Amari Playing Time | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Amari Playing Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
True. Amari has a better outside shot than Griffin. Griffin is good in short stints when speeded up she rushes her shot. Amari plays at her own pace which I think is why Geno hasn't played her a lot. He mistakes lack intensity with effort.
Amari doesn't get to decide what pace she wants to play at. (See Video #1)

Geno doesn't coach effort ( See Video #2)

Geno Auriemma - Great Players & Effort

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What proof do you have that Geno recruited her to play in the middle? Geno does not recruit players to do one specific job. He likes versatile players, and he likes his post players to have the ability to score away from the basket.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
8,000+ views of this thread in 3 days. Very impressive. It shows that UConn fans ARE very interested in Amari and her possible contribution to the team.

Reaction Score
It seems like people who have never played or coached don’t get it, a player’s attitude in practice is important and tells a coach all they need to know about them. If a player is serious and works hard when “it doesn’t matter” then they can be counted on to do so when it does. I will be nice and not say it, but I think it is clear that Amari is a certain type of player (at least from what she has shown). I have rarely seen this type change.
You used the word "rarely", so I don't disagree with your post. Some kids just aren't good practice players.

However, what is also true, and I think you can find it in 1 or 2 books by Geno, is that some high-octane players coming out of high school just never connect with the coaching staff. They get turned off and stay off for whatever reason. I'm only speculating here, but this might be why Charde Houston (who broke DT's scoring records in CA) never really exploded to her full potential in college. With her HS resume and obvious talent, one would expect her to be in any "top 10" discussion, but I don't think she is in anyone's "top 10". (Did not mean to dump on Charde, there are better examples but it's hard to talk about them without violating BY rules...)

The opposite is also true. Often good players are inspired to become great players. Fortunately for Geno and UConn there are more examples of this than what there are of players who never fully connected with the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
You used the word "rarely", so I don't disagree with your post. Some kids just aren't good practice players.

However, what is also true, and I think you can find it in 1 or 2 books by Geno, is that some high-octane players coming out of high school just never connect with the coaching staff. They get turned off and stay off for whatever reason. I'm only speculating here, but this might be why Charde Houston (who broke DT's scoring records in CA) never really exploded to her full potential in college. With her HS resume and obvious talent, one would expect her to be in any "top 10" discussion, but I don't think she is in anyone's "top 10". (Did not mean to dump on Charde, there are better examples but it's hard to talk about them without violating BY rules...)

The opposite is also true. Often good players are inspired to become great players. Fortunately for Geno and UConn there are more examples of this than what there are of players who never fully connected with the coaching staff.
A point sometimes not put into the equation is the difference in what works in HS and now AAU just may not work as well in D1. Talent at the lower levels may just not translate up.

Reaction Score
Like the rest of you I don't know what Geno see or doesn't see in Amari. I watched her closely against ND and saw something I hadn't really noticed before that I have rarely seen. I had an 800m runner years ago that ran like she does. All her motion is below the hips. Head doesn't move up or down. It makes her appear to be basically moving slowly even though she is moving quite quickly. A motion like that makes it appear to be a lazy motion but watch carefully and she is usually down the other end with the rest of the team not lagging behind. Might be part of the perception she is not giving effort. BTW my runner once set a school record running at a large Invitational at Boston U.
While your comparison to a track runner is interesting, I have never seen Amari run at full speed. Perhaps this nets out some of the poster's (and maybe Geno's) concerns.

Reaction Score
A point sometimes not put into the equation is the difference in what works in HS and now AAU just may not work as well in D1. Talent at the lower levels may just not translate up.
Also true.

Reaction Score
2021 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN

Looking at that list, who in the post/forward position has really stood out so far? It keeps reminding me that rankings are only good for so much.

Some were injured (e.g. Dauda). Others transferred after a season for various reasons (Lattimore, Hollingshead, Hall,). And there are those still with their team and working their way to getting consistent minutes (e.g. O'Grady, Ediger, Striplin, Puckett - for some reason this season).

Iriafen from Stanford and Walsh from Northwestern are making significant contributions. Who else have I missed/overlooked?
We needed ball handlers last year and still do !

Reaction Score
5 TO, 4 PF, 0 Rebounds for Amari, there are flashes but it is so frustrating how little she produces in extended minutes. It must always be like this in practice. I have a hard time seeing any use for her when Dorka is back.

Reaction Score
Amari is just frustrating to watch. Does some good with scoring under the basket and then reverts back to a high post horrible passer. On defense she still brings her hands down which is a foul each time and even the screen she did in which Lou scored, was actually a foul as she moved into the guarding players (luckily it was not called).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Amari is just frustrating to watch. Does some good with scoring under the basket and then reverts back to a high post horrible passer. On defense she still brings her hands down which is a foul each time and even the screen she did in which Lou scored, was actually a foul as she moved into the guarding players (luckily it was not called).
Amari wants nothing to do with the paint :( She could have feasted there all night but she left Aaliyah alone, which reduced her effectiveness. Both of their effectiveness, actually

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Amari wants nothing to do with the paint :( she could have feasted there all night but she left Aaliyah alone, which reduced her effectiveness.
Especially when she started off down there, got a couple buckets...then stayed away.

Reaction Score
Amari will be fine. Silver lining with the injuries. Game situations will convince her that practice matters and practice is where she can improve her game. Now that she has her feet "wet", she will adjust and get better.

Reaction Score
I recall there were quite a few posters mad at Geno for not playing Amari vs ND. This should sink in; just because you are tall doesn't mean you can rebound. Height is important ofc, but this infatuation with it gets to be over-the-top. And the fouls and the TO's. So if all she could do is shoot the ball, but can't pass well for example, how is she making someone like Patterson better? Geno si suppsoed ot disregard Patterson because she isn't 6'5? Too many posters just want to make it all about Amari because of SC. You have to get to that game. And you have to be fair to every other player Geno recruited.

Reaction Score
According to the Box Score, Our tallest player available tonight played 26 minutes and had zero rebounds. Geno gave her the minutes instead of AP. Not sure if that opportunity comes again unless the injury plagued roster gives him no choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom