Anna out indefinitely | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anna out indefinitely

Reaction Score
I'd like to see more of Mir too. I'm not a tactician but it just seems like she brings instant energy and aggressiveness, usually right toward the basket.
I like that Mir comes in looking to score, it seems like she post up every time the team is on offense, but since she can only score down low, sometimes she gets in the way of other players, the lack of a true outside game is the main reason she doesn’t get a tone of minutes IMO.

Reaction Score
I like that Mir comes in looking to score, it seems like she post up every time the team is on offense, but since she can only score down low, sometimes she gets in the way of other players, the lack of a true outside game is the main reason she doesn’t get a tone of minutes IMO.

I think she is combination of too small and too inexperienced. I think with her each year is important to see an evolution, - Anyhow- if UCONN is going to be efficient hitting outside shots then it's possible she'd get more minutes because of blowouts happening that much earlier.

But other than that- if they were hitting outside shots it would mean that some minutes would also be going to "small-ball" with a lineup of Paige, Evina, CWill and Anna. Add to this that Nika needs minutes so some minutes she would play and you still play small ball then add up Mir is 4th on the depth chart between Liv, Griffin and Edwards, --- so how is she going to get more minutes if they were to hit outside shots? You'd look to play the players that are hitting those shots.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Big mea culpa to Anna. Her trying to play through an injury explains a lot (shooting and defense). We just never know, unless they tell us. Upside is minutes for Nika and Mir while she gets healthy.
That's true. Players don't just underperform for no reason. Many times it's due to an injury that isn't public because the player doesn't want to make excuses.

Reaction Score
Anna could have a stress reaction in her right leg.

That sounds like the only thing that it could be. And my orthopedist told me that orthopedists actually don't use the term "stress fracture." To them, a bone fracture is either a "non-displaced fracture," or a "displaced fracture." So what's called a "stress fracture" is actually a bone fracture in which the bone is not displaced.

In other words, it's a bone fracture, and that's bad. Wish her all the best in her recovery. Her family back in Poland must be worried sick. Too bad.

Reaction Score
That sounds like the only thing that it could be. And my orthopedist told me that orthopedists actually don't use the term "stress fracture." To them, a bone fracture is either a "non-displaced fracture," or a "displaced fracture." So what's called a "stress fracture" is actually a bone fracture in which the bone is not displaced.

In other words, it's a bone fracture, and that's bad. Wish her all the best in her recovery. Her family back in Poland must be worried sick. Too bad.

Most stress reactions are NOT fractures. I doubt her injury is a fracture, but time will tell.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Big mea culpa to Anna. Her trying to play through an injury explains a lot (shooting and defense). We just never know, unless they tell us. Upside is minutes for Nika and Mir while she gets healthy.
There are HIPAA laws about keeping a person’s medical information private. UConn/Geno can’t automatically assume they have the player’s permission

Reaction Score
There are HIPAA laws about keeping a person’s medical information private. UConn/Geno can’t automatically assume they have the player’s permission

True, but many colleges ask their players to give permission for the school to share medical info. Btw, under HIPAA, a coach actually is allowed to report what he has observed, as long as it is not information given to him/her by a doctor or other medical professional. Not sure Geno would do that without seeking permission however.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
We don't know what it is. If it was a stress fracture or reaction, I would be surprised they would have her try to play through it. McHale did that with the Celtics, but that was the NBA postseason in the 1980's. Not the early/mid part of 2021 WCBB.

Maybe it is tendonitis. I tried playing through lower leg tendonitis and it is brutal, but you can get on the court and try to tough it out. I found everything to be hard - moving, shooting, jumping. Rest is the cure. It is consistent with what we have seen from her.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I get it. just saying, fans are gonna speculate but we don't know what's going on. A lot of us have been down on Anna. I don't remember anyone saying "maybe she's hurt". And for all the second guessing of Geno that goes on, he's always operating with more information than we are.

Reaction Score
I actually had to give up playing in my mid 50’s due to recurring peroneal tendinitis. Worst pain I ever experienced, excruciating stabs in my outer feet at its worst. I stopped even jogging and became a dedicated walker because of it. Fifteen years later I will still not run a lick except when playing with my young grandchildren. Full disclosure, I turned 70 in November so calling it running may be quite a stretch.

Reaction Score

I'm pretty sure HIPPA does not apply to coaches, only healthcare providers. Geno not disclosing information is only a matter of respect and ethics.

But, I've always been very curious of this. Seems like most injuries/illnesses are reported to media by the coach. I wonder if there is a waiver signed by the players allowing information to be released...perhaps when they enroll?

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure HIPPA does not apply to coaches, only healthcare providers. Geno not disclosing information is only a matter of respect and ethics.

But, I've always been very curious of this. Seems like most injuries/illnesses are reported to media by the coach. I wonder if there is a waiver signed by the players allowing information to be released...perhaps when they enroll?

1. Info that a coach doesn't get from medical personnel can be disclosed - but many coaches won't do it.

2. Many teams get players to sign waivers, allowing at least some medical info to be released.

Reaction Score

Actually HIPPA applies to all University employees

Reaction Score
Could you provide some citations. I am going by a lot of published material such as these:

1. Coaches, schools unsure about HIPAA rules when athletes are injured.

"HIPAA, the reason most cited by coaches for keeping mum, dictates how much information a doctor can tell a third party about a patient's illnesses.

It extends to sports because of the medical relationship between certified athletic trainers and athletes. However, HIPAA doesn't extend to coaches, said Dave Emmert, a lawyer with the Indiana School Board Association, and any administrator who directs a coach otherwise is misreading the law."

2. A Private Matter: HIPPA and your athletic program | Training & Conditioning

"The HIPAA Privacy Rule only applies to “covered entities,” which the act defines as health plans, healthcare clearinghouses, and healthcare providers who transmit information electronically. And even for those entities, the Privacy Rule only governs “covered transactions” involved in the billing process, including requests for payment, certification of referrals, benefits coordination, claims for authorization, eligibility determination, and inquiries into health plan coverage."

3. Top 5 Common HIPAA “Myths” That Arise in Higher Education | Lexology

"HIPAA applies to protected health information received or generated by covered entities in the course of operating a health plan, a health care clearing house, or in the provision of health care services. It does not apply generally to any medical information that may be learned about or observed by employees of a college or university"

Also a number of sports journalists have stated that HIPAA is improperly being used as an excuse for coaches to not divulge injury info. I'd appreciate links that would counter those statements.

Also, back to my original point that there is nothing in HIPAA that prohibits a coach from relating information that he gained by personal observation or directly from the student-athlete. Are there links that say that is not correct?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. Info that a coach doesn't get from medical personnel can be disclosed - but many coaches won't do it.

2. Many teams get players to sign waivers, allowing at least some medical info to be released.

Thank you!

Reaction Score
But this only addresses records - which was the main thrust of both of the laws. Doesn't address a coach speaking about an injury.
Not true. Any information relating to an individual's records, health, behavior, schedule, home conditions, financial status, or employment records are subject to FERPA-- and all university personnel are required to maintain confidentiality under FERPA.

That doesn't mean Geno doesn't have a waiver from students, but absent one, FERPA applies also to health information.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom