Amari Playing Time | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Amari Playing Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not certain what you mean by "this type". Care to expand that comment?
This Student, every Uconn recruited STUDENT has potential. for 3 years, often they have TIME. But time comes with ---what you give ME, I give back--if determination and effort AND potential is seen, Time is allowed,. Time is our most wasted, and most valuable commodity !
Re: "This type." Asking the wrong poster - refer to the last words of the post above mine. The last paragraph in my post, was to rebut it.

Reaction Score
True. Amari has a better outside shot than Griffin. Griffin is good in short stints when speeded up she rushes her shot. Amari plays at her own pace which I think is why Geno hasn't played her a lot. He mistakes lack intensity with effort.
CD/Geno will tell Players--Uconn is setting them up for LIFE and life demands intensity. A fire to succeed if you want to rise above the average.

Not every post is Dolson, Tina, Kiah, or PG's Sue, Dt, Rene
But I fairly certain all players that lasted beyond 2 years --practiced with intensity, their pace was the PACE Geno set. A few had medical issues that precluded long moments of intensity, they left.

As an employer, why should I keep them? Geno is the employer. Daily and in games he evaluates them--for desire, talent, attitude, "wanting it".
If what you say is true of Number 42, DeBerry, it's a wonder she is still here. So, frankly, I doubt that.

Reaction Score
Let's face it...Geno is the master of distraction. He is sandbagging with Amari...his plan is to pull out the secret weapon come playoff time...no one will see it coming. :)
I like the thought.
YET, the last time I saw "Distraction from Geno' was with DT at Duke. DT always played with effort, intensity and beat the Best or the Best.
If your tongue is firmly in your cheek, I apologize.

Reaction Score
I'm not certain what you mean by "this type". Care to expand that comment?
This Student, every Uconn recruited STUDENT has potential. for 3 years, often they have TIME. But time comes with ---what you give ME, I give back--if determination and effort AND potential is seen, Time is allowed,. Time is our most wasted, and most valuable commodity !
I am not going to say it, but people who have played/coached at a high level know what I mean. You can teach many things, but effort and drive - no, that has to come from the player. The things Nika has ;)

Reaction Score
I don’t know what Amari is like in practice. In games I see potential, but that’s all. If she starts playing exceptionally well on both ends of the floor in games, then she should definitely get more playing time. If not …

If I were her, I would be thinking this was my breakout chance and would be busting my ass to do whatever I could do to take advantage of it. I hope Amari feels the same. I truly would love to see her be very successful here.

Reaction Score
Well, with the Azzi injury, the only silver lining might be that Amari will definitely have the opportunity to play & see what she's got. think she will surprise people positively.

Reaction Score
Let's face it...Geno is the master of distraction. He is sandbagging with Amari...his plan is to pull out the secret weapon come playoff time...no one will see it coming. :)
Saving her for the SC game, perhaps. I see the vision...

Reaction Score
I've never been impressed with Amari. All I ever hear is how much potential she has. I haven't seen anything yet that tells me she's going to be anything but a mop up player.

Reaction Score
I recently saw an old youtube video of Geno and Rene Montgomery. Geno talked about Stewart being stubborn as a freshman. He wanted her to do one thing and she kept doing it her way. He said she would either do what he wanted or she would sit. He said he'd rather lose than tolerate a lack of effort.

Maybe a "come to Jesus" talk between her and CD?

Reaction Score
I've never been impressed with Amari. All I ever hear is how much potential she has. I haven't seen anything yet that tells me she's going to be anything but a mop up player.
You should check in with the coaches at Baylor,Louisville,Maryland, and ND. , among many others, since they all heavily recruited her.

Reaction Score
I don’t know the answer to this question. But this game reminded me of Georgia Tech last year. She was thrown into the game in somewhat of a desperate situation, and hit one or two shots. The board was calling for her to get playing time, and she didn’t really do anything in her limited action the rest of the season.

What I saw was her hit two field goals, and get scored on once in the post. Not sure there’s much data to draw any conclusion from. The only takeaway for me is that she has the potential to shoot the ball.

You should check in with the coaches at Baylor,Louisville,Maryland, and ND. , among many others, since they all heavily recruited her.
They would've been disappointed too

Reaction Score
They would've been disappointed too
Don't know from what experience you speak, but I
have a bit more confidence in the collective knowledge of these coaches. That,of course, includes Geno. We're talking about "potential ", by the way. Your term.

Reaction Score
Don't know from what experience you speak, but I
have a bit more confidence in the collective knowledge of these coaches. That,of course, includes Geno. We're talking about "potential ", by the way. Your term.
You're entitled, but you're wrong

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm kind of surprised that this thread is still alive. Must be a slow week Husky News wise. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Based on Geno's mostly positive comments about Ice, until her injury she was probably ahead of Amari in his plans too. If everyone was healthy this season Amari was likely the 6th option for the bigs, behind Dorka and Ice at the 5, and behind Aaliyah, Aubrey and Ayanna for the 4.

Next year we are probably loaded at every position except the 5. That is one reason why many fans, while critical of what we have seen thus far from Amari, are still very much hoping to see something that indicates she could be an answer to those needs. There is talent in the prospects for that position in Ice, Jana and Amari, but no proven experience in any of them.

We could have the C position handled by two freshmen, one recovering from injury. Yes we could play Aaliyah there quite a bit like we are now with Dorka out, but obviously that is far from ideal, for Aaliyah and the team. I think Ice and Jana will be the real deal and way above average players from day one, but we can't expect them to be as great in their first year as they will be later in their careers.

If there was an immediate fit, with a very good experienced true C in the portal, I think it would be worth a look, but if it wasn't an ideal situation, I think I would go with the youngsters and live with the downside of their inexperience.
Uconn has been doing a terrible job evaluating big bulky recruits for the team. What is going on with our recruiters bringing in some bigs?

Reaction Score
I openly admit I haven't read through all five pages of posts in this thread so forgive me if this has been stated. I may also be totally off base, but sometimes I think Amari's issues may relate to not wanting to put herself fully out there - putting it all on the line. She, it would appear is very happy to be part of this team, super supportive of her teammates on and off the court - an enthusiastic cheerleader and friend. She really just loves being 'part of the team'. I just wonder if she holds herself back, consciously or otherwise from putting everything on the line. Maybe she doesn't fully believe in her own potential and/or is afraid to find out what her ceiling is.

She seems to have the natural gifts - height and skills - to be a real contributor and perhaps even more. I think what she is missing, and what frustrates Geno (as he knows only she can make it happen) is the willingness to risk finding her potential. Perhaps her teammates really needed her to step up her game, will be enough to make her risk transitioning from being a 'fun member of the team' to being a real contributor. The importance to her of her relationship with them may just be what it takes to push herself to risk finding her ceiling.

Reaction Score
Being a part of a team does give some nice feelings, but you can only get so much vicariously. I'm hoping that as Amari plays more and, hopefully, starts scoring more and contributing with defense and rebounding more, that she will feel a deeper satisfaction than one would get just watching others succeed. Also, I hope that being instructed game time by Geno during the breaks, when he is exhorting the team and pointing out what they need to do, will make her feel like she really is one of the vitally important, needed players. Once she feels that kind of validation, I hope it will stick with her forever and will be something she craves and will want to duplicate over and over again.

Reaction Score
True. Amari has a better outside shot than Griffin. Griffin is good in short stints when speeded up she rushes her shot. Amari plays at her own pace which I think is why Geno hasn't played her a lot. He mistakes lack intensity with effort.

Geno is making a mistake? My eyes tell me she plays at a speed which does not lend itself well for this level of basketball. She is 6-5 so I don’t expect her to be Nika, but she is not as athletic as Aubrey.

Reaction Score
While a big fan, I have a sense why playing Amari is a difficult decision for Geno. Yes, she has a nice outside shot, but is an inconsistent defender, methodical/slow runner, and low intensity rebounder. For most teams, giving Amari significant minutes would be a no brainer, but on a team that features defense and a fast break, not always a fit. Maybe with the short bench, these issues won't matter and we will see how she can perform given more than a few minutes of playing time.

Reaction Score
Like the rest of you I don't know what Geno see or doesn't see in Amari. I watched her closely against ND and saw something I hadn't really noticed before that I have rarely seen. I had an 800m runner years ago that ran like she does. All her motion is below the hips. Head doesn't move up or down. It makes her appear to be basically moving slowly even though she is moving quite quickly. A motion like that makes it appear to be a lazy motion but watch carefully and she is usually down the other end with the rest of the team not lagging behind. Might be part of the perception she is not giving effort. BTW my runner once set a school record running at a large Invitational at Boston U.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom