Amusement Park and Rides | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Amusement Park and Rides

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I still really love water parks and that's our families' go to, traction park is the inspiration. Water Wizz in Wareham MA is an underrated low-key fun day (we were there 8/31), went to another decent off brand park in Maine a few years ago that had one or two fun 'drop slides', Volcano Bay is favorite thus far.
I agree, that was the first time I had seen any kind of water park, and it would be years until I saw another one. I’ll never forget the feeling of dropping out of that tube, blind, around 10 feet above the water; or getting serious air while racing each other down the water slide with the mats—so much so that I got the wind knocked out of me when I landed.

I still love water parks and we’ve definitely found some with decent thrills, but the sheer novelty and ridiculous level of danger made Action Park tough to top.

Reaction Score
I agree, that was the first time I had seen any kind of water park, and it would be years until I saw another one. I’ll never forget the feeling of dropping out of that tube, blind, around 10 feet above the water; or getting serious air while racing each other down the water slide with the mats—so much so that I got the wind knocked out of me when I landed.

I still love water parks and we’ve definitely found some with decent thrills, but the sheer novelty and ridiculous level of danger made Action Park tough to top.
1000% - first time I went into that same tube, no idea what would happen, dark tunnel sudden sharp turn and then tossed into the air might be the best ride I've ever been on. I think my kids get those same thrills at the new parks, the drop slides are actually more extreme, just safer and they don't know it could be better when part of the thrill was a much higher risk of injury.

Splashtown USA in Saco ME is the water park I was thinking of. the Triton's Twist & Poseidon's Plunge dropslides were very similar to something you'd see at traction park back in the day.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
1000% - first time I went into that same tube, no idea what would happen, dark tunnel sudden sharp turn and then tossed into the air might be the best ride I've ever been on. I think my kids get those same thrills at the new parks, the drop slides are actually more extreme, just safer and they don't know it could be better when part of the thrill was a much higher risk of injury.

Splashtown USA in Saco ME is the water park I was thinking of. the Triton's Twist & Poseidon's Plunge dropslides were very similar to something you'd see at traction park back in the day.

They have one at Great Wolf Lodge New England (Wolf Tail). The suspense during the countdown is terrible. The first two seconds when the floor drops is exhilarating, but then it just becomes a regular tunneled water slide.

I did it for the first time about 3 years ago. My then 6 YO joined me this past January. It's a great ride.

Reaction Score
They have one at Great Wolf Lodge New England (Wolf Tail). The suspense during the countdown is terrible. The first two seconds when the floor drops is exhilarating, but then it just becomes a regular tunneled water slide.

I did it for the first time about 3 years ago. My then 6 YO joined me this past January. It's a great ride.
What I liked about Volcano Bay is they play this really intense bongo drum heavy music before the floor drops so it helps get you fired up for the experience. Much better than others with either a countdown or stone cold silence and a buzzer pre-floor drop or just a super loud bang.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Obviously I would like her to survive, but it would make the court packing decision easier if the court was 6-3.

What I liked about Volcano Bay is they play this really intense bongo drum heavy music before the floor drops so it helps get you fired up for the experience. Much better than others with either a countdown or stone cold silence and a buzzer pre-floor drop or just a super loud bang.
On a somewhat related note, my favorite rides tend to be the ones that confound expectations, especially at the beginning of the ride. I have yet to have a chance to ride some of the newer, crazier roller coasters because we haven't been to those parks yet, but one of my favorites remains the Rock-n-Roller Coaster at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Whereas most roller coasters start you out slow, this one shoots you straight into the air with G-forces that are apparently something like 4x greater than those experienced by astronauts during lift-off. It's so unexpected and exhilarating every time that the rest of the ride--including several flips and corkscrew turns--seems like a breeze by comparison and it's over before you know it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
GWL plays a wolf howl behind the countdown.

Truth be told, the anticipation becomes less intense the more you do it. Must be how football opponents felt in Diaco's first year when they replaced Welcome to the Jungle) before they'd convert on 3rd and 3 anyway (when a 3 pointer was taken in '16-'18.).

Still a good time.

Reaction Score
With the exception of Lake Compounce, I have never been to a water park that I did not at least find enjoyable, but you have to be careful. Water parks can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Have to wash up thoroughly afterwards. We went to both sides of LC at the end of July and I found the water park to be dirty, overcrowded with inconsiderate people, and the slides weren't as fun as say the Ocean City (NJ) Boardwalk Waterpark that we went to 2 weeks later.

Also really like Great Wolf Lodge in Fitchburg MA. Been there twice. It's a reasonable (but somewhat expensive) way to break up the winter. OTOH, the cost appears more reasonable if you itemize the weekend (3 days water park, 2 nights hotel for 2 adults and 2 kids).

My favorite water park is/was Water Country in New Hampshire, but that was about 30 years ago. It's been through a few owners since then.
Years ago took my kids to Disney World. The most fun we had was at River Country.

Reaction Score
None. I have a healthy fear of rides that are assembled by guys living out of automobiles. I don't want my obit to being with "He died when the tilt a whirl malfunctioned and he was flung 100 yards into the fried dough tent where he was killed on impact."
Come on now, you've graduated from this:

Reaction Score
1) Universal Orlando
2) Busch Gardens Williamsburg
3) Busch Gardens Tampa
4) Epcot

Coasters make life better.

Reaction Score
As a kid, my favorite was Action Park (also called "Traction" Park) in NJ. We'd go twice per summer with my camp, and with all of the casualties there, I'm surprised we never had any. We did leave a kid up there once and the camp director (who was just a college kid) said, and I quote, "I went with 125 kids, I came back with 124, that's an A in any class."

Was and still am not a big fan of roller-coasters due to a strong dislike of open-air heights (I still have no idea how I managed to hike up Skelling Micheal last summer) and my stomach can only take so much spinning abuse. That said, Action (Traction, Class Action, etc.) was a blast. I had that 'crazy' uncle that every family has who took the 5 of us (I had 4 male cousins in my family and were we just 3 years apart) at least twice a summer to it from the Valley in the '80's. I never got a shot at the loop water slide (lucky me); but, tried everything else. The attendants were all college kids that were too drunk or stoned or too busy chasing girls to pay attention to us or the rules. It was a Wild-Wild-West atmosphere where everything goes. At the end of the day, we would pile into the old station wagon leaking blood from bloody noses from collisions with other riders, friction burns from concrete and plastic, cuts from who knows what was sticking out from where, bruises from everything else, and eyes full of appreciating the opposite gender whose bikini-tops often made it down the various rides by themselves. None of us shared what actually happened on those trips with our Moms as we would not be allowed to go back. It was awesome. One did not go to Action Park, one survived it. It was a coming-of-age ritual.

Reaction Score
I used to enjoy that too, until that time when the one at Rye Playland sent a car into the parking lot.

I cannot find a source on this, but I recall it was either late 60s or early 70s and it was an empty car done as part of a test or regular maintenance so nobody was hurt. The ride was shut down for a considerable period.

And that was the same Wild Mouse that Rye Playland sold to Quassy.

I remember a roller-coaster at Quassy that was not scary in and of itself; but, the things bounced and creaked so much that I swore it was going to collapse at any moment, especially on the ride's sharp right-turn. Can't remember the name of the ride. Maybe that was it? I graduated from Quassy to Compounce when I was in High School with periodic runs up to Riverside (no Six Flags)

Reaction Score
With the exception of Lake Compounce, I have never been to a water park that I did not at least find enjoyable, but you have to be careful. Water parks can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Have to wash up thoroughly afterwards. We went to both sides of LC at the end of July and I found the water park to be dirty, overcrowded with inconsiderate people, and the slides weren't as fun as say the Ocean City (NJ) Boardwalk Waterpark that we went to 2 weeks later.

Also really like Great Wolf Lodge in Fitchburg MA. Been there twice. It's a reasonable (but somewhat expensive) way to break up the winter. OTOH, the cost appears more reasonable if you itemize the weekend (3 days water park, 2 nights hotel for 2 adults and 2 kids).

My favorite water park is/was Water Country in New Hampshire, but that was about 30 years ago. It's been through a few owners since then.

In the '90's, Lake Compunce's water park was meh; but, it was 10 minutes away from my house and all the hot firls from my high school went there, so I went to. have not been back in decades. I did go to Wildwood a few years back and had a blast at Morey's Pier. The water park was good and the under the pier go-kart track was cool. I looked at going to Great Wolf in the Poconos (PA) a few years back; but it was crazy expensive over school vacation week in April, so we went to a dude ranch in Arizona instead (at nearly the same cost). Great Wolf maybe a bit cheaper now in the Poconos since Camelback opened Aquatopia followed by Kalahari.

Reaction Score
Kennywood in Pittsburgh. They had a ride called "The Bullet". Shaped like a bullet you propelled up and down in a circle while, at the same time, the area you were encapsulated in revolved in a circle. When you got out the world was spinning and if you were smart you made sure you got on with an empty stomach..

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Kennywood in Pittsburgh. They had a ride called "The Bullet". Shaped like a bullet you propelled up and down in a circle while, at the same time, the area you were encapsulated in revolved in a circle. When you got out the world was spinning and if you were smart you made sure you got on with an empty stomach..
Loved this ride as a kid.

1571787883386.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom