Any MIR news? | The Boneyard

Any MIR news?

AFJ

Reaction Score
Has anybody got any news about Mir McLean since practice started?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
What kind of news are you seeking? Based on Geno's comments, it sounds like Mir is the 4th freshman after Paige, Aaliyah and Nika, so 9th on the depth chart. Not that unusual so she seems to being playing as we sort of expected. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just 2 things that I can recall:

1. Someone (Christyn, I believe) said she can jump out of the gym and is "like another Aubrey."

2. Geno said that Paige, Aaliyah, and Nika at times “look like they’ve been playing college basketball for a while because they fit right in, they slide right in.” Then he added something like, "Mir a little bit." Piath and Autumn somewhat less. I think that clearly puts Mir 9th in the overall depth chart.

Reaction Score
Out of all the new players, it is hardest to figure out a regular role for Mir. Part of that is we haven't heard much about her from practice, and there wasn't much video of her before she arrived. By reputation we hear she is a great athlete, can leap, and is a great rebounder.

At her size she would appear to be a wing, but her style at least in high school sounds more like an undersized big who because of her leaping ability, could score and rebound around the basket. Will those inside abilities translate against even bigger and more athletic bigs in college?

Of course Gabby is the possible comparison, both 5-11 and great athletes. Gabby had a bigger stronger body to bang inside even guarding some top centers reasonably well. Personally without injuries or foul trouble I think Geno could go with a three big rotation of Liv, Aubrey and Aaliyah with Liv and Aubrey getting their minutes at C and PF respectively, and Aaliyah splitting her time between both spots.

In that scenario there might not be much time for Mir or Piath up front, but when going to a fourth "big" it might depend on what size and or skills are most needed for that game. Even though they are quite different Mir and Piath might be competing for that role.

On the other hand Mir because of her mobility and size can be considered at the wing as well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here is Mir in her own words. "It is exactly what I anticipated".

She is also a language buff and is learning Polish and Croatian from Ann and Nika and Arabic on her own.
I suspect there are a few Academic awards in Mir's future.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Out of all the new players, it is hardest to figure out a regular role for Mir. Part of that is we haven't heard much about her from practice, and there wasn't much video of her before she arrived. By reputation we hear she is a great athlete, can leap, and is a great rebounder.

At her size she would appear to be a wing, but her style at least in high school sounds more like an undersized big who because of her leaping ability, could score and rebound around the basket. Will those inside abilities translate against even bigger and more athletic bigs in college?

Of course Gabby is the possible comparison, both 5-11 and great athletes. Gabby had a bigger stronger body to bang inside even guarding some top centers reasonably well. Personally without injuries or foul trouble I think Geno could go with a three big rotation of Liv, Aubrey and Aaliyah with Liv and Aubrey getting their minutes at C and PF respectively, and Aaliyah splitting her time between both spots.

In that scenario there might not be much time for Mir or Piath up front, but when going to a fourth "big" it might depend on what size and or skills are most needed for that game. Even though they are quite different Mir and Piath might be competing for that role.

On the other hand Mir because of her mobility and size can be considered at the wing as well.

Yeah, Mir is kind of a "tweener" and really needs to develop some aspects of her game before she can really shine. Don't get me wrong, her athleticism and unrelenting motor will help the team this year, but she is very limited offensively. She basically scores in three ways, either a put back off a missed shot, a layup off the bounce, or a layup in transition after a steal. She really needs to develop her jump shot and be able to consistently knock down shots from 15 feet and in. I also think her impact in the rebounding game is going to lessened considerably going up against the much bigger and more physical 3s and 4s in the college game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When Mir comes in, she will add an infusion of energy. She can hit the boards and run. Her outside shot is mediocre, but midrange is good and FTs are very good. I look for a bunch of "and-ones." She gets off the floor so fast that people will foul her.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Hopefully Geno will conclude that his team has enough depth, speed and athleticism to play a full court pressing game much of the time. He has not had the luxury to make it a staple in recent years.

I am cautiously optimistic that he will come to that conclusion.

In that event, you would definitely see a lot of Aubrey, but I`m guessing that Edwards and Mir will adapt well to that style of play and will get plenty of opportunities in that regard as well.

Reaction Score
I't's unlikely to happen but I'd love to see UConn utilize a second team of Mir, Nika, Aubrey, AAliyah and Piath once or twice a game just to shake up the other team...........not sure how much they'd score but they would drive the other team crazy with their defense and hustle.......

Reaction Score
I't's unlikely to happen but I'd love to see UConn utilize a second team of Mir, Nika, Aubrey, AAliyah and Piath once or twice a game just to shake up the other team...........not sure how much they'd score but they would drive the other team crazy with their defense and hustle.......

I think it's Geno who would go crazy after a couple of minutes. Four players without a minute of experience and a sophomore are not the ingredients for a scary defense, despite their enthusiasm.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Geno will conclude that his team has enough depth, speed and athleticism to play a full court pressing game much of the time. He has not had the luxury to make it a staple in recent years.

I am cautiously optimistic that he will come to that conclusion.

In that event, you would definitely see a lot of Aubrey, but I`m guessing that Edwards and Mir will adapt well to that style of play and will get plenty of opportunities in that regard as well.
The challenges for McLean and Gabriel are that I believe they've had very limited exposure to things like setting screens, defensive rotations, and functioning in an actual college type offense. And until they understand and can execute those there will be very limited PT available in UConn's system.

Reaction Score
I think it's Geno who would go crazy after a couple of minutes. Four players without a minute of experience and a sophomore are not the ingredients for a scary defense, despite their enthusiasm.

depends on the opponent..............I think superior athleticism and work ethic sure goes a long way in playing effect defense.........Aubrey sure got a lot of PT as a freshman based on those very attributes...........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
depends on the opponent..............I think superior athleticism and work ethic sure goes a long way in playing effect defense.........sure got a lot of PT as a freshman based on those very attributes...........
Takes more than superior athleticism to get on the floor at UCONN it takes superior basketball skills. Mikayla Coombs had all the athleticism in the world. Aubrey got a lot of time last year mostly because of the composition of the roster which lack reliable alternatives combined with the ability to impact the game defensively.

HGN

Reaction Score
I'm sure Charlie was assuming that Uconn had a good lead or it was a blowout at some point.

Reaction Score
Takes more than superior athleticism to get on the floor at UCONN it takes superior basketball skills. Mikayla Coombs had all the athleticism in the world. Aubrey got a lot of time last year mostly because of the composition of the roster which lack reliable alternatives combined with the ability to impact the game defensively.

so you don't think those five players couldn't effectively defend against Providence, Georgetown or Xavier?

Reaction Score

it's the composition of this year"s roster that makes the idea so much fun!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
so you don't think those five players couldn't effectively defend against Providence, Georgetown or Xavier?
Yea that 5 could probably win the BE along with just Autumn. But UCONN has bigger aspirations. Against teams Baylor, South Carolina & Louisville and at a FF, 4 out of that 5 might become spectators.

Reaction Score
Yea that 5 could probably win the BE along with just Autumn. But UCONN has bigger aspirations. Against teams Baylor, South Carolina & Louisville and at a FF, 4 out of that 5 might become spectators.

we agree there..........I think Geno is going to want to get the freshmen who are working hard in practice a few minutes of game time and why not throw them into the deep end once in awhile to see what happens during a lull in an easy game........

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just 2 things that I can recall:

1. Someone (Christyn, I believe) said she can jump out of the gym and is "like another Aubrey."

2. Geno said that Paige, Aaliyah, and Nika at times “look like they’ve been playing college basketball for a while because they fit right in, they slide right in.” Then he added something like, "Mir a little bit." Piath and Autumn somewhat less. I think that clearly puts Mir 9th in the overall depth chart.

The part I like best about that report is the “fit right in” about Paige, Nika and Aaliyah. Needless to say these 3 will be in the top 8 rotation. Since they fit right in, odds are he won’t hesitate in subbing them in.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
When Mir comes in, she will add an infusion of energy. She can hit the boards and run. Her outside shot is mediocre, but midrange is good and FTs are very good. I look for a bunch of "and-ones." She gets off the floor so fast that people will foul her.

There will be situations where Geno will not need any offense from Mir, but need her more on the defensive end of the court. He'll have 4 other shooters on the floor.

She can concentrate on rebounding and getting steals until her offensive game comes around. Her skills and athleticism will make room for her.

She is not ready for "prime time" play yet, but it will come. If not this year, next year for sure (sophomore leap). She'll get plenty of opportunity during conference play against the 2nd tier teams.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Mir should get plenty of time against many of the BE schools. BTW, I think Xavier will be much improved in year 2 of Coach Moore, significantly better than Georgetown or PC... ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom