All we need now is a season | The Boneyard

All we need now is a season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am super-stoked with this roster. I hope the NCAA doesn't wimp out on having a full season (even if just on TV or with reduced crowds - students only ?)

Reaction Score
I want to have a full season as well but we should indeed protect public health.

How about a 15k person Zoom Zoom meeting? :D

Reaction Score
Waiting on that Season ticket holders email!!

Reaction Score
I think college football will tell us a lot about the basketball season. If it is a delayed start or on time with no crowd I’ll feel good about basketball.

Reaction Score
I do understand and it is wrong.
It's wrong to consider other people's health?

Not the officials?
Not the staffs?
Not the people all of those people interact with as they travel around potentially spreading the virus because they are asymptomatic?

How do you socially-distance a coach in a huddle?

How do you tape an ankle from six feet away?

I very much want there to be a season. I think there will be. But if the crux of your argument is "young people probably won't die", then no, you don't understand.

I'm sure diabetes runs rampant in the armed forces like it does in the black and brown community.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jeez ! No wonder CT is in such trouble. Life is hazardous. Get on with it. Nobody's holding a gun to anyone's head.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Jeez ! No wonder CT is in such trouble. Life is hazardous. Get on with it. Nobody's holding a gun to anyone's head.
You can carry the virus and be asymptomatic and spread it to others, and they can die. That's about as close to having a gun put to your head as you can get without physically having a gun put to your head.

Reaction Score
CT looks to be flattening the curve as the net hospitalizations has decreased for almost 14 straight days. So I'm optimistic we can get things back on track by the fall, however, we can't assume the virus won't increase again before an immunization is available.

Net hospitalizations should be the main datapoint, but we're sending students, coaches, support staff, etc into Rhode Island, NJ, NY, Ohio, Nebraska, Philly, Chicago, etc etc. so we have to consider over-all cases.

NY/NJ/CT was much harder hit than Nebraska (for example), the greater concern is those teams from rural areas travelling (flying) into harder hit areas to play St. Johns, Seton Hall, UConn, Nova etc, and then travelling back with the virus.

Bottom line, there is far more to consider when making this decision than whether or not young people are the most vulnerable. We know they aren't, but that won't stop them from transmitting it to those that are.

Reaction Score
It's wrong to consider other people's health?

Not the officials?
Not the staffs?
Not the people all of those people interact with as they travel around potentially spreading the virus because they are asymptomatic?

How do you socially-distance a coach in a huddle?

How do you tape an ankle from six feet away?

I very much want there to be a season. I think there will be. But if the crux of your argument is "young people probably won't die", then no, you don't understand.

I'm sure diabetes runs rampant in the armed forces like it does in the black and brown community.
Diabetes and heart disease run rampant in the 18-22 year old D1 basketball community? I think it would be fairly easy to try and eliminate risk in this regard.

The point is schools have to be in session come September for a million reasons. The overwhelming majority of people who die from Covid are old. Middle school and younger kids die more from the flu, I would guess high school and college age are probably comparable to the flu. This virus kills old people and people with health problems. Our focus always should have been keeping the old and medically vulnerable away from the virus as much as possible. The US and much of Europe have done a terrible job of this as evidenced by the nursing homes.

Reaction Score
Diabetes and heart disease run rampant in the 18-22 year old D1 basketball community? I think it would be fairly easy to try and eliminate risk in this regard.
I'm sure none of the black kids on our team have family members with diabetes. Couldn't possibly pass it on to them right?

Again you miss the point. The idea that we can look at the impact the virus has had on military personnel, as if that's a good datapoint to make decisions for the general public is moronic.

The point is schools have to be in session come September for a million reasons. The overwhelming majority of people who die from Covid are old. Middle school and younger kids die more from the flu, I would guess high school and college age are probably comparable to the flu. This virus kills old people and people with health problems. Our focus always should have been keeping the old and medically vulnerable away from the virus as much as possible. The US and much of Europe have done a terrible job of this as evidenced by the nursing homes.

Again with the nursing homes. I don't think you understand how near impossible it is to keep the virus from ravaging nursing homes. I'm not saying anyone did anything right, but i have personal experience there, and it's incredibly difficult to manage the virus in a nursing home, particularly one with a lot of alzheimer's patients.

I never said school shouldn't be in session. You're the only one arguing that.

Reaction Score
I'm sure none of the black kids on our team have family members with diabetes. Couldn't possibly pass it on to them right?

Again with the nursing homes. I don't think you understand how near impossible it is to keep them from ravaging nursing homes.

I never said school shouldn't be in session. You're the only one arguing that.
They shouldn't be living with their family members with diabetes and serious heart disease. You're proving my point.

Reaction Score
They shouldn't be living with their family members with diabetes and serious heart disease. You're proving my point.
Yeah, family doesn't travel to see games. Ever. They never visit. We're not talking about where they live, and if you're point is they shouldn't cancel school, i'm wondering who said otherwise?

Reaction Score
I never even argued they shouldn't have a season. Only that the mortality rate in Italy and/or the armed forces shouldn't be the deciding factor

Reaction Score
Yeah, family doesn't travel to see games. Ever. They never visit. We're not talking about where they live, and if you're point is they shouldn't cancel school, i'm wondering who said otherwise?
Geezus. What the hell is so hard for you to understand? Old people and people with serious health problems shouldn't be around all the virus carriers?

Reaction Score
Geezus. What the hell is so hard for you to understand? Old people and people with serious health problems shouldn't be around all the virus carriers?
Who said otherwise? You're arguing with yourself.

Young healthy players can have it, and not know it, and pass it on.

Our coach isn't young. His entire staff isn't young. All of the professors aren't young. They all interact with people who aren't young.

What is so hard for you to understand? Maybe start with this idea that you know who the "virus carriers" are.

Anyone can carry it, and many carry it for 4-5 days without knowing. Many more young and healthy people carry for weeks without knowing. It is literally impossible to prevent them from passing it on to others when they don't know they have it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who said otherwise? You're arguing with yourself.

Young healthy players can have it, and not know it, and pass it on.

Our coach isn't young. His entire staff isn't young. All of the professors aren't young. They all interact with people who aren't young.

What is so hard for you to understand?
I see this isn't going anywhere...

Reaction Score
Tell us again why we shouldn't cancel school when literally nobody said we should. Or how we specifically isolate the "virus carriers" so that we can protect everyone else? People all over the world would love to know how we do that.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Let's savor one day as UConn fans.
We've been waiting too long to not do at least that.

Reaction Score
Tell us again why we shouldn't cancel school when literally nobody said we should. Or how we specifically isolate the "virus carriers" so that we can protect everyone else? People all over the world would love to know how we do that.
You do your best to isolate the old and those with serious health problems in lockdowns and you ease younger people back into society. Some people around the world get this and have been doing this the entire time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom