Amari Playing Time | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Amari Playing Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First off, she didn't get a few minutes in this game; she got 26. And she showed?

Secondly, Until she shows it/positive consistently, why can't we make the judgment "at this point?" Why should we assume that if a player only gets a few minutes that they can't show out in terms of hustle and tenacity for more than 1 game - maybe show a few in a row? You mean a few minutes means a player can't show this off? You said before she showed it against Providence-- then why not show us again with a few in a row before we make a judgement that she is a rebounder other than just a rare game anomaly?

For me, I'm not in any way giving up on her. I won't even give up on her if she gets limited minutes through her junior year. Absolutely fine bringing her along slowly. This past game is a fantastic lesson. And as others have said I'm proud of them all. These injuries have to be brutal on college kids.
the bottom line is at this point in the season the team needs her to succeed............I think the more time she gets the more comfortable she will be and the better she will play...........worst case, she plays 10-15 minutes to rest others and doesn't hurt the team when she's out there.....;

Reaction Score
the bottom line is at this point in the season the team needs her to succeed............I think the more time she gets the more comfortable she will be and the better she will play...........worst case, she plays 10-15 minutes to rest others and doesn't hurt the team when she's out there.....;
No that isn't the bottom-line. That's the point of disagreeing with you I suppose. You could be right but I think your philosophy is nothing but prayer if not playing your best. You can’t say those 10-15 minutes will make her comfortable going into games S16/E8/ FF etc. Anyhow, I prefer the best players be rewarded. Not giving minutes to not as good players in hope and prayer they might produce in a 1 game elimination tournament is a faulty philosophy. And her being “comfortable” might be the worst thing possible. . IMO with Amari giving her baby steps is a great way of doing things.

You give her 10-15 minutes and she is not deserving of it because you are praying she produces in the NCAA's just completely throws out merit too. When you recruited players like Ducharme and Patterson did you tell them merit isn't what you are looking for? If they deserve more minutes than Amari why shouldn't they get it while UCONN has Dorka and Edwards and spot Patterson play all at the center role? Patterson was guarding iowa’s center and did well as an example. Why not give them more minutes so the ND game won’t happen again as long as they are better?

And if she is not better than how is not playing your best - not hurting the team?

sun

Reaction Score
IIRC Amari went to the floor twice for a loose ball showing good aggressive effort on those plays.

Reaction Score
No that isn't the bottom-line. That's the point of disagreeing with you I suppose. You could be right but I think your philosophy is nothing but prayer if not playing your best. You can’t say those 10-15 minutes will make her comfortable going into games S16/E8/ FF etc. Anyhow, I prefer the best players be rewarded. Not giving minutes to not as good players in hope and prayer they might produce in a 1 game elimination tournament is a faulty philosophy. And her being “comfortable” might be the worst thing possible. . IMO with Amari giving her baby steps is a great way of doing things.

You give her 10-15 minutes and she is not deserving of it because you are praying she produces in the NCAA's just completely throws out merit too. When you recruited players like Ducharme and Patterson did you tell them merit isn't what you are looking for? If they deserve more minutes than Amari why shouldn't they get it while UCONN has Dorka and Edwards and spot Patterson play all at the center role? Patterson was guarding iowa’s center and did well as an example. Why not give them more minutes so the ND game won’t happen again as long as they are better?

And if she is not better than how is not playing your best - not hurting the team?
Even if you don't want to reward her at this point in the season, with a very limited bench you are hurting the remaining players by not giving them a break...........once Dorka returns the need will not be as great, but I still believe if you play the remaining players 35 minutes plus you are risking more injuries or simple burnout.........this is an argument I've had here since I joined the Boneyard and I'm always amazed how some here forget how physically taxing this game is at this level.....

Reaction Score

I don't like to disparage UConn players but has Ducharme earned additional minutes based on the quality of her play this season? As far as I'm concerned, you keep her on the floor if she's healthy enough and let her figure it out because you know the talent is there but under your system, she's riding the bench if there are others available......

Reaction Score
Even if you don't want to reward her at this point in the season, with a very limited bench you are hurting the remaining players by not giving them a break...........once Dorka returns the need will not be as great, but I still believe if you play the remaining players 35 minutes plus you are risking more injuries or simple burnout.........this is an argument I've had here since I joined the Boneyard and I'm always amazed how some here forget how physically taxing this game is at this level.....
I was talking as they get healthier. My argument with you is different than your argument with me. I was talking as they get healthier. With a limited bench yes I agree 100% enthusiastically she plays.

When this team was/will get on a roll if healthy there would be many blowouts. Those are the games she will get 10-15 minutes. But in tight games/big time opponents she doesn't get those 10-15 minutes until she shows in the minutes she gets vs other "Providence teams" that she puts out that kind of performance she showed vs Providence. But I'm with you. No problem playing her as of right now.

As for a season I’m always amazed how some posters on here came so easily dismiss how not only Geno but nearly all super coaches play some of their starters 35+ minutes in tight games thereby criticizing the philosophy of experts just because they've imagined that a deeper bench will always be philosophically superior.

Reaction Score
I don't like to disparage UConn players but has Ducharme earned additional minutes based on the quality of her play this season? As far as I'm concerned, you keep her on the floor if she's healthy enough and let her figure it out because you know the talent is there but under your system, she's riding the bench if there are others available......
She earned it from last year's performance. She has shown an ability to be the best player on the court. I don't want to disparage Amari. Matter of fact as stated on another thread I'm proud of the team. - her included for this past game You get that feeling with Amari that she is among the best? I don't.

Reaction Score
She's got good length be she is much too slow - in terms of reacting, decision-making, and just getting up and down the floor. Thus, the high turnover rate. She could be effective if she setup in the post, but the sense I get is she doesnt want or have the skillset to be a low post player. Just not a good fit with this team at this point.

Reaction Score
As a player of necessity she did ok. Someone called her a facilitator. A facilitator with 5 turnovers . She was put on the floor for offense, with hopes that she would be marginally good on defense.

Reaction Score
I was talking as they get healthier. My argument with you is different than your argument with me. I was talking as they get healthier. With a limited bench yes I agree 100% enthusiastically she plays.

When this team was/will get on a roll if healthy there would be many blowouts. Those are the games she will get 10-15 minutes. But in tight games/big time opponents she doesn't get those 10-15 minutes until she shows in the minutes she gets vs other "Providence teams" that she puts out that kind of performance she showed vs Providence. But I'm with you. No problem playing her as of right now.

As for a season I’m always amazed how some posters on here came so easily dismiss how not only Geno but nearly all super coaches play some of their starters 35+ minutes in tight games thereby criticizing the philosophy of experts just because they've imagined that a deeper bench will always be philosophically superior.
Frankly, I would prefer the way that Dawn substitutes........she only has two players averaging less than ten minutes a game (both average 9) and she plays almost everybody during different parts of the game........keeps the starters fresh during the season and allows the bench players to get valuable experience...........Geno doesn't have that option right now but I'm hoping next season he adopts a bit more of that philosophy as the team will hopefully be loaded with talent..........

Reaction Score

No time for decisions based on merit right now.........If you remember Ducharme looked like a deer in the headlights when she played early last season..........it wasn't until Geno was forced to play her that she blossomed.........unfortunately she hasn't been the same player since her various injuries and she's scuffling right now.......I'm not sure if her play is being affected by physical issues or a lack of confidence or both but she needs to play her way out of it if she's healthy enough to go........it's all hands on deck.....

Reaction Score
Amari doesn't get to decide what pace she wants to play at. (See Video #1)

Geno doesn't coach effort ( See Video #2)

Geno Auriemma - Great Players & Effort

Actually the player DOES decide the SPEED she wants to play. The coach, however, gets to determine if or not to play her. Most kids play at the speed they are demanded to play and/or are comfortable playing. I doubt Geno asked Griffin to play at warp speed every game, yet she does.

None of this is truly relating to DeBerry. She is actually trying to fit in. She has 12 years of learning and learning to exclude some and to relearn others. Geno isn't your average or AAU Coach.

With some weight and DIV one experience, with what she showed us in the Princeton game she is quickly and determined to be a factor for this team. I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Reaction Score
Frankly, I would prefer the way that Dawn substitutes........she only has two players averaging less than ten minutes a game (both average 9) and she plays almost everybody during different parts of the game........keeps the starters fresh during the season and allows the bench players to get valuable experience...........Geno doesn't have that option right now but I'm hoping next season he adopts a bit more of that philosophy as the team will hopefully be loaded with talent..........
I like that approach. I'm an advocate of getting "the Bench" in more games, more often. That is predicated on "actually having a bench:"

Too, I believe you learn Geno's way and plays in practice,. Experience comes only from playing against many different teams, with YOUR team.
Griffin, is quick, has been from the start. But, it has taken game necessity for her to be a "take over" player. Now, she must produce.

Reaction Score
No time for decisions based on merit right now.........If you remember Ducharme looked like a deer in the headlights when she played early last season..........it wasn't until Geno was forced to play her that she blossomed.........unfortunately she hasn't been the same player since her various injuries and she's scuffling right now.......I'm not sure if her play is being affected by physical issues or a lack of confidence or both but she needs to play her way out of it if she's healthy enough to go........it's all hands on deck.....
Not all kids learn to swim when thrown into the pool. Those that do swim earlier. Better? some.
Caroline, last year was pretty certain of her abilities and her health. As you state, after injuries, she isn't quite so sure of her body doing what her brain decides. She passed at least a dozen shots she would have take last year.
EDIT. That hip operated on may have a vastly different feel and that will throw off her shooting, and other aspects of her game.
i no longer play the game but using my hoop, after surgery a lot changed.

Remember the posters saying---SHE shoots too much,. When partially open she shot. We could have used that Caroline in the ND and Princeton games.
If she is the Caroline of her ancestry, that I believe in, she shall overcome this and excel

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ready or not, it appears she shall, for the immediate future, be THE ROTATION.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Sorry, Geno doesn't need to copy anything any other coach does. If it comes to that, I am guessing that he is close to retirement. IMHO.

Reaction Score
Sorry, Geno doesn't need to copy anything any other coach does. If it comes to that, I am guessing that he is close to retirement. IMHO.
Geno talks to other coaches from WBB and NBA all the time to pick up new things...........he's the first to admit that there's always something new to learn...........he also appears to have toned down his tough talk to the players a bit as an acknowledgment that this generation of players is just different.........even the most successful old dog can still learn new tricks......

Reaction Score
We haven't had a "dominant" team in a while but I prefer Geno's style using 2013-2016 as examples. Get your stars to play in that 30 minute per game range. This allows your stars to maintain a rhythm and level of consistency throughout the season and comfort zone throughout the Tournament. Giving around 30 +/- minutes is fine for these player as they've historically shown.

Reaction Score
Yes I like to use the Ducharme as an example which shows how Geno's method is so spot on. If you'll remember early on Geno didn't play Ducharme much if her 1st 5 games in which she only averaged 5 minutes per game. But then between having the opportunity along with her performance in the 6th game vs ND - she scored 14 points in 14 minutes. The team was having scoring issues and she showed she could do it. That's what we want to see out of Amari and other players. Even though you are averaging 5 minutes, it doesn't mean you can't produce in a future game. IF she wasn't producing, she wasnt'; going to play. The point is - you can't use the 5 minutes as an excuse just like the example Caroline has shown us.

This is why his method of UCONN being a power for so long despite being in a non P5 Conference and out recruiting so many other schools being from little ol' Storrs Ct is so amazing. He develops players and they win a ton.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes I like to use the Ducharme as an example which shows how Geno's method is so spot on. If you'll remember early on Geno didn't play Ducharme much if her 1st 5 games in which she only averaged 5 minutes per game. But then between having the opportunity along with her performance in the 6th game vs ND - she scored 14 points in 14 minutes. The team was having scoring issues and she showed she could do it. That's what we want to see out of Amari and other players. Even though you are averaging 5 minutes, it doesn't mean you can't produce in a future game. IF she wasn't producing, she wasnt'; going to play. The point is - you can't use the 5 minutes as an excuse just like the example Caroline has shown us.

This is why his method of UCONN being a power for so long despite being in a non P5 Conference and out recruiting so many other schools being from little ol' Storrs Ct is so amazing. He develops players and they win a ton.
This is a debate I've been having since I started here.........with the new transfer portal rules it's going to be even more difficult to satisfy those highly ranked players who are getting only four minutes per game as they simply don't have the patience to wait to play.........hopefully next season there will be an entire bench of quality players at UConn......it's not going to be easy to play eight players and keep everybody happy..........it's a great problem to have but might be tricky........

Reaction Score
This is a debate I've been having since I started here.........with the new transfer portal rules it's going to be even more difficult to satisfy those highly ranked players who are getting only four minutes per game as they simply don't have the patience to wait to play.........hopefully next season there will be an entire bench of quality players at UConn......it's not going to be easy to play eight players and keep everybody happy..........it's a great problem to have but might be tricky........
That's why I don't believe Dawn will have the same success after this year unless she changes. Many top ten recruits are not going to want to play just 15-20 minutes like Cardoso for example.

sun

Reaction Score
That's why I don't believe Dawn will have the same success after this year unless she changes. Many top ten recruits are not going to want to play just 15-20 minutes like Cardoso for example.
Receiving significant NIL money can make it more palatable for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom