Aneesah Morrow to LSU (merged) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Aneesah Morrow to LSU (merged)

Reaction Score
she shot 209 three-pointers last season and made 53 for a shooting percentage of .254......the prior season she took 57 three-pointers and made 13 for a shooting percentage of .228......since she normally shoots well over .500 close to the basket, I'll have no complaints if she shoots mostly threes if and when LSU plays UConn next......
Had this mild argument with Gamecock fans...

how does being more selective make a 25% three point shooter something approaching good?

That seems unlikely. I'm sure productive is on the table though.

Reaction Score
It simply shows she’s trying to develop her shot. I think that was more of her situation. Remember DePaul lost a lot going into last year, and Morrow was the only really good thing going for them. And that offense is a lot of three point shooting, running up and down the court, getting shots up. Im not surprised that their best player just let it fly trying to develop a 3 point shoot cause it creates another level to their game. And even while shooting 25% from 3, she was still unstoppable scoring.

With both Van Lith and Morrow, they were the heartbeats to their teams. They took a lot of shots because they were the best option. When playing Depaul/Louisville, teams main defensive plan was trying to stop Morrow/Van Lith. In addition to that, both DePaul and Louisville had a down year in team quality. Those were not their best teams last year, so you also have to factor that in.

But instead of talking about all their potential “issues”, I want to talk about their strengths. One thing LSU was struggling with last year was shot creation. Morris and Reese (sometimes Johnson) were really the only ones who could creation their own shot. Now LSU has Van Lith, Williams, Johnson, Reese, and Morrow who can all create their own shot when the flow of the offense goes bad. Every team can have points in a game where the offense just isn’t flowing. The ability to create for yourself is one thing this team may be strong at. While saying that, I don’t think this will be one on one type basketball. I am really interested in seeing how Mulkey creates this offense because she has so much talent to work with. At times teams were sending THREE players at Reese because no one else could make a shot. LSU will be begging teams to try that because first Morrow will eat teams alive in the paint and on the glass. Now you can’t strictly game plan to stopping Reese, you have to account for the other shot makers on this roster. Something LSU was desperately needing at times last year.

Secondly, if Im Poole or Poa, everyday I need to be in the gym getting 3s up. That is where their play time will come from. And that is what is needed on this team. If they can develop their shoot from the outside, they will have wide open shots to score points. Book it, they will be battling each other for minutes and whoever is more reliable from 3 will get more minutes. They are both good defenders (Poole is a little better because she’s stronger).

Another underrated aspect of this team is Flaujae Johnson. Van Lith, Reese, Morrow will get a lot of hype because of their draft status and big numbers, but Johnson is a treat. Its like the number 1 incoming class is the appetizer, you’ll get a taste of Williams and Del Rosario, but they won’t get enough shots to be really fulfilling. Then the main course is Van Lith, Reese, and Morrow. The vets with experience. And then for dessert you get Johnson and Smith. That added happy feeling when you think you don’t have anymore room for food, but then that little “I need something sweet…” comes lol. They weren’t as highly ranked as this year’s class, but they were good as freshmen. Smith came on late, but Johnson was called on from Day 1. Teams are gonna be so focused on Reese, Van Lith, and Morrow, they may forget about Johnson or not put as much emphasis on her. But she is a dawg, she’s gonna play hard, she can score off the dribble and shoot, and play defense. With Smith down low who can rebound well and block shots with size off the bench.

This LSU team will be fascinating and box office. When LSU plays on ESPN, people WILL watch. The personalities, the talent, its exciting. Embrace it. Uconn has its way, RATINGS. South Carolina has its way, RATINGS. And LSU has its way, RATINGSSSSSS once again. All three of these teams do it differently. That doesn’t make one better than the other. All excellent teams. LSU is no lock to win the championship. AND THATS GREAT. Even after adding Van Lith and Morrow, there’s still enough talent to go around and to say, “yeah they can be beat”. Casuals will say “oh its like that KD Warriors”, when we all know that’s not true. But aye THEY’RE WATCHING. It brings eyes to our game and that should be celebrated. Because then the casuals will want to watch and they’ll learn about the West Coast talent in UCLA, Utah, and Stanford. Watch the battles in the Big10 with Indiana, Iowa, Ohio State, and Maryland. Those ACC teams in Virginia Tech, Duke, and Notre Dame. Its grows our game, gives exposure to players who people might not even know yet. Such as Latson (FSU), Phelia (who I think will be a rockstar), the young kids at USC, and all the other great players our game have to offer.

All I know is the stock of our game is going UP. And that’s all we ever wanted.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You can't blame the girls for wanting the Nil money. They don't get paid well in the WNBA and some of the Overseas money is gone, such as Russia and China who paid the best. Taking a 5th year if it is option only makes sense with the Nil money being better than the WBNA.
How the players will gel will be a testimony to Kim and themselves to do what is best for the team versus the brand they have. My take on the big three for LSU is
1. Hailey Van Lith is not now or never been a pass first point guard. She is a scorer first and always right now. It is in her interest to learn to play some point as she will never make as a 2guard in the Pros.
2.Angel Reese game will not help her in the WNBA. She is 6'3" who has no outside shot. Her game is totally put backs and an underhand scoop shot. Against good 6'5" players in the paint she will struggle unless she starts to move outside to the SF position.
3. Morrow last year was trying to transition to a SF position by trying to shoot 3 pointers. She was not very successful. She is most successful when bulling her way to the basket against small centers. That position is taken by Reese right now.

They might be able to figure some kind of offense from players not really sure of where they will score from but it is worth watching for sure and commenting on the First Super NIL team.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
As good as LSU is Reese Morrow and Van Lith are not better as a group then Paige Azzi and Aaliyah. IMO that is the difference. The question mark for UConn is stay healthy and the question mark for LSU is how will team chemistry play out.

Reaction Score
As good as LSU is Reese Morrow and Van Lith are not better as a group then Paige Azzi and Aaliyah. IMO that is the difference. The question mark for UConn is stay healthy and the question mark for LSU is how will team chemistry play out.
It's an interesting question. Reese vs Paige, Hailey Van Lith vs Azzi, Morrow vs AE. I feel like Reese and Paige were 1 and 2 in their high school class so it's always been close. Reese averaged a double double, won a natty, and to me is a bit underrated defensively. Paige is Paige, but she is coming off her second big injury (though I'm pretty confident she'll bounce back).
Hailey Van Lith vs Azzi just based on last year seems a bit close as well. Azzi started the season super hot but injuries caught up with her. Still she was very good in their second round game vs Baylor and lead UConn to the sweet 16. Hailey Van Lith carried a limited Louisville team to the elite 8. Azzi's shooting ability vs HVLs ability to create for herself, especially in crucial moments is tough call for me.
Morrow's numbers her first two years are as good as anyone in the country. Her first time she played UConn she had 30 and 14 and only lost by 2. Even this year she had 25 and 8 on 47 percent shooting and the team lost by 3. Don't get me wrong I remember thinking Aaliyah outplayed her the last couple times they matched up. I also think Aaliyah finally got to play in a role where she had a lot of opportunities last year. Also AE defensively is really good. Id choose UConn as well but I'm pretty biased.

LSUAlum96

Loooooong Time Lady Tigers Fan
Reaction Score
It simply shows she’s trying to develop her shot. I think that was more of her situation. Remember DePaul lost a lot going into last year, and Morrow was the only really good thing going for them. And that offense is a lot of three point shooting, running up and down the court, getting shots up. Im not surprised that their best player just let it fly trying to develop a 3 point shoot cause it creates another level to their game. And even while shooting 25% from 3, she was still unstoppable scoring.

With both Van Lith and Morrow, they were the heartbeats to their teams. They took a lot of shots because they were the best option. When playing Depaul/Louisville, teams main defensive plan was trying to stop Morrow/Van Lith. In addition to that, both DePaul and Louisville had a down year in team quality. Those were not their best teams last year, so you also have to factor that in.

But instead of talking about all their potential “issues”, I want to talk about their strengths. One thing LSU was struggling with last year was shot creation. Morris and Reese (sometimes Johnson) were really the only ones who could creation their own shot. Now LSU has Van Lith, Williams, Johnson, Reese, and Morrow who can all create their own shot when the flow of the offense goes bad. Every team can have points in a game where the offense just isn’t flowing. The ability to create for yourself is one thing this team may be strong at. While saying that, I don’t think this will be one on one type basketball. I am really interested in seeing how Mulkey creates this offense because she has so much talent to work with. At times teams were sending THREE players at Reese because no one else could make a shot. LSU will be begging teams to try that because first Morrow will eat teams alive in the paint and on the glass. Now you can’t strictly game plan to stopping Reese, you have to account for the other shot makers on this roster. Something LSU was desperately needing at times last year.

Secondly, if Im Poole or Poa, everyday I need to be in the gym getting 3s up. That is where their play time will come from. And that is what is needed on this team. If they can develop their shoot from the outside, they will have wide open shots to score points. Book it, they will be battling each other for minutes and whoever is more reliable from 3 will get more minutes. They are both good defenders (Poole is a little better because she’s stronger).

Another underrated aspect of this team is Flaujae Johnson. Van Lith, Reese, Morrow will get a lot of hype because of their draft status and big numbers, but Johnson is a treat. Its like the number 1 incoming class is the appetizer, you’ll get a taste of Williams and Del Rosario, but they won’t get enough shots to be really fulfilling. Then the main course is Van Lith, Reese, and Morrow. The vets with experience. And then for dessert you get Johnson and Smith. That added happy feeling when you think you don’t have anymore room for food, but then that little “I need something sweet…” comes lol. They weren’t as highly ranked as this year’s class, but they were good as freshmen. Smith came on late, but Johnson was called on from Day 1. Teams are gonna be so focused on Reese, Van Lith, and Morrow, they may forget about Johnson or not put as much emphasis on her. But she is a dawg, she’s gonna play hard, she can score off the dribble and shoot, and play defense. With Smith down low who can rebound well and block shots with size off the bench.

This LSU team will be fascinating and box office. When LSU plays on ESPN, people WILL watch. The personalities, the talent, its exciting. Embrace it. Uconn has its way, RATINGS. South Carolina has its way, RATINGS. And LSU has its way, RATINGSSSSSS once again. All three of these teams do it differently. That doesn’t make one better than the other. All excellent teams. LSU is no lock to win the championship. AND THATS GREAT. Even after adding Van Lith and Morrow, there’s still enough talent to go around and to say, “yeah they can be beat”. Casuals will say “oh its like that KD Warriors”, when we all know that’s not true. But aye THEY’RE WATCHING. It brings eyes to our game and that should be celebrated. Because then the casuals will want to watch and they’ll learn about the West Coast talent in UCLA, Utah, and Stanford. Watch the battles in the Big10 with Indiana, Iowa, Ohio State, and Maryland. Those ACC teams in Virginia Tech, Duke, and Notre Dame. Its grows our game, gives exposure to players who people might not even know yet. Such as Latson (FSU), Phelia (who I think will be a rockstar), the young kids at USC, and all the other great players our game have to offer.

All I know is the stock of our game is going UP. And that’s all we ever wanted.
Could not have said it better myself!

Let me also add that Kateri Poole is already a pretty efficient three point shooter at 45% this past season. But, I would imagine she's going to get a LOT more looks from three this coming season and she'll have to knock those down. If she does, she's going to get a LOT of playing time, just like at the end of this past season.

Reaction Score
Like all your writeups, but the big question with Paige and Azzi, neither one of them has been able to stay healthy.
They both have to get through a full season, and hopefully they will.
But right now you can't count on either of them.
Uconn still will be in the hunt.
I agree. I think we UCONN fans have taken too many blows to the face, two years in a row. We are dazed ( many of us ) and unable to picture a team with Paige and Azii , Brady and Caroline all healthy. We never used to worry , for example, when Stewy was leading us to 4 straight championships. But that ship has sailed. Now, I more or less assume injuries will take down too many of our engines. Hopefully, I wont feel that way when the bell rings.

Reaction Score
I agree. I think we UCONN fans have taken too many blows to the face, two years in a row. We are dazed ( many of us ) and unable to picture a team with Paige and Azii , Brady and Caroline all healthy. We never used to worry , for example, when Stewy was leading us to 4 straight championships. But that ship has sailed. Now, I more or less assume injuries will take down too many of our engines. Hopefully, I wont feel that way when the bell rings.
Actually Tuck missed a full year, and KML, had an injury, in the 2013-2014 season which bothered her a few games.
But Uconn had players coming off the bench who could start.
And Stewie keeps proving how special she was since turning professional.

Reaction Score
You can't blame the girls for wanting the Nil money. They don't get paid well in the WNBA and some of the Overseas money is gone, such as Russia and China who paid the best. Taking a 5th year if it is option only makes sense with the Nil money being better than the WBNA.
How the players will gel will be a testimony to Kim and themselves to do what is best for the team versus the brand they have. My take on the big three for LSU is
1. Hailey Van Lith is not now or never been a pass first point guard. She is a scorer first and always right now. It is in her interest to learn to play some point as she will never make as a 2guard in the Pros.
2.Angel Reese game will not help her in the WNBA. She is 6'3" who has no outside shot. Her game is totally put backs and an underhand scoop shot. Against good 6'5" players in the paint she will struggle unless she starts to move outside to the SF position.
3. Morrow last year was trying to transition to a SF position by trying to shoot 3 pointers. She was not very successful. She is most successful when bulling her way to the basket against small centers. That position is taken by Reese right now.

They might be able to figure some kind of offense from players not really sure of where they will score from but it is worth watching for sure and commenting on the First Super NIL team.
I’m tired of hearing people say they don’t get paid much in the WNBA. That’s certainly true if you’re comparing to the NBA. But I believe most players in the W make $100-$200K for less than 1/2 a year’s work. That’s prettgood money in my book!

Reaction Score
I’m tired of hearing people say they don’t get paid much in the WNBA. That’s certainly true if you’re comparing to the NBA. But I believe most players in the W make $100-$200K for less than 1/2 a year’s work. That’s prettgood money in my book!

That number is more top end players. Don't think that's the standard for most players in the league. Plus, once you factor agent fees and taxes, how much is left over?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
That number is more top end players. Don't think that's the standard for most players in the league. Plus, once you factor agent fees and taxes, how much is left over?
Yep. Then factor in temporary living expenses, as I'm guessing many players won't want to sign a full year lease. Then transportation, etc, etc. Although grossing $68-74k for 4-5 months seems like a good gig, players still need $$$ to fund expenses for the remaining 7-8 months.

Per the article attached: Picks 1-4 will make a base salary of $74,305 in their first year. Picks 5-8 will receive a base salary of $71,300 and picks 9-12 will receive $68,295

Reaction Score
Yep. Then factor in temporary living expenses, as I'm guessing many players won't want to sign a full year lease. Then transportation, etc, etc. Although grossing $68-74k for 4-5 months seems like a good gig, players still need $$$ to fund expenses for the remaining 7-8 months.

Per the article attached: Picks 1-4 will make a base salary of $74,305 in their first year. Picks 5-8 will receive a base salary of $71,300 and picks 9-12 will receive $68,295

If 1st year players make $70-75k than most must make over $100k. And I assume most players make something in the “offseason” - with many making more than their salary in the W. I still say they make a decent wage. Everyone pays taxes. I didn’t think of the agent’s cut though. Wonder how much that is?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If 1st year players make $70-75k than most must make over $100k. And I assume most players make something in the “offseason” - with many making more than their salary in the W. I still say they make a decent wage. Everyone pays taxes. I didn’t think of the agent’s cut though. Wonder how much that is?
Here's a list of salaries:

Once you're out of your rookie contract, 100k-200k is standard for the 4-5 month season. It's a far cry from what NBA players make but compared to the average working American it's a pretty great gig.

Reaction Score

Aneesah Morrow talking too much imo. You ain't in the big east no more. 6'1 post in the SEC....

Reaction Score

Aneesah Morrow talking too much imo. You ain't in the big east no more. 6'1 post in the SEC....

That tweet reads like that Dawn Staley's words... not Morrows. Emily quoted a line in her convo with Dawn in Destin.

And Dawn is 100% spot on, I personally always like being the last visit but I've seen countless times in recruiting when someone cancels their other visits because the current visit to another program feels perfect for them. Its all a potential risk, you can be swayed by the earlier visit or the last visit leaves the biggest and most recent impression.

Also I'm not buying 6'1 she can't be successful in the SEC. She could fail but that won't be why. LSU had a 6'0 forward a few years ago, Ayanna Mitchell who actually earned all SEC and was highly successful in conference play. Morrow is at least more versatile than her and will have a way better supporting cast than Mitchell ever did

Reaction Score
That tweet reads like that Dawn Staley's words... not Morrows. Emily quoted a line in her convo with Dawn in Destin.

And Dawn is 100% spot on, I personally always like being the last visit but I've seen countless times in recruiting when someone cancels their other visits because the current visit to another program feels perfect for them. Its all a potential risk, you can be swayed by the earlier visit or the last visit leaves the biggest and most recent impression.

Also I'm not buying 6'1 she can't be successful in the SEC. She could fail but that won't be why. LSU had a 6'0 forward a few years ago, Ayanna Mitchell who actually earned all SEC and was highly successful in conference play. Morrow is at least more versatile than her and will have a way better supporting cast than Mitchell ever did
You gotta have alot of 'Dawg' in you to be a undersized post in the SEC. I'm just saying...

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score

Reread the tweet....she said she was talking to Dawn....so therefore the quote is from Dawn.

Reaction Score
So what does a player like Paige get in NIL. Can a woman earn more in college than the WNBA now.

Reaction Score
I can't believe that it was only the beginning of this month when she committed. Feels like months ago. Portal season was a lot of fun.

Reaction Score
So what does a player like Paige get in NIL. Can a woman earn more in college than the WNBA now.
1). Really depends on the NIL deal.

2). Possible but not likely for some players. Just depends on the player and the structure of their NIL deal. Some players who will never make it to the WNBA could earn more in college and there will be players who will make more in the WNBA vs college.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom