Always be Positive | The Boneyard

Always be Positive

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Ive read a few posts where posters are saying that other posters are posting negitive about players. Those being accused of negitive posts are saying their not negitive. Those who think they are negitive posts are saying they are. Heres a rule of thumb that I use. When posting about a player think of posting about your own daughter. Post the way you would want someone to post about your daughter. All athletes have strong points, all have things they need to work on, all athletes have things to work on to improve. All have played at different competitive levels and all even the very best have room for improvment. All Im saying is post like you would want someone to post about your daughter. Choose you words carefully as this board is the board imo of WCBB. Be positive. When you post start by being positive bringing up good points about a player, then you can mention where improvements you think need to be made then finish with a positive note. Remember your posting about someones daughter, granddaughter, sister and friend.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I agree, Tony. And to take it one small step further, think about yourself as a teenage athlete (as many of us were, or at least tried to be, ages and ages ago) and how awful it would have felt to witness adults anonymously disparaging your own abilities.

It is generally a wonderful experience to be a member of the UConn women`s basketball team but there is a downside to being a teenager living under a public microscope, and we should all be sensitive to that. They get a lot of praise and adulation, but their missteps and failures also get magnified and we should avoid the urge to pile on. Honest evaluation is fine but as you suggest, it should be tempered. It is a game of mistakes and they are all doing their best and trying to find their way.

The positives should be underlined especially now, when many things we took for granted - like the season itself - are at risk.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Ive read a few posts where posters are saying that other posters are posting negitive about players. Those being accused of negitive posts are saying their not negitive. Those who think they are negitive posts are saying they are. Heres a rule of thumb that I use. When posting about a player think of posting about your own daughter. Post the way you would want someone to post about your daughter. All athletes have strong points, all have things they need to work on, all athletes have things to work on to improve. All have played at different competitive levels and all even the very best have room for improvment. All Im saying is post like you would want someone to post about your daughter. Choose you words carefully as this board is the board imo of WCBB. Be positive. When you post start by being positive bringing up good points about a player, then you can mention where improvements you think need to be made then finish with a positive note. Remember your posting about someones daughter, granddaughter, sister and friend.

Thanks Tonyc. If anyone visits the yard today and only reads one post, THIS is it!!! This is the board that all other boards aspire to be.

A friendly reminder that our girls may visit the yard from time to time, as are their parents, as well as potential recruits and their parents.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree, Tony. And to take it one small step further, think about yourself as a teenage athlete (as many of us were, or at least tried to be, ages and ages ago) and how awful it would have felt to witness adults anonymously disparaging your own abilities.

It is generally a wonderful experience to be a member of the UConn women`s basketball team but there is a downside to being a teenager living under a public microscope, and we should all be sensitive to that. They get a lot of praise and adulation, but their missteps and failures also get magnified and we should avoid the urge to pile on. Honest evaluation is fine but as you suggest, it should be tempered. It is a game of mistakes and they are all doing their best and trying to find their way.

The positives should be underlined especially now, when many things we took for granted - like the season itself - are at risk.

Well said Huskie11. An excellent addendum to Tonyc’s narrative. Two excellent posts to start the day.
:)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Well said Tonyc.... You have historically been a positive voice here and I think these girls have enough things on their plate to stress them out especially during this time where they are not only worried about COVID 19 but whether or not they will the opportunity to showcase their skills in the game they have so far dedicated their lives to without adding needless negative posts. Your litmus test is valid...nothing is more precious than our own sons or daughters.... In many ways at least for four years these kids are our adopted daughters let's do our best to give them whatever encouragement we can...after all what are fans for.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hi Tony!
To change the subject a little, will Albany be hosting the regional games this year, and has anyone heard anything about ticket sale dates? I know I’m jumping the gun here in many ways, but I was just curious.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
When posting about a player think of posting about your own daughter
Tony I think about how I would talk to the parent of a teammate of my daughter after a game. Emphasize the positives, minimize the negatives.

Reaction Score
They are not your daughters or granddaughters. So if some people want to pretend that they are. That's your choice but don't use that against someone that critiques the players. They are College Basketball Players and students who are young adults not your kids or grandchildren.

CL82

Reaction Score
It’s:
You‘be got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative.”

Bing Crosby
Lol, I was thinking of posting a video of that song! Great minds...

CL82

Reaction Score
They are not your daughters or granddaughters. So if some people want to pretend that they are. That's your choice but don't use that against someone that critiques the players. They are College Basketball Players and students who are young adults not your kids or grandchildren.
I think everyone here is well aware of that but simply use the analogy to remind people of basic civility in a civil manner.

Reaction Score
You’re confusing negative and positive.
1596993072124.gif

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
The negativity of this board is what kept me off of it for more than a year. Just needed a break from it but I’m also quite certain there are posters on here that are not UConn fans and there sole purpose is to instigate the negativity.

Reaction Score
I think everyone here is well aware of that but simply use the analogy to remind people of basic civility in a civil manner.
I don't think everyone does but most and if you are aware then the analogy shouldn't be needed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ive read a few posts where posters are saying that other posters are posting negitive about players. Those being accused of negitive posts are saying their not negitive. Those who think they are negitive posts are saying they are. Heres a rule of thumb that I use. When posting about a player think of posting about your own daughter.
Yea, my daughter kind of sucks at basketball, soooo......guess I'm good to go with whatever.

;)

CL82

Reaction Score
Yea, my daughter kind of sucks at basketball, soooo......guess I'm good to go with whatever.

;)
Lol, but it's not like her you tell so, and make her walk home.... is it?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Lol, but it's not like her you tell so, and make her walk home.... is it?
No, about 7th or 8th grade, after watching a HS game, she said "I'm not ever playing at UCONN am I?" No hon, you're not, sorry. She unfortunately had her mother and my genes.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I wanted to stick this somewhere. This is as good a place as any.......................

1597074955595.png

Happy birthday to me.

I know it's a little egotistical. I didn't celebrate yesterday, and I won't be celebrating tomorrow, but I'm celebrating today!!! :D I don't know how many more I'm going to have. I'm at the age where I don't take them for granted anymore. Cake and ice cream for everyone. :) Happy birthday to YOU when yours comes around. :D

Last edited:

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Hi Tony!
To change the subject a little, will Albany be hosting the regional games this year, and has anyone heard anything about ticket sale dates? I know I’m jumping the gun here in many ways, but I was just curious.
A little???!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom