Any Chance One of Our Incoming Freshman Can Reclassify> | The Boneyard

Any Chance One of Our Incoming Freshman Can Reclassify>

Reaction Score
We need another body! Is there any chance one of our incoming players can reclassify like Saylor did and be available for the second semester. Probably just wishful thinking..... but maybe someone out there knows something....or someone.

Reaction Score
We need another body! Is there any chance one of our incoming players can reclassify like Saylor did and be available for the second semester. Probably just wishful thinking..... but maybe someone out there knows something....or someone.

Sailor came in the year when it didn't go against her eligibility. If any play the second half of the year, it will count for them. The portal on the other hand may be an option.

Reaction Score
I think our incoming freshman have to finish high school first. Portal's only open for another week, and the fall portal isn't nearly as well stocked as the one in the summer because it's only open from the 1st to the 15th, and not too many are looking to jump between semesters. And even then I'm not sure if a waiver is required to play in the spring semester. I believe Mir had to get a waiver, and there's always the chance the NCAA could reject it.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Jana El Alfy...the Egyptian...has been rumored that she will graduate from high school early...leaving
open the possibility of entering UConn for second semester. She would be eligible to play...though that would burn a year of athletic eligibility even if she played just one minute. I've seen different heights for her...most around 6'4".

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Let's hope not.
That worked out real well for Sailor.

I don't understand why a "Fan" would think a potential great player should come in early.

Basically having a waisted year to maybe get cleanup minutes at the end of a game? Losing a "whole" year of eligibility, training, conditioning, experience with the UConn system.

Sometime I think people ask or send out questions without even contemplating the idea, thought, or question before hand.

Reaction Score
Let's hope not.

I don't understand why a "Fan" would think a potential great player should come in early.

Basically having a waisted year to maybe get cleanup minutes at the end of a game? Losing a "whole" year of eligibility, training, conditioning, experience with the UConn system.

Sometime I think people ask or send out questions without even contemplating the idea, thought, or question before hand.
Actually, I think it that some fans just can’t accept that sometimes you just may lose basketball games.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Actually, I think it that some fans just can’t accept that sometimes you just may lose basketball games.
Fans had better get used to it. Seems to me we're getting exactly what Geno and a few other coaches, programs, have been working toward.

Better teams, better conferences, better players, better everything!

As the competition gets better the best teams are going to get beat whenever they stumble a bit.

Gotta admit. didn't like losing to ND. At the same time I loved the kids busting their butts to be competitive.

Reaction Score
Let's hope not.

I can think of reasons why a good player might want to do this but agree with you that many would not be interested. Some just want to get on with their ultimate career, be it basketball or not. Some may not want to use their full 4 years of eligibility and if they can graduate early from high school and then early from college great.

Foreign players with good academics could do that and then go professional in Europe before they were even eligible for the WNBA. Anna came here and considered the transfer portal but then went the professional route abroad instead.

I don't know Jana's specifics, but coming early was speculated a bit, but I haven't heard anything recently to that regard, and if it was going to happen it seems like time is getting short to make that decision.

Obviously the number of prospects we might be interested in from the mid-season portal, with immediate 2nd semester eligibility would not be large and that window is quickly approaching (Isn't the 15th the deadline?) Geno also generally does not like the idea of pursuing players from that source.

Reaction Score
Bettencourt arrived in late August and gets garbage minutes. (She looks better than that) Unless one of our recruits is a clone of either Bueckers or Fudd I don't see how they could do much except slow down practices.
I'll focus all my prayers on the return of Juhasz and Ducharme to 100% and 4 weeks for Fudd.

Reaction Score
Let's hope not.

That is an asinine response to a serious question. I did think about it, and I am a "fan." I believe Olivia Miles joined ND in the second semester, and that seems to have turned out pretty well. Just because it did not work for Saylor (not "Sailor" btw), doesn't automatically mean it's a stupid idea.
I did not say someone SHOULD do it, just wondering if someone could, and if maybe it would be helpful. We have two highly rated guards coming in (much more highly rated than Saylor was). I would not want someone for "clean up" minutes, but if someone could contribute, why not think about it? We have no guarantee when or even if Azzi will be back. And god forbid we have another injury. Yes, it would take a special player in a special circumstance.
Please try to be a little less condescending in your replies to posts. I am a serious and regular contributor to this board, and I'm pretty sure I know as much about basketball as you do. And while I don't like losing games, I accept that it will happen.
End of rant!

Reaction Score
That is an asinine response to a serious question. I did think about it, and I am a "fan." I believe Olivia Miles joined ND in the second semester, and that seems to have turned out pretty well. Just because it did not work for Saylor (not "Sailor" btw), doesn't automatically mean it's a stupid idea.
I did not say someone SHOULD do it, just wondering if someone could, and if maybe it would be helpful. We have two highly rated guards coming in (much more highly rated than Saylor was). I would not want someone for "clean up" minutes, but if someone could contribute, why not think about it? We have no guarantee when or even if Azzi will be back. And god forbid we have another injury. Yes, it would take a special player in a special circumstance.
Please try to be a little less condescending in your replies to posts. I am a serious and regular contributor to this board, and I'm pretty sure I know as much about basketball as you do. And while I don't like losing games, I accept that it will happen.
End of rant!
The main reason it's not a good idea is because you'd burn an entire year of eligibility just trying to get up to speed and maybe get a few minutes in mop up in Jan/Feb/March. Not a ton of upside to be had by doing it. Geno barely plays the end of the bench that has been with the team since June. He's unlikely to do much with a player that shows up in January.

Reaction Score
The main reason it's not a good idea is because you'd burn an entire year of eligibility just trying to get up to speed and maybe get a few minutes in mop up in Jan/Feb/March. Not a ton of upside to be had by doing it. Geno barely plays the end of the bench that has been with the team since June. He's unlikely to do much with a player that shows up in January.
You certainly do use up eligibility to get up to speed or a head start on next year. Let me throw out our potential situation next year as a reason it could make since for someone like Jana.

If you look at the C position for next year, we do not have any experienced and proven players coming back at that position. We have talented prospects and proven PF's, and we are loaded everywhere else, but all three candidates are projects, Ice and Jana with no game experience and Amari with limited mop up minutes (at least so far).

So unless we rely on more natural PF's, the starting C and principle backup C will either be two freshmen, or one freshmen and Amari. Normally this would not be the case, a freshmen C would have other more experienced players to practice against and learn from and wouldn't need to produce in important minutes right away. The C position often has the biggest adjustment from HS to college as well, since many bigs don't get to play against many similarly sized or skilled opponents.

Jana might be needed for a significant role right from the start next season, so from that standpoint getting experience even if just in practice, and up to speed with the program, could advance her preparation for a role in her first year. I am pretty confident Ice will be relevant from the start, but she is coming off an injury, and Amari so far hasn't shown she is the answer to anything.

Somebody like KK or Ashlynn could come in next year and play some important minutes, but the team has the luxury of bringing them along slowly like an apprentice as well. Our C candidates are not in the same position, we really need two out of three of them ready to go next year to avoid having to play PF's instead.

Reaction Score
You certainly do use up eligibility to get up to speed or a head start on next year. Let me throw out our potential situation next year as a reason it could make since for someone like Jana.

If you look at the C position for next year, we do not have any experienced and proven players coming back at that position. We have talented prospects and proven PF's, and we are loaded everywhere else, but all three candidates are projects, Ice and Jana with no game experience and Amari with limited mop up minutes (at least so far).

So unless we rely on more natural PF's, the starting C and principle backup C will either be two freshmen, or one freshmen and Amari. Normally this would not be the case, a freshmen C would have other more experienced players to practice against and learn from and wouldn't need to produce in important minutes right away. The C position often has the biggest adjustment from HS to college as well, since many bigs don't get to play against many similarly sized or skilled opponents.

Jana might be needed for a significant role right from the start next season, so from that standpoint getting experience even if just in practice, and up to speed with the program, could advance her preparation for a role in her first year. I am pretty confident Ice will be relevant from the start, but she is coming off an injury, and Amari so far hasn't shown she is the answer to anything.

Somebody like KK or Ashlynn could come in next year and play some important minutes, but the team has the luxury of bringing them along slowly like an apprentice as well. Our C candidates are not in the same position, we really need two out of three of them ready to go next year to avoid having to play PF's instead.
Yeah if a player wants to come and just practice that's fine as it wouldn't use any eligibility. I think the original question here was whether or not one or more of the incoming freshman could join early to help out in games where we are short handed. I don't think Geno likes new players coming in the middle of the season though because he says he doesn't have the time to work with people who are starting from the ground floor once the season is underway, and it would slow down the things the team needs to get done in their limited practice time and having someone come in that's effectively 6 months behind everyone else doesn't help.

Reaction Score

There is a HUGE difference between Miles and any of the UConn recruits. To begin, Miles joined ND in the covid year and thus did not give up a year of eligibility. Further, her Blair Academy team had seen its season shut down due to covid so she did not miss out on the fun of a senior year in high school and did not desert her HS teammates in the middle of a season. Saylor's situation was similar, so it made some sense. For a current UConn recruit to join now makes no sense.

Reaction Score
There is a HUGE difference between Miles and any of the UConn recruits. To begin, Miles joined ND in the covid year and thus did not give up a year of eligibility. Further, her Blair Academy team had seen its season shut down due to covid so she did not miss out on the fun of a senior year in high school and did not desert her HS teammates in the middle of a season. Saylor's situation was similar, so it made some sense. For a current UConn recruit to join now makes no sense.
Makes no sense to you... but might make sense to one of them.... you don't know. It was just a floated idea.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom