Annual word of caution re First Night | The Boneyard

Annual word of caution re First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
(Get the tar and feathers ready.) Still am not liking this routine of the men and women mixing it up together and am still thinking the risk are not worth the "fun." Still recalling the bizarre First Night stunts that led to significant injury.

LOTS of ways to have an entertaining evening in the venue and send the folks home hyped and contented, so why put a Chong, for example, on the court with a 260 pounder......or a gimpy knee on the floor with same? Recalling with respect and understanding some of the defenses provided last year on this issue, I still would not do it. Way too much at stake.

Reaction Score
They do that everyday in practice with the male practice players, and for real. I think it is even rougher when the starting five goes against the subs. Playing a first night game for show is a piece of cake and fun. Of course an injury can occur while one is sleeping, so...stop worrying and enjoy the show!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
(Get the tar and feathers ready.) Still am not liking this routine of the men and women mixing it up together and am still thinking the risk are not worth the "fun." Still recalling the bizarre First Night stunts that led to significant injury.

LOTS of ways to have an entertaining evening in the venue and send the folks home hyped and contented, so why put a Chong, for example, on the court with a 260 pounder.or a gimpy knee on the floor with same? Recalling with respect and understanding some of the defenses provided last year on this issue, I still would not do it. Way too much at stake.
tar_and_feather.jpg

Reaction Score
They do that everyday in practice with the male practice players, and for real. I think it is even rougher when the starting five goes against the subs. Playing a first night game for show is a piece of cake and fun. Of course an injury can occur while one is sleeping, so...stop worrying and enjoy the show!

GOOD: thanks for the reassurance. BUt, on the other hand, now I won't even be able to go to sleep!

(For what it is worth, I don't think those male practice players that I've seen in person are much like the varsity men.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The bouncy ball race was the pits!!!
The old-time scrimmage when it was separate events for the two teams was a lot of fun. With the combined event ... having the scrimmage is great - it is basketball and not gimmick and the two teams seemed to really enjoy it - I certainly loved watching Moriah v the men's guards. Most basketball injuries have nothing to do with respective weight/strength of the players involved - they are the result of 'awkward' moments and often involve no contact at all. A twisted ankle or worse can happen at any moment on the court or off and the only injury I remember was when the first night involved stupid games that put the athletes in 'awkward' positions in a competitive situation doing something completely unrelated to basketball.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
GOOD: thanks for the reassurance. BUt, on the other hand, now I won't even be able to go to sleep!

(For what it is worth, I don't think those male practice players that I've seen in person are much like the varsity men.)
True enough - NONE of them are like Rakin Lubin. They call him the "rock" and he's built like a proverbial brick $hithouse!

Rakim-Lubin-NS.jpeg

HGN

Reaction Score
This is only the second time UConn has done this format.........And I think its a win-win for everybody. A game is played ; both teams get to have some fun ; The crowd gets a chance to get autographs and pics ; The crowd gets entertained ; and the format makes for as little risk of injury as possible.... It's no more than a glorified scrimmage.

Most of the male players , sort of take it easy , driving in against the women. And the women are not going to hurt the men , physically , when they drive in. The format benefit the women more than the men actually.

There are differences in opinions but I like it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I liked it. It's fun for the players, fun for the fans.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yup. Right as usual. Although, THIS guy don't look like no buford, no matter what his shirt says. I think he may be a fake buford. Anyway, if he sets a pick tonight, I say let it set!!

Y'all have fun. Will be with you in spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom