Already known but still funny…and sad | The Boneyard

Already known but still funny…and sad

Reaction Score
I’m sitting here on the Cape watching WCVB ch 5 out of Boston. They are talking about the Red Sox, Bruins and the Patriots, and I think I heard a comment on the Revolution. Did BC play yesterday?

Oh yeah, quick google search shows they played at home and lost against North Carolina State. They wanted to be the only New England team and they are not even mentioned in Boston.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The irony is that having a rivalry with a regional team would have helped them generate interest.

Still, their plan has been successful in that they’ve made things much more difficult for us and I have cost UConn, and thus the state of Connecticut well over $100,000,000.

Reaction Score
I’m sitting here on the Cape watching WCVB ch 5 out of Boston. They are talking about the Red Sox, Bruins and the Patriots, and I think I heard a comment on the Revolution. Did BC play yesterday?

Oh yeah, quick google search shows they played at home and lost against North Carolina State. They wanted to be the only New England team and they are not even mentioned in Boston.

They will never do that in a sports town like Boston, especially in an era where the Red Sox and Patriots have won numerous championships. Still, they're light years better off than we are for the time being. They did a good job of cutting us off at the knees and it's showed.

Bastards.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I grew up in CT, went to UCONN, and moved to a Boston suburb to go to grad school and, now, work at BC. Every time I go back to CT I am impressed by the state-wide love of UCONN sports. No college has that in MA. UCONN is a source of state-wide pride.

Reaction Score
The irony is that having a rivalry with a regional team would have helped them generate interest.

Still, their plan has been successful in that they’ve made things much more difficult for us and I have cost UConn, and thus the state of Connecticut well over $100,000,000.

Competition breeds greatness.

Reaction Score
I think BC-UConn would have been extremely popular for many sports fans in New England, especially in football, if they were both in the ACC.

Although, most BC fans and administrators think only UConn fans would care.

Reaction Score
I think BC-UConn would have been extremely popular for many sports fans in New England, especially in football, if they were both in the ACC.

Although, most BC fans and administrators think only UConn fans would care.
They just say that because they know we’d eclipse them again. They ran like hell from us and their fans try to pretend they were never afraid. They were terrified.

Reaction Score
They just say that because they know we’d eclipse them again. They ran like hell from us and their fans try to pretend they were never afraid. They were terrified.
You hit the nail on the head!!!! DeFillipo and BC pulled into the Rent for that first meeting, saw the thousands of tailgating fans, saw the sold out stadium, and they saw a future where UConn would be the team in the North East for football. They already knew what UConn basketball had become so BC did the only thing the could do, they ran away.

Reaction Score
Oh I know. I was born in NYC and my family roots go there, but I went to middle school in Mansfield and high school in Storrs in the 90s and now I live in Boston. I have seen the entire spectrum of fan interest in college sports.

BC isn't even a tiny speck on the radar here. If their basketball and/or football was consistently in the top 10 and won a national title, that would be the only way they would gain some attention. The Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, and Bruins would still rule the day here, but at least BC would get some attention and shine.

As far as sticking it to UConn, BC wins. As far as having any relevancy or anyone caring for them around here, please, most people don't know they exist. That's why it would've been better for them to have UConn as New England rival within the ACC to play on Rivalry weekend like a Yale-Harvard game. That would help them get some attention w/o the top 10 success or national championships. Yale and Harvard always get some shine whenever they play their rivalry game in Cambridge.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Oh I know. I was born in NYC and my family roots go there, but I went to middle school in Mansfield and high school in Storrs in the 90s and now I live in Boston. I have seen the entire spectrum of fan interest in college sports.

BC isn't even a tiny speck on the radar here. If their basketball and/or football was consistently in the top 10 and won a national title, that would be the only way they would gain some attention. The Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, and Bruins would still rule the day here, but at least BC would get some attention and shine.

As far as sticking it to UConn, BC wins. As far as having any relevancy or anyone caring for them around here, please, most people don't know they exist. That's why it would've been better for them to have UConn as New England rival within the ACC to play on Rivalry weekend like a Yale-Harvard game. That would help them get some attention w/o the top 10 success or national championships. Yale and Harvard always get some shine whenever they play their rivalry game in Cambridge.
They hated UConn and wanted them dead when it came to the reenlighment that was happening and they wanted UConn to be left out. They blackballed UConn along with Syracuse who wanted Pitt and not UConn.

So I root against each of these teams for them to flounder in the ACC and maybe they will be left behind when all is said and done since none of them are in the class of OSU, Alabama, Mich, USC, Okla and a number of others.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Left photo is UConn side right photo is BC side when a 2 win UConn team came into play at Fenway.

Attachments

• 588BC912-1375-4CAA-85E1-2B808C20F20E.jpeg
    588BC912-1375-4CAA-85E1-2B808C20F20E.jpeg
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 26ED1AB6-81B6-4C5A-A590-B8AD4F3732DA.jpeg
    26ED1AB6-81B6-4C5A-A590-B8AD4F3732DA.jpeg
    903.7 KB · Views: 122
Reaction Score

One small point. BC Hockey is a big deal is it not? Likewise the Beanpot.

Reaction Score
One small point. BC Hockey is a big deal is it not? Likewise the Beanpot.
Yeah I noticed, as former Northeastern University student, the BeanPot gets some attention here, but I wouldn't say it captures the city so to speak like the pro sports teams. It will get mentioned in the 11:00 news and get some additional coverage in NESN but it certainly isn't the first thing they cover.

For reference, when the Red Sox were trying to repeat as World Series champs in the 2005 playoffs, Northeastern had a big screen in the Curry student center for the games as many people gathered there. The dorms would, too. And you could hear constant water cooler talk at in the university or at work or on subway and around the city. Same goes for the Patriots, Celtics, and Bruins when they are in the playoffs, it engulfs Boston and the surrounding suburbs. BC Hockey or BC sports for that matter, you won't hear even a whisper, and the Beanpot has some interest among niche hockey fans that creates a buzz for a little bit, but that's about it, and when it's over, it is pretty much forgotten about and doesn't resonate with the city afterwards.

Moreover, remember HuskyMania in 1990 the Dream Season? There isn't a shot in hell that happens with Boston College sports.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They hated UConn and wanted them dead when it came to the reenlighment that was happening and they wanted UConn to be left out. They blackballed UConn along with Syracuse who wanted Pitt and not UConn.

So I root against each of these teams for them to flounder in the ACC and maybe they will be left behind when all is said and done since none of them are in the class of OSU, Alabama, Mich, USC, Okla and a number of others.
As far as BC hating UConn and wanting to stick it to them, it sure looks like it and they succeeded in sticking it to UConn. But I don't really know the entire story, as a poster here on the Boneyard, CL82, posted a good article on how FSU and Clemson didn't want UConn football bringing down the quality of the ACC.

Bottom Lines:
If UConn football kept the momentum from the Fiesta Bowl appearance in 2010-2011 and sold out the Rent to loud raucous crowds, FSU and Clemson would've accepted UConn and BC wouldn't have been able to influence anything. Unfortunately, when the musical chair of conference realignment started the UConn football was full force descending into the abyss it's in now.

At some point, if it they have not already noticed, the Clemsons, FSUs, Alabama, LSUs, OSUs, Michigan's, Penn State are going to realize their conferences have bottom feeders that do nothing in terms of football success or generating fan interest and are getting equal TV payments. If these schools secede and form a super league P5, BC and Syracuse will certainly be left out of that and maybe a northeastern conference gets created where the remaining former Big East schools and ACC schools left out come together.

Who knows? I don't have a crystal ball.

Would a blossoming yearly UConn-BC rivalry since 2011 help BC generate enough interest to be included in the super league P5 (it sure as hell wouldn't be W-L record)? Doubtful, but it would make BC football more relevant then they are now.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
But I don't really know the entire story, as a poster here on the Boneyard, CL82, posted a good article on how FSU and Clemson didn't want UConn football bringing down the quality of the ACC
Sort of.

UConn was slated to go to the ACC twice. The first time as the partner to Syracuse and the second time as the replacement for Maryland. BCU blocked UConn from joining with Syracuse the ACC invited Pittsburgh instead.

When Maryland left FSU decided to flex its muscles a little bit as it felt that Syracuse in Pittsburgh additions were “basketball“ additions and they wanted a football school to be replace Maryland. The tobacco Road schools favored the addition of UConn to the ACC, so to a certain extent their pushing for Louisville was a statement about those schools dominance of the conference as it was a dislike of the addition of Connecticut.

Yeah it really didn’t work out all that well for the ACC, since Pittsburgh’s done nothing since it’s edition in Louisville has had one scandal after another and is an outlier academically.

I give BCU props in that they were successful in keeping Connecticut out of the P5, however, it’s been a pyrrhic victory for them.

One thing to remember is that since ESPN was funding the ACC raids on the Big East, one word from them would have made us a member of the ACC. (Without ESPN funding the raids on the Big East conference, they don’t happen.) It bothers me that a Connecticut company, who started their business model broadcasting University of Connecticut sports and who have requested tax breaks from the state have cost the state over a $100,000,000 in lost media rights revenue. Everyone of us, and especially the governor in the legislature should keep that in mind the next time they come looking for a tax break.

Reaction Score
Sort of.

UConn was slated to go to the ACC twice. The first time as the partner to Syracuse and the second time as the replacement for Maryland. BCU blocked UConn from joining with Syracuse the ACC invited Pittsburgh instead.

When Maryland left FSU decided to flex its muscles a little bit as it felt that Syracuse in Pittsburgh additions were “basketball“ additions and they wanted a football school to be replace Maryland. The tobacco Road schools favored the addition of UConn to the ACC, so to a certain extent their pushing for Louisville was a statement about those schools dominance of the conference as it was a dislike of the addition of Connecticut.

Yeah it really didn’t work out all that well for the ACC, since Pittsburgh’s done nothing since it’s edition in Louisville has had one scandal after another and is an outlier academically.

I give BCU props in that they were successful in keeping Connecticut out of the P5, however, it’s been a pyrrhic victory for them.

One thing to remember is that since ESPN was funding the ACC raids on the Big East, one word from them would have made us a member of the ACC. (Without ESPN funding the raids on the Big East conference, they don’t happen.) It bothers me that a Connecticut company, who started their business model broadcasting University of Connecticut sports and who have requested tax breaks from the state have cost the state over a $100,000,000 in lost media rights revenue. Everyone of us, and especially the governor in the legislature should keep that in mind the next time they come looking for a tax break.
Thanks for clearing that up, CL82. I had a feeling I was butchering the realignment details.

Pyrrhic victory, is a perfect way to sum it up for BC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom