of blood clots (DVT) and infection.

Now, if the MCL needs to be repaired or reconstructed ... :eek:

Reaction Score
I had both knees done about 13 years. I feel
Great. I Play basketball and tennis, my surgeon was dr James depuy in ridgefield ct. I love that man. He also cleaned up both of my shoulders which is how I can play tennis.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Thanks to @HuskyHawk for tagging me. So, here's the deal.

Meniscus tears VERY rarely heal on their own; MCL tears almost always do. If you do PT for a meniscus tear what you are shooting for is to avoid surgery by having the knee become asymptomatic, not for the tear to heal as if it were never torn.

So at this point, 5 months post injury, it's likely that's the only ongoing problem. And if it's still symptomatic I'd be talking to my patient about scoping the knee. At age 64 it's not likely a "repairable" tear, that is, the doc wouldn't be putting stitches in it to get it to heal. They'd most likely be removing the torn portions, preserving as much meniscus as possible, and cleaning up any other issues they encounter while there, such as small areas of joint cartilage damage.

The good news with that is that you can walk on it right away, and be off crutches as soon as you feel comfortable doing so. Early weight bearing and early range of motion - treating the knee like a normal knee - is best. There's a low but present risk of blood clots (DVT) and infection.

Now, if the MCL needs to be repaired or reconstructed ... :eek:
I didn't know that about the meniscus, but on the MCL, as I noted, my docs were surprised it hadn't healed on its own. The MRI showed the two tears, and that was 4 months after the original injury. But I'm encouraged on the rehab.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I didn't know that about the meniscus, but on the MCL, as I noted, my docs were surprised it hadn't healed on its own. The MRI showed the two tears, and that was 4 months after the original injury. But I'm encouraged on the rehab.
It's definitely unusual, though not unheard of, for an MCL to either not heal, or heal loose. If, after the injury, your knee had delay in treatment for the MCL that could be the reason it's loose. Tightening that up or reconstructing it is a bigger surgery than just a "scope," often requiring a graft and an "internal brace," which is a newer technique using suture material fixed to the bone to protect the healing/reconstructed ligament.

Good luck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom