Anyone Ever Attend a UConn BB True Road Game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Anyone Ever Attend a UConn BB True Road Game

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Was out west for business in 99 and got to see UConn beat Stanford at Maples. No issues from the fans. After the game ended, we lingered and then wandered on to the court and around the hallways near the locker rooms without anyone stopping us. Before we knew it, Coach Calhoun was walking right towards us and I got to shake his hand and congratulate him on the victory. Pretty surreal moment.
Also saw UConn dismantle BC at Conte in the Okafor years.
Was the BC game 2004 where a third of conte was UConn fans? Big Red was there and we were doing u-c-o-n-n chants.

I've had great experiences with UConn road games:
  • Providence
  • BC
  • UMass
  • St. Johns
  • Cuse
  • UNC
  • Villanova

Reaction Score
All games in FL I go to. Like everyone said home games pretty much - what could they possibly say to us. They know their place.
Women's games sell out every time down here. Can't get a ticket.

Reaction Score
I was raised a UConn fan from birth. My mother attended and my father is a college hoops fanatic. My parents took us to see UConn at Georgetown, when the Hoyas had Iverson. My brothers and I got to meet and get pics with Dicky V at a bookstore the day before the game. My father used to buy season tickets to UConn and BC, when the original BE existed, so I remember seeing the Donny/Donyell teams play at Conte Forum. As I got older and started attending games with friends, we would go to the Garden for St.John's games and the Dunk for PC games.

Also, don't let anyone ever tell you that the George Mason game was not an away game. I was there...it was.
No excuse for losing to George Mason. That was the most embarrassing loss of the Calhoun era.

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
During the BE classic rivalry with Georgetown and living in VA I would always attend the games at the Capital Center or later at the Verizon Center. Would make sure to be fully attired with a UCONN jersey and hat and sing the fight song as loud as I could. Loved to shout "NIT, NIT" when the Hoyas entered the court.

Reaction Score
BC
Georgetown
Seton Hall
Providence
St John's
Villanova
Syracuse

Best all-around venue: The Garden by a mile. Nothing like a good game there.
Worst all-around venue: Seton Hall/Meadowlands. Made the Civic Center look like the Taj Mahal.
Best fans: Providence
Worst fans: Cuse

Reaction Score
About nine years ago I went to the RAC. Drove down with a buddy and as soon as I got through the toll, I noticed my Civic was accelerating funny. Soon after, my car couldn't make it to the apex of the off-ramp. The tow guy was a gentleman and asked us where we were going, so he dropped us off at the RAC free of charge, but tipped him a $20.

I loved the RAC: weird building, the oddest sounding building I've ever been in especially the way sound sustains in the corners...trippy stuff. Overall, it was a good time and fans were fun, just some fun ribbing back and forth. Unfortunately, not only did my car break down and the Huskies lost, but to get home, I had to:
  1. Hail a cab to the nearest train station
  2. Take a train to Penn Station
  3. Said goodbye to my friend and took the subway to Grand Central
  4. Take the Saturday 1:30 AM train to Stamford
  5. Get picked up from the train station and got a friend to drop me off home.
  6. Spent the following day at a New Jersey auto body shop, eventually selling the car for parts
On a much less uneventful note I went to watch UConn/Seton Hall @ The Prudential twice. Beautiful building and really easy to get to. The fans were all pretty low key.

And for those of you who say St. John’s @ MSG: that’s a home game.

Whenever fans can return to games, I plan on making it out to one of the NBE cities, preferably Hinkle first.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Oh yeah, I forgot I went to Cuse 2x as a UConn fan...I did a year at Cuse Law before transferring so I got some cheaper “student priced” tickets. Nosebleeds. No real issues as far as rooting for UConn, I believe that was 07-08.

Next time was Drummond’s year, Blaney coached. My buddy’s Syracuse firm had seasons so he got me a ticket and we went together. Told me pretty much not to deck myself out in UConn stuff and try not to be a jerk in less words... I didn’t listen, I wore my fresh 2011 championship hat and shirt but the season ticket holders in the group were all light about it.

I wasn’t making a scene or anything, I was quiet about it all but I did tell them all I was NOT a Cuse fan...and we did lose that game so I couldn’t exactly crow.

I’m pretty sure both times I saw them at the Dome, Cuse got us.

Reaction Score
In 13-14’ I went to the game at Washington and at UCF. Wore full Uconn garb and nobody said anything!! In 2008 I went to “the battle in Seattle” against Gonzaga, which might as well have been a Zags home game.... those fans were nasty

Reaction Score
Went to every away and tournament game from 04-06, courtesy of sticks RIP. West Virginia was the worst followed by pitt.

For the most part all away fans were fine. WVU fans were the absolute worst between using racial slurs and just hating on UConn fans calling them everything southerners call northerners
I went to a WVU/Okla St football game just for fun (Have friends who live near stadium) and had a beer thrown at me along with some bad slurs while returning to my seat from the concession stand. I had the nerve to wear a UC Bearcats Zip up with a WVU hat. WVU fans were notorious for pouring beer all over a group of older women who attended a Marshall/WVU football game in 06/07

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Best one was the game at old Manley Field House (next to the last played there with Georgetown closing it down the following Monday night) at Cuse
We left CT and the sun was shining and about 40 degrees
Right outside of Albany it started to snow
Every 10 miles the snow was a few inches deeper and by the time we pulled into Cuse the snow was almost waist deep
Of course UConn lost and the 5 of us were almost thrown out due to raunchy language and making fun of Marty Headd all game
After the game, inebriated and lost we searched for a liquor store - found one and I went to rear of the building to take a leak and while doing my thing a bright light was in my face and a freaking Syracuse cop was pointing to a huge window of a restaurant and all the patrons were watching me trying to do my thing in snow up to my crotch and teetering back and forth. I couldn't stop so just continued and took a bow as I zipped up.
I got a written warning for public exposure but in reality he gave it to me as a joke
Been to 100s of away games but that was the best UConn basketball road trip
Now UConn soccer road trips..............................

Reaction Score
Moved to Columbus 20 years ago, been to an OSU game, which we lost, a few years back. Sparse crowd, but no real animosity, despite me compelety decked out in Uconn garb. I also get down to see the Cinnci game most years, although ive avoided the last few years, as we've been non competitive recently. The Stadium is small , compact and very hostile. My greatest experience was 2016, i was right behind cinnci bench, and Cronin was eyeballing me, as i was loud as hell, then the student section in unison started pointing at me and chanting. Even though we lost, i felt like the crowd was very aware and good naturedly antagonistic. Not an easy place to win.
The Cincinnati game was usually the only one I was able to go to every year. I have a connection for front row but it’s opposite side from benches. I never really thought of UC as a hostile place to play under Cronin. It seemed to change when Huggy Bear was gone. I don’t usually get messed with too much other than my wife giving me a hard time for being loud when UConn makes a play. I also attend with a group of UC fans though. That OSU game was a joke with the suckeyes living at the free throw line the whole second half.

Reaction Score
I’m looking forward to having more than one road game to go to each year with the move to the Big East. I’ll be at Xavier, Butler and DePaul each year instead of just Cincy.

Reaction Score
My wife and I went to the ( brand new?) DuPont Pavilion in February of 1989 to see Cliffy and Phil play against Villanova. Cliff was a beast and Chris Smith played really well in regulation. We sat in the very back row with a cluster of about 15 UConn fans who we didn't know. We were all pretty obnoxious because we led for the vast majority of the game. I forget exactly what caused the collapse, we wound up losing in overtime and really heard it from the fans sitting around us. We deserved everything we got because we were overdoing it during the slst few minutes of regulation.
It may be the same game I remember being at. Up by 16 with about ten minutes to go and lost. I remember a little razzing. Wore my UCONN sweatshirt out to the local bars after the game.

Reaction Score
at St John's (Alumni Hall and MSG) Both great places to see a game. Anxioulsy waiting for the MSG games again.
Villanova at Dupont
at Seton Hall - Meadowlands not much reaction fro SHU fans
at UMASS- Curry Hicks Cage very rowdy place
Providence
Boston U reminded me of a high school gym
Fairfield (Alumni Hall at Fairfield - showing my age)
BC at Boston Garden
Rhode island

Reaction Score
Ive been to a couple. At Georgetown in 2017 and at ECU in 2018. Wore UConn gear at both, no jeers though. There were a lot of Husky fans at the ECU game to my surprise. I know a family was definitely in attendance. Wanna say it was Whaleys, since hes from NC, but I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
UConn vs Texas in Austin back in January 2011. The infamous Roscoe Smith heave game. Honestly it may be the best game I’ve ever been to.
I was there as well! I bet that there were perhaps no more than 50 of us in that sea of burnt orange! I was the guy yelling "GO HUSKIES" while the 'Horns were shooting their free throws! I agree that it was one of the best games I have ever witnessed in person!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Every time we play Temple at home this gigantic WWE size type guy is there in full Owl gear losing his mind. I’m sure others have seen this dude?? I trust no one messes with him

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
About nine years ago I went to the RAC. Drove down with a buddy and as soon as I got through the toll, I noticed my Civic was accelerating funny. Soon after, my car couldn't make it to the apex of the off-ramp. The tow guy was a gentleman and asked us where we were going, so he dropped us off at the RAC free of charge, but tipped him a $20.

I loved the RAC: weird building, the oddest sounding building I've ever been in especially the way sound sustains in the corners...trippy stuff. Overall, it was a good time and fans were fun, just some fun ribbing back and forth. Unfortunately, not only did my car break down and the Huskies lost, but to get home, I had to:
  1. Hail a cab to the nearest train station
  2. Take a train to Penn Station
  3. Said goodbye to my friend and took the subway to Grand Central
  4. Take the Saturday 1:30 AM train to Stamford
  5. Get picked up from the train station and got a friend to drop me off home.
  6. Spent the following day at a New Jersey auto body shop, eventually selling the car for parts
On a much less uneventful note I went to watch UConn/Seton Hall @ The Prudential twice. Beautiful building and really easy to get to. The fans were all pretty low key.

And for those of you who say St. John’s @ MSG: that’s a home game.

Whenever fans can return to games, I plan on making it out to one of the NBE cities, preferably Hinkle first.
Ah the 2012 team who pulled the infamous NJ o-for losing to SHU and RU

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I went to almost every game @PC before the Big East - AAC split. Always wore my UConn stuff. No issues. Looking forward to those games again.

I watched the infamous UConn @ Kansas game at Kemper Arena in KC (wish it had been at AFH). Wore my UConn stuff even though I had graduated from KU law school the year before. I took some grief from friends after that game.

Reaction Score
Wife, our best friends and I traveled to Philadelphia to watch both the men's and women's games against Villanova. Men played in the afternoon and were expected to lose, went to overtime when Anderson hit a three as time expired. They won. UCONN fans went crazy. Woman were #1 and played in the evening. They were expected to blow Villanova out of the gym. They lost. Villanova fans went crazy. Both UCONN teams went on to win National Championships. Great experience, as expected Villanova fans were very vocal in supporting their teams, but a great number of UCONN fan base at both games. Best atmosphere I ever experienced. Can't remember when both men and women traveled and played the same opponent on the same day. Wish it could happen more often.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
ND
DePaul
Marquette
Illinois
My daughter goes to Cincy but the last 2 years the UConn-Cincy game was over winter break and my daughter did not want to return to campus early. Now I can take her to a Xavier game and we can both cheer for the Huskies. Btw, if you are at the NBE tourney and for some has reason have to choose between hanging with Marquette fans or ND fans choose the Marquette group every time. Also, I always wear UConn gear to a UConn game. I thought that was a given.

Reaction Score
Been to many but one stands out. Was in Chicago for business and parlayed that into drive up to Milwaukee to see Marquette game on a Wed night during the 2008-09 season. It was an electric atmosphere in and around the arena. We were ranked #2 in country at time and Marquette was #10.

Game was an absolute track meet. AJ Price ended up scoring 36 points. Incredible performance by him. Marquette had some real good players at the time too.

The Marquette fans were very hospitable (like typical Midwesterners). The cherry on top of the evening was it was JC's 800th win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom