American Gods | The Boneyard

American Gods

Reaction Score
I've been watching it from the beginning. And it has held my interest. Ian McShane is always good and he plays a strong character here. The basic plot line is old Gods like Egyptian and Norse Gods walk among us today as do new Gods like media and the internet. They are headed for a conflict. Every now an again an episode will be devoted to how a certain God came to America with an immigrant group.

It has enough twists and turns to stay surprising. It follows a human as he traverses the country with one of the old Gods. One of the best characters is Pablo Schreiber as a 6'5" leprechaun.

Anyone else following this? They are currently in season three so it would make a good binge.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Read the book. Neil Gaiman is always better in book form (or comic book).

I watched the first two seasons. Didn't know the third was out. I think they did a pretty good job, with a few complaints. McShane, Whittle and Schreiber are good. Browning is creepy.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Read the book. Neil Gaiman is always better in book form (or comic book).
At least one exception. I loved the movie version of "Stardust." The book was fairly meh.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
At least one exception. I loved the movie version of "Stardust." The book was fairly meh.

I enjoyed the book quite a bit, but agree that's the best movie so far, with one horrific choice. Claire Danes was an awful choice. But DeNiro....that was just priceless. The whole cast was incredible, except Claire Danes. Sarah Michelle Gellar turned it down, and would have been better.

@Palatine did you watch Neverwhere? Or read it?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I enjoyed the book quite a bit, but agree that's the best movie so far, with one horrific choice. Claire Danes was an awful choice. But DeNiro....that was just priceless. The whole cast was incredible, except Claire Danes. Sarah Michelle Gellar turned it down, and would have been better.

Huh. I liked Danes.

I didn't realize Neverwhere was adapted. I enjoyed reading that quite a bit.

Reaction Score

I tend to shy away from fantasy in my reading. I do like hard science fiction that is at least somewhat in the realm of possibility. Lately I have become more focused on history. I just read a compilation of sources on Columbus including his log books that is woven into a storyline of his four voyages.

So I I never read Neverwhere. But I will watch any action movie be it fantasy, horror, comic book, etc, that has a lot of explosions. And usually love it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I tend to shy away from fantasy in my reading. I do like hard science fiction that is at least somewhat in the realm of possibility. Lately I have become more focused on history. I just read a compilation of sources on Columbus including his log books that is woven into a storyline of his four voyages.

So I I never read Neverwhere. But I will watch any action movie be it fantasy, horror, comic book, etc, that has a lot of explosions. And usually love it.

Neil Gaiman is one of the smartest authors you’ll ever read. So while it is “fantasy” it is going to weave in stories, history and myths and an astonishing knowledge of all sorts of things. His Sandman graphic novels were brilliant and there were connections and hidden references throughout.

Neverwhere is funny and a great story. Highly recommended. Joint tale with Terry Pratchet.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
. Neil Gaiman is always better in book form (or comic book).
I just saw an article talking about a live action adaptation of Sandman that Netflix is developing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Season 1 was really good. Season 2 had moments but was a bit of a mess overall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom