Am I the only one watching this game? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Am I the only one watching this game?

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I get not liking these teams but as a football fan I don’t know why you wouldn’t wanna watch this game.
Because there is no entertainment value in watching the "championship“ game of a six-team league. Nothing in the realm of sports could be less appealing.

Reaction Score
Because there is no entertainment value in watching the "championship“ game of a six-team league. Nothing in the realm of sports could be less appealing.

I'm not 100% sure what this means, but it's hard to argue about team diversity when AAC Cincy was part of the playoff. In a different universe that could have been UCONN as there was a time not long ago when we were Cincy's equal. They made some fantastic coaching hires and we chose an alternate path.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I'm not 100% sure what this means, but it's hard to argue about team diversity when AAC Cincy was part of the playoff. In a different universe that could have been UCONN as there was a time not long ago when we were Cincy's equal. They made some fantastic coaching hires and we chose an alternate path.
My comment was about the CG not the playoff. It means I was interested until Cincy and Michigan were out, though clearly they were just cannon fodder to create the facade of parity and fairness. The structure of the FBS system including the "playoff“ is so unbalanced it's laughable. Until the playoff is expanded to at least eight and preferably sixteen teams its a joke and just reinforces the overall structural flaws of FBS.

Reaction Score
There's always entertainment value in watching high-level college football.

Reaction Score
They need to go to the NFL rule where it's a spot foul. Way too advantageous to just tackle a receiver anytime you're beat
There is nothing I hate more that the NFL PI rule when a QB throws up a prayer and the WR stops to adjust, gets bumped by the DB and the offense gets the ball at the 1 yard line. I much prefer the college rule of 15 yards. I do see a reason to allow the spot foul if the PI is blatantly on purpose. I feel that the NFL rule is far too generous to the offense. The Bama DB was pretty smart. he knew he was beat and he knew the rules

Reaction Score
I only watched a little in the first half. Did GA play a QB that wasn’t even a 4star and not even 6 foot? Good thing they didn’t switch him to WR because of his size.

Reaction Score
My comment was about the CG not the playoff. It means I was interested until Cincy and Michigan were out, though clearly they were just cannon fodder to create the facade of parity and fairness. The structure of the FBS system including the "playoff“ is so unbalanced it's laughable. Until the playoff is expanded to at least eight and preferably sixteen teams its a joke and just reinforces the overall structural flaws of FBS.
Help me understand this. If Cindy and Mich were cannon fodder, how would adding more teams like them, or lower related than them, help balance in any way? Truly not understanding

Reaction Score
Help me understand this. If Cindy and Mich were cannon fodder, how would adding more teams like them, or lower related than them, help balance in any way? Truly not understanding
I think the idea here is that a few teams are in it every year and as a result of that, all the top players want to go to those teams. If there are more slots available for more teams, then maybe some of the talent will spread out more. I'm not sure it will work out that way, but I could see that being a line of thinking.

Reaction Score
There is nothing I hate more that the NFL PI rule when a QB throws up a prayer and the WR stops to adjust, gets bumped by the DB and the offense gets the ball at the 1 yard line. I much prefer the college rule of 15 yards. I do see a reason to allow the spot foul if the PI is blatantly on purpose. I feel that the NFL rule is far too generous to the offense. The Bama DB was pretty smart. he knew he was beat and he knew the rules

This brings up an idea...

Similar to "Running into" 5 yds, and "Roughing" 15 yds
Maybe there should be "intentional" spot foul, and "unintentional" 15 yds PI calls.

Of course, this requires interpretation from officials, and would lead to more replays, but it would help this issue.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I think the idea here is that a few teams are in it every year and as a result of that, all the top players want to go to those teams. If there are more slots available for more teams, then maybe some of the talent will spread out more. I'm not sure it will work out that way, but I could see that being a line of thinking.
Precisely. Nothing's perfect, but the current structure couldn't be much worse. I'll add that, unlike the hoops tournament, the CFB football playoffs would do well Tyler Phommachanh be structured in such a way that teams from the same conference can not meet in the NC game.

Reaction Score
Precisely. Nothing's perfect, but the current structure couldn't be much worse. I'll add that, unlike the hoops tournament, the CFB football playoffs would do well Tyler Phommachanh be structured in such a way that teams from the same conference can not meet in the NC game.
That would be incredibly stupid. You should always want the two best teams playing each other in the NC game.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
That would be incredibly stupid. You should always want the two best teams playing each other in the NC game.
By your logic the NFL is incredibly stupid. I'm sure there are years when the 2 best teams are in the same conference or even the same division. Too bad. Win your division. Win your conference. Play in the Super Bowl. Should be the same in BCS. Win your conference or an at-large bid. Win your side of the bracket. Play in the NC game. Rigging the system to get the "two best teams" is incredibly stupid. It just perpetuates and amplifies the lack of any semblance of parity. To any disinterested observer it must be comical.

You know, you could take this year's line up of BCS teams, put them in a reasonably formatted sixteen-team playoff, and 'Bama or UGA might still win the NC, but make them runt the gauntlet of a real playoff for crissake. They MIGHT get knocked off along the way. That possibility would generate interest and ratings I believe. It would certainly be more entertaining than the current sham. If UGA wins after that, I can live with it.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Enjoyable game especially the ending. I dislike Alabama so much and this was the better defense and offensive line won this game.

Now UConn to play in a bowl game in the next couple of years would be good

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I enjoyed the game because these teams have great athletes and are so evenly matched it's scary
Cinci and especially Michigan don't belong with these two - they are head and shoulders above everyone this season.
The best team on that particular night won. Period.
If they played tonight I wouldn't be surprised if Bama won in the closing moments

Reaction Score
By your logic the NFL is incredibly stupid. I'm sure there are years when the 2 best teams are in the same conference or even the same division. Too bad. Win your division. Win your conference. Play in the Super Bowl. Should be the same in BCS. Win your conference or an at-large bid. Win your side of the bracket. Play in the NC game. Rigging the system to get the "two best teams" is incredibly stupid. It just perpetuates and amplifies the lack of any semblance of parity. To any disinterested observer it must be comical.

You know, you could take this year's line up of BCS teams, put them in a reasonably formatted sixteen-team playoff, and 'Bama or UGA might still win the NC, but make them runt the gauntlet of a real playoff for crissake. They MIGHT get knocked off along the way. That possibility would generate interest and ratings I believe. It would certainly be more entertaining than the current sham. If UGA wins after that, I can live with it.
There is no parity, the SEC is way better than the rest of the county. Comparing the NFL to college football is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Some people have dreams of a #7 seed catching fire and winning the whole thing?

One can always dream.

Reaction Score
Game observations. Yes, UGA has a great defense and Bama was missing some key pieces on offense, but that doesn't account for the terrible play calling by Bill O'Brien. There was zero creativity. Never ran the QB. They ran Robinson right up the middle (of nowhere). Bama's inability to score a TD--at least 4 times--in the red zone with the Heisman Trophy winner was ridiculous. If Lane Kiffin or Sarkasian were calling plays, 'Bama wins. Also, Bryce Young was phlegmatic out there. Didn't see much in the way of his rallying the troops. I'd be wary to draft him.

Reaction Score
I had Georgia winning this because of the rematch and they were the best team in the country all year. Georgia had the better team the year they lost to Bama in the last title game they were due.

Reaction Score
This brings up an idea...

Similar to "Running into" 5 yds, and "Roughing" 15 yds
Maybe there should be "intentional" spot foul, and "unintentional" 15 yds PI calls.

Of course, this requires interpretation from officials, and would lead to more replays, but it would help this issue.
The PI in the Chargers-Raiders was a classic example. Line of scrimmage was the Charger 45 with 50 seconds left in the half and Carr heaved up a long pass to avoid a sack. The ball landed 15 yards away from the point of contact for the PI call but the Raiders got the call and the ball on the 1. Sure there was probably PI on the play (could be debated as it also looked like a acting job by the WR). Regardless, if it were a 15 yard penalty it would put the Raiders comfortably into FG range with a few more shots at the endzone. That is a just outcome for a pass with a very low percentage of completion.

I think a fair rule would be a PI from 30 yards or beyond ball gets placed at the 15 yard line. A PI on a play originating from 20-30 yards the ball gets placed at the 10 yard line. Anything within 20 yards gets place at the 2 yard line.

Reaction Score
Game observations. Yes, UGA has a great defense and Bama was missing some key pieces on offense, but that doesn't account for the terrible play calling by Bill O'Brien. There was zero creativity. Never ran the QB. They ran Robinson right up the middle (of nowhere). Bama's inability to score a TD--at least 4 times--in the red zone with the Heisman Trophy winner was ridiculous. If Lane Kiffin or Sarkasian were calling plays, 'Bama wins. Also, Bryce Young was phlegmatic out there. Didn't see much in the way of his rallying the troops. I'd be wary to draft him.
I'm starting to become wary of any QB from Bama. They are so damn good across the board that these QB's have it pretty easy most of the time. It makes it very difficult to project how they will play at the next level in my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom