Anyone Ever Attend a UConn BB True Road Game | The Boneyard

Anyone Ever Attend a UConn BB True Road Game

Reaction Score
How was the experience?

Did you wear the UConn cap and any other UConn clothing there?

Any jeers, taunts or profanity from the hometown fans directed at you or the group?

Were any arenas particularly hostile?

Reaction Score
I remember being absolutely miserable at the UConn - Pepperdine game in Malibu in 2005 because that was the night the California bar exam results came out and I couldn’t check to see if I passed until I got home.

I believe that was the first game of the Craig Austrie era and they were on their way to Maui. Also a little white dude named Gerrity who I think ended up transferring to USC ended up having a pretty nice game and making the game less enjoyable than it should have been. Fans were fine though. Like being in a high school gym.

Reaction Score
I used to go almost every time we played Seton Hall at the Meadowlands. There used to be bus trips down there from all over CT. Those were the days when there was literally more UConn fans than Seton Hall fans in their building, and I'm pretty sure Dan Hurley made mention of that during his press conference when he got hired. Since that was the case, I wouldn't consider that really a "true" road game. The same goes for St John's games at MSG. Those were usually pro UConn crowds. The one game that stands out though was when we got killed in 2011 by STJ at MSG. That crowd was pretty hostile as I remember getting harassed by a couple drunk kids for wearing my UConn shirt.

Reaction Score
I’ve been to games at both Temple and Villanova. At Temple no one cared about or acknowledged my UConn gear. Villanova was lots of fun ribbing. Nova was a great atmosphere with a lot of other UConn fans there.

Reaction Score
Went to every away and tournament game from 04-06, courtesy of sticks RIP. West Virginia was the worst followed by pitt.

For the most part all away fans were fine. WVU fans were the absolute worst between using racial slurs and just hating on UConn fans calling them everything southerners call northerners

Reaction Score
I have been to the following away games always in full UConn clothing

Providence
Notre Dame
Pitt
Syracuse
UCF
Memphis
USF
Gtown
Villanova

Worst fans were UCF

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I remember being absolutely miserable at the UConn - Pepperdine game in Malibu in 2005 because that was the night the California bar exam results came out and I couldn’t check to see if I passed until I got home.

I believe that was the first game of the Craig Austrie era and they were on their way to Maui. Also a little white dude named Gerrity who I think ended up transferring to USC ended up having a pretty nice game and making the game less enjoyable than it should have been. Fans were fine though. Like being in a high school gym.
I was there as well! Was visiting my son who’d just taken a job in Irvine. We ate at Duke’s in Malibu ( I think alumni were meeting there) than drove up to the campus - prettiest campus ever. We sat in the upper bleachers next to a UConn player’s family - good game; were we ranked #1 maybe? The game was a lot closer than it should have been!

Reaction Score
Seton Hall a few times. Come to think of it, those Jersey boys were a bit jerky.

Also at Syracuse, where I was fine. Ignored.

As an undergrad, I was at the infamous UConn-BU snow game, where UConn got stuck in snow on the highway, and Mike Jarvis insisted the game be played anyway after a long delay.

Reaction Score
I went to a game in Miami when Constantin Popa played for Miami- If I remember correctly he was like 7 feet tall. I held up a sign that said - “No Hopa for Popa”

Reaction Score
Went to a game at Notre Dame in 2012 when we snapped there home game winning streak. Was amazing. ND fans didn't care too much for me.

Was also at the 2009 game in south bend where we snapped their longest home winning streak as well. Place was electric.

Reaction Score
At the same ND games. Also have done U of Michigan and DePaul. Michigan fans were the biggest issue of all, but still not horrible. Always represent, but just remember you are in hostile territory. If you are obnoxious, you will hear about it.

Reaction Score
Jan 28, 1995 vs Kansas @ Kemper Arena. It was a combined Men’s and Women’s team set. We came in at 15-0. We lost 88-59.

Reaction Score
Saw UConn vs PC at the Dunk. Late 90's. If I had to guess I would say 97. I honestly can't even remember who won. I

Reaction Score
Saw UConn vs PC at the Dunk. Late 90's. If I had to guess I would say 97. I honestly can't even remember who won. I

I was at the dildo game at the Dunk. Been to a bunch of UConn games there. I think that was around the time the Gordon / Okafor teams were rounding into shape but I can’t remember details. I have a vague recollection of being impressed by Donnie McGrath, and way more impressed when I met his wife years later.

Reaction Score
Wow. I was going to ask if this was a serious BY question but I shall not. If they look at this post and reply, many will share my answer I am sure.

Went to a true road game at every real original ( not ray's ... wrong thread) BE gym with some double dips in pro arenas such as SJU with the Garden in there, Nova including Spectrum, BCU Conte and the Boston Garden.

Worst was the Iverson years at Gtown ... To me anyway. But many great times had. I guess I AM old.

Anybody else? Come on now ...

Edit: everything about Syracuse both sucks and blows.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn at Georgetown at the Verizon Center in 2015, sat in the student section since my cousin was an alum. Got razzed the whole time.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
I had moved to Ohio for grad school and my buddy moved to Michigan with his family and we took on the Michigan State game in 1999-2000 season. Unmercifully heckled and rightly so since lost 88-65. Mostly though it felt like pity since we were so bad. Robertson and Wrenn were both suspended for the game. Mich St won it all that year so I guess that’s something.

Reaction Score
I was there as well! Was visiting my son who’d just taken a job in Irvine. We ate at Duke’s in Malibu ( I think alumni were meeting there) than drove up to the campus - prettiest campus ever. We sat in the upper bleachers next to a UConn player’s family - good game; were we ranked #1 maybe? The game was a lot closer than it should have been!
I was also at that game. It was always great, years we played in Maui, because we almost always had a game or two in CA either on the way out or the way back. I have seen the Huskies @ Pepperdine, @ LMU, @ UCSB, maybe at UCIrvine too, maybe at U of Pacific or Fresno State. My memory isn't that great anymore. I have seen the Husky women out here a bunch too. Always wore multiple pieces of Husky clothing, never had a problem with the other teams fans. Of course most of these CA teams were cupcakes for us, so I wouldn't expect any hard times.

Reaction Score
I moved to central FL a few years ago. Went UCF 2 years ago & USF last year. It was an AAC game though, there was almost more UConn Fans than UCF/USF ones it seemed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom