Amari Playing Time | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Amari Playing Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
According to the Box Score, Our tallest player available tonight played 26 minutes and had zero rebounds. Geno gave her the minutes instead of AP. Not sure if that opportunity comes again unless the injury plagued roster gives him no choice.
She would have played at least 20 after AP fouled out anyway.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
There were times when Amari posted up and had her man on her hip but did not get the ball. Amari has post player size but a guard's mentality Every tall player is not suited to play the low post.

Reaction Score
I am almost certain coaching staff has worked with Amari concerning her need to improve her post play. There are drills available for all positions that aid players to improve their skills to become better players.
Unfortunately some individuals just don’t get it, no matter how many times drills are performed.
I also do not understand why the coaching staff allowed her to remain outside the normal post position during this game. She should have been told that if she doesn’t play the post, she will be back on the bench.
Or is she capable of playing a wing since she seems to have a decent shooter touch.
Can she put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket?
Can she defend an opposing wing player?
Have our coaches explored other position possibilities besides a post player?
Just sometimes we are putting a round peg in a square hole.
I hope we do not give up on her before all possibilities are explored.
However, zero rebounds in about 20 minutes is unacceptable and if a solution to make her more productive cannot be found then her minutes will disappear.
Another thought, maybe a sport’s professional counselor could isolate and resolve whatever problem she has that is impeding her basketball growth.
I hope a solution can be found to help Amari to become a positive contributor for our Women’s team; we are in somewhat desperate straits with all of our unfortunate
injuries.
Ciao

Reaction Score
Especially when she started off down there, got a couple buckets...then stayed away.
So why don’t the coaches explain to her she could score at will and own the game if she plants herself there.

Reaction Score
She would have played at least 20 after AP fouled out anyway.
Amari had her moments. She played well in the first quarter with several layups made. Held the ball up high. Looked very good. The speed of this game seemed to get to her later. The entire team didn't set up for rebounds except for defense. We were out rebounded on offense. Rebounds are about desire and block-outs. Speed was lacking after Nika went down. The most rebounds were gathered in by Griffin on both ends. She was active in the UConn tradition.

Nika's injury started when she attempted to rebound and was backed down then hit by a player's knee. Nika's desire and speed usually results in her getting a number of bounds or loose balls.
When Amari played at the top of the key she is out of position for rebounding. Hope our bigs coaches reinforce their need to keep the ball high and pass from that position. The passes into the high post position on offense were much too soft and Amari didn't come to the ball as we were taught in HS. She also telegraphs her passing intensions.

Our 6'3" player, Edwards was tried up repeatedly when she quickly brought the ball down to waist height inviting a quick double time and loss of position at several points late in this game.

With so many players out of their normal position and not used to playing quality minutes together, one wonders why we didn't play zone for more minutes. This might have prevented the easy inside looks and many trips to the foul line that playing our man to man resulted in.

Reaction Score
So why don’t the coaches explain to her she could score at will and own the game if she plants herself there.
Yes, they should have played Amari inside more and need to press the shooting button when she does. On several late game possessions, she passed out to the corner instead of laying the ball in the hoop. We seemed pass happy and lacked the scoring instinct running the clock down and fumbling away an opportunity.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
8,000+ views of this thread in 3 days. Very impressive. It shows that UConn fans ARE very interested in Amari and her possible contribution to the team.
I think all of us see the potential she possesses and are anxious to see potential Amari dominate.

sun

Reaction Score
To me it seems that Edwards is the primary rebounder and Amari is focusing on playing defense, blocking & disrupting shots & passes, with her hands up or in player's faces.
On offense she is more of a facilitator.
Her height increases her vision & gives her better passing angles over other players.
There's different ways of doing things and the coaches must have shown her how they want her to play.
She moves around a lot and 2 or 3 steps can cover a lot of ground quickly.
Amari's long reach seems to be effective & put to good use.
But she should become a better mid range scorer from anywhere around the key.
Since Aubrey & Lou had the hot hands, Amari passing the ball off worked well against Princeton.

She had 2 of only 5 steals and 1 of 4 blocks for UConn with 2 assists.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How can a 6'5" forward expect to get any PT time after playing 26 minutes without a single rebound? Even Ines had one in her 9 minutes.
With the team in a desperate "all hands on deck" mode, giving it their all, her passive play in this game was very disappointing. Her off-the-floor demeanor suggests she enjoys being on the team. It's time for her to show that on the floor..

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Whatever gave you that idea?
She's majoring in sign language and could probably talk for many hours by using her hands.
As you can see Amari can palm the basketball.

View attachment 81556
If this basketball thing doesn’t work out, maybe she can audition to be the next Spider-Man?

Reaction Score
Hilarious thread, morphed very quickly from “why isn’t DeBerry playing” to “why is DeBerry playing” in a heartbeat. It was one game, in fact, her first game…

Reaction Score
How can a 6'5" forward expect to get any PT time after playing 26 minutes without a single rebound? Even Ines had one in her 9 minutes.
With the team in a desperate "all hands on deck" mode, giving it their all, her passive play in this game was very disappointing. Her off-the-floor demeanor suggests she enjoys being on the team. It's time for her to show that on the floor..
A bit unfair there............while she's never going to be a banger on the boards, I watched the game and there were not that many opportunities for her to grab rebounds as Griffin or Edwards were often in better positions ........,sometimes the ball bounces your way and sometimes it doesn't..........she had seven rebounds in thirteen minutes against Providence..........if she's not capable of rebounding exactly how did that happen?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A bit unfair there............while she's never going to be a banger on the boards, I watched the game and there were not that many opportunities for her to grab rebounds as Griffin or Edwards were often in better positions ........,sometimes the ball bounces your way and sometimes it doesn't..........she had seven rebounds in thirteen minutes against Providence..........if she's not capable of rebounding exactly how did that happen?

groaning d&d GIF by Hyper RPG

Simple: Against Providence Amari worked to get herself in good rebounding position and against Princeton she did not.
"Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way" ? Anticipating the bounce of the ball and working your behind off to get it is what is required here. How do you think Griffin or Edwards happen to be in better rebounding position so often?

Reaction Score
Amari reminds me of a very young Lou Samuels. Samuels didnt do much rebounding at first but she came around to being a all around player instead of just a 3 point shooter. Lets hope Amari becomes that sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
groaning d&d GIF by Hyper RPG

Simple: Against Providence Amari worked to get herself in good rebounding position and against Princeton she did not.
"Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way" ? Anticipating the bounce of the ball and working your behind off to get it is what is required here. How do you think Griffin or Edwards happen to be in better rebounding position so often?
so she is capable of rebounding the basketball..........she just chooses not to depending on her mood........I get it........:)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Amari reminds me of a very young Lou Samuels. Samuels didnt do much rebounding at first but she came around to being a all around player instead of just a 3 point shooter. Lets hope Amari becomes that sooner rather than later.
Are you referring to Katie Lou Samuelson?

Reaction Score
so she is capable of rebounding the basketball..........she just chooses not to depending on her mood........I get it........:)
I'm with Coco. Nika Muhl outrebounded Cameron Brink last year in FF. A player can have a game that falls their way for a certain stat as it fell that way for Amari vs Providence, and it fell that way for Nika vs Stanford.

So what's the expectation going forward for Nika? You look back historically and see that game, the rebounding stat (8 rebounds), was a bit of an anomaly. Additionally, stats are influenced by quality of opponents too. Sure she can do it again and probably has but it will be a rare rule.

Likewise, why would you think that the game vs Providence wasn't a combination of a bit of an anomaly and a weak opponent? I'm sure Amari can have a few games that fall like Providence. But what we've seen historically prorating her rebound numbers why wouldn’t you think that the Providence game is basically an anomaly to this point?

Reaction Score
I think Zinethar got it right. Amari misunderstood. A different kind of big. Geno has to learn how to use her!

Reaction Score
I'm with Coco. Nika Muhl outrebounded Cameron Brink last year in FF. A player can have a game that falls their way for a certain stat as it fell that way for Amari vs Providence, and it fell that way for Nika vs Stanford.

So what's the expectation going forward for Nika? You look back historically and see that game, the rebounding stat (8 rebounds), was a bit of an anomaly. Additionally, stats are influenced by quality of opponents too. Sure she can do it again and probably has but it will be a rare rule.

Likewise, why would you think that the game vs Providence wasn't a combination of a bit of an anomaly and a weak opponent? I'm sure Amari can have a few games that fall like Providence. But what we've seen historically prorating her rebound numbers why wouldn’t you think that the Providence game is basically an anomaly to this point?
You know there are a number of variables but over time the stats tend to even out.........in this case she's played so few minutes I don't think we can make that judgement.............I

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There were times when Amari posted up and had her man on her hip but did not get the ball. Amari has post player size but a guard's mentality Every tall player is not suited to play the low post.
And if you listen to the CD interview this is the primary issue. Six pages of opinions and most of it wrong.

Reaction Score
I noticed in last night’s game that she doesn’t seem to have rebounding instincts. I’m not sure she knows where the ball is going to bounce. She seems more focused on blocking shots, which puts her in a worse position for rebounding anyway.

Reaction Score
You know there are a number of variables but over time the stats tend to even out.........in this case she's played so few minutes I don't think we can make that judgement.............I
First off, she didn't get a few minutes in this game; she got 26. And she showed?

Secondly, Until she shows it/positive consistently, why can't we make the judgment "at this point?" Why should we assume that if a player only gets a few minutes that they can't show out in terms of hustle and tenacity for more than 1 game - maybe show a few in a row? You mean a few minutes means a player can't show this off? You said before she showed it against Providence-- then why not show us again with a few in a row before we make a judgement that she is a rebounder other than just a rare game anomaly?

For me, I'm not in any way giving up on her. I won't even give up on her if she gets limited minutes through her junior year. Absolutely fine bringing her along slowly. This past game is a fantastic lesson. And as others have said I'm proud of them all. These injuries have to be brutal on college kids.

Reaction Score
Your comment on "passive play" was spot on. If you saw her rebounding, she lost many when others moved towards the ball and she just stood in position. The steals in the 4th Q on passes to her, were not totally the guard's fault, since she didn't move towards the ball as many of us were taught in 8th grade. On the few times she tried to get low position on offense, if the ball didn't go to her, she didn't move or cut, blocking up the middle for the rest of the team. I saw improvement but as Geno has said many times, he can't teach effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom