OT: - Any Pearl Jam fans out there? | The Boneyard

OT: Any Pearl Jam fans out there?

Reaction Score
Layne Staley is the best grunge-era vocalist, him and Chris Cornell too.
100% agree - two of the best voices of all time. Think what makes both of them so good is how inimitable they both are - particularly Staley, in my opinion

Reaction Score
I have scene most of the grunge bands in the 90s. Alway missed pearl jam. Even gave my tix to my college best friend.

Reaction Score
100% agree - two of the best voices of all time. Think what makes both of them so good is how inimitable they both are - particularly Staley, in my opinion
Staley at his peak might be my favorite. With Cornell, there are always the Robert Plant comparisons. I don’t know if anyone before Staley who sounded like him. Others have tried since then, without success, although William DuVall does a nice job in the current AIC by not trying to imitate him.
I’d add Mark Lanegan if we’re going down the list - personally prefer him to Arm and Wood, but think that’s because of the gravely, painful, quality of his voice that reminds me of Staley
Lanegan is right after Vedder, Staley, and Cornell for me. His body of work is so impressive, yet he’s so underrated. His memoir was heavy stuff, but I loved it.
I have scene most of the grunge bands in the 90s. Alway missed pearl jam. Even gave my tix to my college best friend.
Make sure you see them if you get the chance. I’ve seen them 15 times, and they never disappoint. Besides mixing up setlists, they really bring the energy every night. I don’t think they ever won’t be my favorite band (AIC was close through the 90s).

Reaction Score
You guys are right about the setlist, I’d like to attend three of their concerts in three days at one point. They draw from over 600 songs in their catalog.
Nothingman is my favorite.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I love Pearl Jam (off he goes is my freakin username) and I love UConn hoops.

Pearl Jam has a part in my user name also, but its indirect, related to a weekend I spent in Vegas right after my divorce, which included their seminal 10/22/2000 show....

Reaction Score
Staley at his peak might be my favorite. With Cornell, there are always the Robert Plant comparisons. I don’t know if anyone before Staley who sounded like him. Others have tried since then, without success, although William DuVall does a nice job in the current AIC by not trying to imitate him.

Lanegan is right after Vedder, Staley, and Cornell for me. His body of work is so impressive, yet he’s so underrated. His memoir was heavy stuff, but I loved it.

Make sure you see them if you get the chance. I’ve seen them 15 times, and they never disappoint. Besides mixing up setlists, they really bring the energy every night. I don’t think they ever won’t be my favorite band (AIC was close through the 90s).

Because random things i missed pearl jam a few times...
Say Nirvana 3x
Sound garden 2x
Alice and chains
Most of the subpop bands etc (green river,tad, sonic youth etc)

Reaction Score
Pearl Jam has a part in my user name also, but its indirect, related to a weekend I spent in Vegas right after my divorce, which included their seminal 10/22/2000 show....
I have that bootleg. Great show!

Reaction Score
You guys are right about the setlist, I’d like to attend three of their concerts in three days at one point. They draw from over 600 songs in their catalog.
Nothingman is my favorite.
I saw them three times in 10 days in Mansfield in 2003. The only repeat song was “Yellow Ledbetter”. And those were my first three Pearl Jam shows. Not a bad start!

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I’d add Mark Lanegan if we’re going down the list - personally prefer him to Arm and Wood, but think that’s because of the gravely, painful, quality of his voice that reminds me of Staley
I thought Screaming Trees were a little underrated. That was the best era of music in my lifetime in my opinion. Singles was about the best movie soundtrack I can think of.

Reaction Score
I thought Screaming Trees were a little underrated. That was the best era of music in my lifetime in my opinion. Singles was about the best movie soundtrack I can think of.
Say them open for Stone Temple Pilot in new haven during the mid 90s... screaming trees put a good show on. StP was really good that night... (not always true when i say them)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I was near the epicenter of it during the height of the grunge era, but wasn't really that into it until later. When I did start listening, I much preferred AIC and Soundgarden to Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Didn't check into Screaming Trees until much, much later.

Haven't seen Hammerbox mentioned yet, another I was way late to the party for, but like Screaming Trees I think they were underrated. Their lead vocalist, Carrie Akre, later was in the band Goodness.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom