Allie Ziebell commits to UConn!! (Merged thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Allie Ziebell commits to UConn!! (Merged thread)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
All of the top rated BB players committing to Uconn is wonderful news and I love it. My inner concern has nothing to do with the players committing to Uconn. My concern is I'm 89 and I don't know if I will be around to watch these marvelous players that will be playing in 2024 and beyond. I have spent my whole life in keeping in shape and the Lord has blessed me this far. I work 6 days a week at my Muffler Shop and love NO sport more than I love Uconn BB. I really hope I will be around in 24,25,26. My driver's license is good till 2027. Hopefully that is a sign. GO HUSKIES!!!!!
I know what you mean and you have me by a decade.

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
You'll be here Next 12 for another decade. KK, Ashlyn and Allie Z will help bring home more Natties with the next decade. You'll be so enamored!

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
Geno only picks the cream of the crop when it comes to unselfish, hard working players that will fit into the UConn system..........the "23 and now '24 recruits certainly reflect those characteristics....
Where are all those posters three or four years ago saying Geno is no longer a premier recruiter and thus he should consider retiring?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Where are all those posters three or four years ago saying Geno is no longer a premier recruiter and thus he should consider retiring?
At the time they said it, UConn was going through a dry spell in recruiting highly rated recruits. However, it seems as though as soon as Geno started successfully recruiting a number of foreign players, more highly ranked American players started committing again. Or something like that.

Reaction Score
At the time they said it, UConn was going through a dry spell in recruiting highly rated recruits. However, it seems as though as soon as Geno started successfully recruiting a number of foreign players, more highly ranked American players started committing again. Or something like that.
yes Geno admitted that recruiting was off a bit back then..........the choice by Ms Bueckers to attend UConn seems to have put an end to that issue although true centers still seem to be a hard to find......

Reaction Score
"Allie is a special player and a special person," Neenah girls basketball coach Andy Braunel said Saturday. "Amazingly hard worker with one of the best work ethics I’ve ever been around. She is unselfish and always looks to get her teammates involved. Love the evolution of her game. She's always been a scorer, but her defense has made some major strides. She went from a kid that we had to be careful with her defensive matchup to a player that we now usually put on the other team's best player.

"The points make the headlines, but it only speaks to part of her game. She’s dishing out almost seven assists per game and grabs nine rebounds a game. She is the most complete player I’ve ever witnessed at the high school level."

I found it interesting that the article mentions the other contenders even though Allie never had a list so to speak. What stands out from that list is two things, how many schools close to her were mentioned, and the lack of other top ranked programs on the list. Pure speculation, but it kind of appears like she considered staying close to home, but it she went further away it was going to be Uconn.

Since she was ranked #5 by ESPN, I have to think the other top programs were after her too, but she may have indicated a lack of interest pretty early in the process. Who knows? Regardless glad to have her.

The videos and stats support the reputation as a shooter/scorer but in addition I was surprised by how strong she appears to be. She powered thru contact very well inside and seems to not be bothered at all by contact. We may have another three-level scorer here.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I expected to see more elite programs after a player as highly ranked as she is.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
yes Geno admitted that recruiting was off a bit back then..........the choice by Ms Bueckers to attend UConn seems to have put an end to that issue although true centers still seem to be a hard to find......
The commitments of Makurat (sp) and Muhl seems to have opened up the foreign gates.

Reaction Score
I think we have a height debate potentially brewing here. Most references seem to be 5-10, but I have also seen 5-11, and one of the articles announcing her decision said 6 feet, so I am hoping her growth is not done and maybe she adds another inch before she gets here.

Reaction Score
Did Allie have a top 5?
I can’t find a top 5 anywhere, but spotted this in an article.

She chose UConn over a slew of other Division I offers that included UW-Green Bay, Illinois State, Marquette, UW-Milwaukee, Minnesota, Montana State, Oklahoma, St. Thomas (Minn.), Texas Tech, Toledo, Wisconsin and Xavier.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure why people are surprised by the short list of national powerhouse schools showing interest in Allie. Most early commitments come not from a schools 'pitch' but from a player who knows where she wants to go and sees no reason to drag out the recruiting process. We see this often. Schools don't waste time when a recruit makes her preference clear.

(People complain about Geno not recruiting 'X' player when the reality is often that said player has made it clear they are not interested.)

Reaction Score
I hate to say it but Ziebell does look and play like she could be another Mabrey sister but you can tell she's not because she doesn't seem to complain to refs or flop after the slightest contact.........:rolleyes:
Lol. I feel the same. Her shooting and competitiveness reminds me of the one that's currently in the WNBA

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The modest Ziebell didn't want to reveal which teams have offered, but let's just say it's an impressive bunch. Nevertheless, while this summer she is gaining attention from major programs she has not forgotten how the high school basketball season ended, when Neenah lost to Appleton East in a sectional final.

Sounds like a great kid, honestly. The school names that were given were released by her AAU team and those offers were from before her freshman year in high school. Unlike most other kids, Allie’s AAU team no longer lists the names of schools recruiting her. Nothing at all wrong with listing them, Allie just seems low key.

Reaction Score
One of the many reasons we are successful is that we are good shooters. Lou and Azzi are fantastic 3 point shooters. Aubrey and Aaliyah are making most of their inside shots and scores on the break. Last year we did not shoot the 3 as well as we do this year. Next couple of years with our new recruits we will be a good shooting team.
We also as usual we be a good defensve team otherwise Geno won't let you on the court. The Dynasty continues!!!!! Go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
I hate to say it but Ziebell does look and play like she could be another Mabrey sister but you can tell she's not because she doesn't seem to complain to refs or flop after the slightest contact.........:rolleyes:
Are we allowed to mention such character flaws in players like whining about calls and feigning injury? :rolleyes:

One thing I like about UConn is how little our players do this. I mean, an occasional tsk tsk or a stunned facial expression is ok, I suppose. But our kids mostly know where to draw the line. Even Steph knew how to stop at an incredulous look, and Nika has found this boundary too. Geno must teach such things -- or maybe delegates it to CD. After all, nothing is really gained with such histrionics, and the self-control required to let these things pass is more valuable. In Liv's final two years, if a call went against her, she'd just drop the ball and walk away. Her message was clear enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom