Another Replacement Guard ? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Another Replacement Guard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nan, I'm not going to argue with your statement, but that is an incredibly un-nice thing to post. Imagine Nika reading your post. I don't see how anyone other than the Deacon can give it a "like".
I respect your posts. But in this case I think you are wrong here/ barking up a wrong tree.

I don’t agree. I gave the Nan post ""a love." And I’m a huge fan of Nika. And I think you have missed the point - maybe I'm wrong- but imo Nan was not denigrating Nika one iota.

I didn’t see it one iota of a knock on Nika and as a result, if Nika were to have read the post would not have even hold even an iota of grief.

Reaction Score
Whatever offensive scheme the coaches come up with, and with whatever replacement strategy, I think the MOST critical element is a point guard that demands double teams and can place the defense on it heels. They don't have to be a Paige like perimeter shooter if they can get to the rim and finish and shoot freethrows. On the current roster...it could be Nika if she gets more aggressive to the rim. It could be Senechal, if she cedes some scoring and becomes a bit more assist conscious. In the latter, I'm intrigued if she can pull it off from the forward position.

Reaction Score
It's true that Anna Makurat may not be eligible, that's why I said that she "could" be eligible and not that she "is" eligible.

From what I understand, Anna played professionally before she played for UConn.
However, amateurs are only allowed to receive actual expenses when playing for a pro team in order to maintain their amateur status.
It's the WNBA that forces players in their draft to declare that they won't be returning to the NCAA.
But there is a process where some pro players can return to the NCAA with penalties such as missing games or repaying money for their pro activities.
It depends on a ruling by the NCAA regarding an athlete's amateur eligibility certification.
The point is that declaring that a players is going pro and becoming a pro are 2 different things.
It appears that professional status in the WNBA is much more formalized.
Some Europeans are pros at 16 years old yet some posters here have talked about them being recruited to attend UConn in the future.
Each case is judged on its own merits and Evina playing in WNBA may not be on the same pro level as every European playing on a pro team.
Previously I wasn't able to find anything about Anna Makurat's professional career in Europe, so I really don't know what she's been doing or how much that she's been paid to play.
I could find her name in a box score of the team that she was supposedly playing for at the time.

NCAA ELIGIBILITY CENTER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS below

https://strose_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/Compliance/Prospective SA/NCAA ELIGIBILITY CENTER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS.pdf
You can play as an amateur in a league with players that are being paid before your college career, even in the United States. Plenty of men's soccer players play in the second and third divisions of professional soccer in the United States before college because amateur players are allowed in those leagues. You are not allowed to play on a team with players being paid after you start college, regardless of whether you are being paid, except for a few very specific exceptions.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Maybe too rosy a view here but I confess to be thrilled that Jamelle is getting a live peek
at both Tilde and Juste. Juste has been described with tons of praise...is she not regarded as one of the best...if not THE
best underclass players in the world? I'm perfectly willing to believe that UConn has had at least some
encouragement from these two. We have a 3 player class thus far from 2023...darn good...but darn good SO FAR.
Do we know...with reasonable certainty [oxymoronish for sure]..the classes for these two?

Hoping to get reports on their play from Boneyarders who can catch the action.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For every "one" you find, I'll find more that left.
So, that was a lot of words. Let me get to your bolded question about iron sharpening iron. Elite athletes typically are worried about searching for the easiest path. If you take a look at some of the recent articles on Donovan Clingan, he talks about going up against Adama Sanogo every day in practice. he fully recognizes that he’s not going to replace Sanogo in the starting lineup. But he realizes that going against him every day is a learning experience and one that will ultimately make him a better player. that’s the mindset of someone looking to become their absolute best version of themselves. It is shared by many elite athletes.

In any event, you asked a question, why would someone come in to a program that already has elite athletes. My answer was to compete against the very best. Whether or not you agree with that mindset, it is a fairly common one.

arch

Reaction Score
I respect your posts. But in this case I think you are wrong here/ barking up a wrong tree.

I don’t agree. I gave the Nan post ""a love." And I’m a huge fan of Nika. And I think you have missed the point - maybe I'm wrong- but imo Nan was not denigrating Nika one iota.

I didn’t see it one iota of a knock on Nika and as a result, if Nika were to have read the post would not have even hold even an iota of grief.
Let me guess. Got a “word of the day” calendar for your birthday?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hey for me – I would love 15 player lineup and all 15 players stay and all of them are A/A caliber and high specialized at things that will make their hoop career rewarding even after they graduate. But that isn’t reality, is it? And minutes being played is a reality for kids too, right? Especially up to and after year 2 for UCONN, isn't it? For every "one" you find, I'll find more that left.
That's quite the straw man you are creating there. Let me quickly take a torch to it. In the past 15 years there have only been four players that were good enough to have earned minutes as part of the regular rotation that have left UCONN. Those four players are Samarie Walker, Brianna Banks, Natalie Butler & Andra Espinosa Hunter-maybe. In those same 15 years UCONN has had significantly more talented transfers into the program including ( Natalie Butler, Azura Stevens, Batouly Camara, Evina Westbrook, & Dorka Juhász). Nothing is broken for UCONN WBB with regards to transfer or different from what is going on at the other top programs like South Carolina. Some players that are not good enough to crack the rotation transfer out and most are replaced by more talented players who can crack the rotation. UCONN WBB is not like Maryland WBB which has AA candidates transferring away from starting positions and playing in excess of 30 minutes per game seemingly every year.

BTW, the last time Geno has a roster of 15 players, Sue Bird was a freshman.

Reaction Score
So, that was a lot of words. Let me get to your bolded question about iron sharpening iron. Elite athletes typically are worried about searching for the easiest path. If you take a look at some of the recent articles on Donovan Clingan, he talks about going up against Adama Sanogo every day in practice. he fully recognizes that he’s not going to replace Sanogo in the starting lineup. But he realizes that going against him every day is a learning experience and one that will ultimately make him a better player. that’s the mindset of someone looking to become their absolute best version of themselves. It is shared by many elite athletes.

In any event, you asked a question, why would someone come in to a program that already has elite athletes. My answer was to compete against the very best. Whether or not you agree with that mindset, it is a fairly common one.
What you said here completely misses my point. You disregarded everything I've said even before my post to you and focused on one sentence that has little to do with my other comments.

1--- I specifically said 1,2 and 3 positions. You are giving me the 4/5 positions. Post players tend to wear down more/have fitness issues/ more apt to have foul trouble issues.

2--- Klinger could also play with Sanogo (whether this year or next and play some decent minutes for a big.). If you are a guard, you are competing with Paige (pre-injury) and Azzi. It's not the same, and before that CWill. Not near it.

3--- I specifically said number 1 ranked recruits. Sanogo is not a number 1 ranked recruit that Klinger is competing with. And if he plays alongside Sanogo, then he is also competing with the other frontcourt player (not another 1 ranked recruit.). Now look at UCONN. When UCONN got Paige, they had CWill, another number 1 ranked recruit. Then when they got Azzi, they have 3 number 1 ranked recruits and by the way, an experienced transfer in Evina that was number 2 but someone mentioned I thought at one time she was number 1 too.

3b: After year 2 with Klinger, his main competition is gone. If you come in the same time as Paige/Azzi you are behind them 3/4 years (prior to this year).

The quality of these recruits have little in common to the men's team. Not meant as a slam. Not to mention that Paige and Azzi are thought to be generational. The men, even the players you bring up, have no comparison here. The bigs for WCBB follow your point. Not the 1/2/3 positions.

I have to say I love your posts on here on the BY, but I apologize for saying this if it sounds bad/mean not my intent; but you changed the entire meaning of my posts by cherry-picking one sentence to disagree with me on without taking the cumulation of the above into account. If you feel I'm too long-winded then don’t read. I mean this with 100% respect to you. But you can't change the meaning of my comment without taking other factors that I wrote into account. Again- not meant to be mean/ condescending one bit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What you said here completely misses my point. You disregarded everything I've said even before my post to you and focused on one sentence that has little to do with my other comments.

1--- I specifically said 1,2 and 3 positions. You are giving me the 4/5 positions. Post players tend to wear down more/have fitness issues/ more apt to have foul trouble issues.

2--- Klinger could also play with Sanogo (whether this year or next and play some decent minutes for a big.). If you are a guard, you are competing with Paige (pre-injury) and Azzi. It's not the same, and before that CWill. Not near it.

3--- I specifically said number 1 ranked recruits. Sanogo is not a number 1 ranked recruit that Klinger is competing with. And if he plays alongside Sanogo, then he is also competing with the other frontcourt player (not another 1 ranked recruit.). Now look at UCONN. When UCONN got Paige, they had CWill, another number 1 ranked recruit. Then when they got Azzi, they have 3 number 1 ranked recruits and by the way, an experienced transfer in Evina that was number 2 but someone mentioned I thought at one time she was number 1 too.

The quality of these recruits have little in common to the men's team. Not meant as a slam. Not to mention that Paige and Azzi are thought to be generational. The men, even the players you bring up, have no comparison here. The bigs for WCBB follow your point. Not the 1/2/3 positions.

I have to say I love your posts on here on the BY, but I apologize for saying this if it sounds bad/mean not my intent; but you changed the entire meaning of my posts by cherry-picking one sentence to disagree with me on without taking the cumulation of the above into account. If you feel I'm too long-winded then don’t read. I mean this with 100% respect to you. But you can't change the meaning of my comment without taking other factors that I wrote into account. Again- not meant to be mean/ condescending one bit.
TL;DR

Reaction Score
That's quite the straw man you are creating there. Let me quickly take a torch to it. In the past 15 years there have only been four players that were good enough to have earned minutes as part of the regular rotation that have left UCONN. Those four players are Samarie Walker, Brianna Banks, Natalie Butler & Andra Espinosa Hunter-maybe. In those same 15 years UCONN has had significantly more talented transfers into the program including ( Natalie Butler, Azura Stevens, Batouly Camara, Evina Westbrook, & Dorka Juhász). Nothing is broken for UCONN WBB with regards to transfer or different from what is going on at the other top programs like South Carolina. Some players that are not good enough to crack the rotation transfer out and most are replaced by more talented players who can crack the rotation. UCONN WBB is not like Maryland WBB which has AA candidates transferring away from starting positions and playing in excess of 30 minutes per game seemingly every year.

BTW, the last time Geno has a roster of 15 players, Sue Bird was a freshman.
I have no idea what you are saying to me here and how this has anything to do with what I said. But I’ll try: Possibly we are agreeing on something? Maybe? For example, where did I suggest anything was “broken?

Secondly, you can say after-the-fact there were only 4 players good enough, but that is “after-the-fact.” Nearly every other kid that transferred out probably doesn’t agree with you that they were “not good enough.” So when they come, they are expecting to eventually play. If UCONN keeps getting number 1 ranked recruits, chances are the number 1 recruits will prove themselves better and reduce their minutes.

Or as I stated they may have realized after year two they weren’t so they transfer out. That’s a potential reason why a bench is weakened, right? SO how is that different than what you’re saying “some players that are not good enough to crack the rotation transfer out and most are replaced by more talented players who can crack the rotation.”????

Who would think they are better than Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd for example?

And why are you bringing up the 15 player roster? I said/implied/inferred within that paragraph that it wasn’t reality, didn’t I? I asked that as a question, but specifically implied it isn’t reality.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nan, I'm not going to argue with your statement, but that is an incredibly un-nice thing to post. Imagine Nika reading your post. I don't see how anyone other than the Deacon can give it a "like".
I'm flattered, I guess, Skeets, to be singled out from amongst the several posters who 'liked' Nan's rationale and pretty much inarguable post.

I appreciate your inclination to defend Nika against attacks, but Nan's post, as with those I've previously written which offended you, are simply our thoughts rather disparaging remarks about the uber-likable Nika.

Reaction Score

I didn't see it as an anti-Nika post. I saw it as an off color post. I believe Darko occasionally visits the BY. I wonder what he thought of the post? I personally would be equally being upset with any Husky blowing out an ACL, regardless of who's knee it was. As far as impacts are concerned, OK, but I'm of the opinion all knees (and therefore all players) are created equal. I think there's a document somewhere that says that, but I could be wrong. I would like Nan to clarify. I'm sure she didn't mean it the way it came across to me.

Reaction Score
I didn't see it as an anti-Nika post. I saw it as an off color post. I believe Darko occasionally visits the BY. I wonder what he thought of the post? I personally would be equally being upset with any Husky blowing out an ACL, regardless of who's knee it was. As far as impacts are concerned, OK, but I'm of the opinion all knees (and therefore all players) are created equal. I think there's a document somewhere that says that, but I could be wrong. I would like Nan to clarify. I'm sure she didn't mean it the way it came across to me.
I don't understand what you're saying here. Whatever.

Reaction Score
I'm flattered, I guess, Skeets, to be singled out from amongst the several posters who 'liked' Nan's rationale and pretty much inarguable post.

I appreciate your inclination to defend Nika against attacks, but Nan's post, as with those I've previously written which offended you, are simply our thoughts rather disparaging remarks about the uber-likable Nika.
You were singled out as a big fan of "serviceable" Nika (Nan's words, not yours or mine) being something other in life than being UConn's go to point guard. Final word. I would not have posted that ANY player would have caused a lot less (Nan's words) angst. I would be upset with any player having such an injury. Impact yes, a lot less, NO.

Reaction Score
I don't understand what you're saying here. Whatever.
Ok. If you have no problem with Nan's statement: "There would be a lot less hand wringing if it had been Nika that had gone down." Then there's nothing more to discuss. I personally find that statement off color, bordering on offensive.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Let's stop this ridiculous nonsense. Paige is the best point guard in the country, so naturally it is a huge blow to everyone who likes to see her play. Now, Nika is our only other point guard, so if she tore up her knee and we still had Paige, we would still be down to one. Everybody on this team is a great player, so losing any of them would hurt us. Unfortunately, we have to play the numbers game like last year so losing Nika would also create a big problem for us. The point that Paige is better than everyone else is a moot point since she is gone for the season. We still have a great team, and supporting the players we have is most important, and singling out one player to compare to Paige is the most ridiculous thing going since she is better than anyone in the world. Let's get on point and rally and appreciate the team that we have. They ALL are valuable.

Reaction Score
What's really going on here is not cherry picking so much as it is selective hearing on your part because you want to pretend Paige didn't really say it or didn't meant it. The reality is that many other people associate with this program have said similar things. Sue Bird, DT, Geno, Bria Hartley, Stewie, Dolson, KML.... Marissa Mosley, Tiffany Hayes ........

Geno on Championship expectations: “It is what it is,” Auriemma said. “We created it, we did it, we own it and we embrace it. And that’s the only way that you can look at it."

I just saw this post. Wish I saw it earlier but oh well;

College is not the pros. There has to be an understanding of this.
Now if you or anyone else thinks any of the following then yes you cherry-picked:

1-- If you were not proud of this past year's team this year and used Paige's and Geno's one line comments as justification, then yes you cherry-picked.. (See youtube comments from Paige at 20 second mark how proud she is, and next video Geno stating at about 59 second mark how incredibly proud he is that his team got there.)
2--- If you believe there is only one trophy in College Basketball then yes you cherry-picked.
3-- If you believe that here is only one goal from Geno (the coach who runs the team), then yes you've cherry-picked.

**Paige is telling you that she can be both "proud and disappointed." So why not post that too instead of just Cherry pick the 1 line of disappointment?

Geno is telling you the same at about the 59 second line. So, just like we can walk and chew gum at the same time, we should also be able to recognize what Geno and Paige are telling us that you can be both proud and yet disappointed. This is not pro ball.

And there are posters who seem to think there is only one trophy in basketball or pretend that there isn't. But for anyone that needs a reality check, there are additional trophies regarding a team along with the National Title.

And I don’t know if I can post articles here - don’t know about copywrite issues but anyone can google article is from womenshoopworld by Sue Favor called "university-of-connecticut-coach-geno-auriemma-on-the-final-four" - Geno clearly says in his opening remark in his 2nd paragraph that since the start of the season a team goal is to make the Final Four.

And from "TheDay" written by Vickie Fulkerson in that article called "no-7-uconn-women-can-clinch-big-east-regular-season-title-wednesday-vs-marquette" - Geno clearly says that a goal for the team over the past 30 plus years is to win their tournament championship.

These are stated team goals too. We can’t just ignore them. Again there has to be an understanding that this is not pro ball.

Reaction Score
Paige is the best point guard in the country in an interesting way. There are quicker point guards, but none who pass as well, and none who finish at the rim, or shoot the midrange pop up jumper, or shoot the 3 better. She’s a great point guard because her skills so far exceed what the position calls for.

And you know what, we have another player with that same skills profile. No one in the country — except Paige — does all those things as well as Azzi. It’s almost a shame to use either of them at the point because each of them so far exceeds the position.

And guess what, we have a third player who comes damn close to the same skills profile. If Caroline were just a step quicker, she’d be a great point guard. But she makes up for it with her length, her shot blocking, her steals. Here too we have a player who it would almost be a shame to make play the point because she can do so much more off the ball.

Reaction Score
To put it another way, my model for the classic point guard is MoJeff — dazzling speed, the quickest first step, an arsenal of finishing moves at the rim, a 3 point shot to force opponents to cover her up close allowing her to blow by them, all of which opens up the passing lanes.

Paige doesn’t have that level of speed, but she has the rest of the package to an even greater degree. From the top of the key, if Paige goes left the entire defense tilts that way, and then she knows how to find the open shooter on the right. If that’s who you are, you can be a great point guard, but you’re probably the greatest shooting guard anywhere. Azzi hasn’t shown us this ability yet, but it’s coming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro