All day wide open receivers behind the defense. | The Boneyard

All day wide open receivers behind the defense.

Reaction Score
But for a change it was the opponent, we got behind Houston all day. Their DBs looked like ours usually do.

Unfortunately our QB missed 'em all. Our fastest guy got behind them. Our slowest guy got behind them. And the throws were NOT close. It wasn't just off their hands. The balls were completely uncatchable. There were a minimum of four TDs left off the board.

It's not worse than getting blow out. But it's close.

Reaction Score
But for a change it was the opponent, we got behind Houston all day. Their DBs looked like ours usually do.

Unfortunately our QB missed 'em all. Our fastest guy got behind them. Our slowest guy got behind them. And the throws were NOT close. It wasn't just off their hands. The balls were completely uncatchable. There were a minimum of four TDs left off the board.

It's not worse than getting blow out. But it's close.
Well our head coach said a few games ago that our QB has a "certain swagger" and also has "it", so if we are to believe him at least we have that.

Reaction Score
Today showed me that if these kids put the effort in during the off season (QBs and Receivers work on route trees and timing... clearly not enough work done yet) we might be dangerous

It's not timing it's accuracy. And it's very hard to improve. Jack Zergiotis can do some amazing things throwing the football. But there's a real chance that the accuracy may never come. He is a lot like Beaudry with a much stronger arm and better mobility. They both have that line drive down pat. But touch and accuracy are lacking.

There's hope. But at this point, it's hope.

Reaction Score
Today showed me that if these kids put the effort in during the off season (QBs and Receivers work on route trees and timing... clearly not enough work done yet) we might be dangerous
If you have a terrible coach, that's what you get.

Reaction Score
It was heartening (and disheartening) to see the many missed opportunities and mistakes that cost the kids a chance to win. Our OC is terrible and made some really bad play calls that killed drives. He just doesn’t have a sense for understanding taking what the D will give and sticking within it. The 4 down series at the goal was atrocious other the the second play call. I’ll give him the 1st as a set up. Overall garbage. Continuing to try and defeat a faster team at the edge and losing yards time and time again is sheer incompetency or stupidity. We cant close out the red zone because our OC continually gives away the first play with bad play calls. Get a real OC and QB coach and we are in good shape. Also, we must get out of time of possession long drive football. It’s a loser statistically and the results show.

Reaction Score
Experience impacts accuracy. For young qbs a lot of “it” is having the game slow down and not letting adrenaline and the situation impact the throws. The missed TD to Rose is the perfect example. A calm, more experienced qb simply drops that in and it is a TD.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's not timing it's accuracy. And it's very hard to improve.
I'm thinking it's easier to improve accuracy than check-off ability. How many times have we lamented QB's in the past for locking in on receivers? This guy doesn't do that as a true frosh. He has good footwork. He's OK at the crossing routes, it's the deep ball that has been bad.

Reaction Score
I thought that giving up only 24 points to a team not named Umass or Wagner would be impossible.

You don't have to like Edsall to at least admit this is an improvement. I am not happy with the guy either, but this was not a bad outing and at least provides hope moving forward that Uconn might still have a few more wins up their sleeve.

No complaints here.

Reaction Score
Z has a feel for the pocket and the ability to hit secondary and tertiary receivers. Those two things are two of the primary non-teachable skills that make for a good QB. 44 pass attempts and 0 sacks is both a good o-line performance, but also a QB with a feel for the game. Promising future barring injury.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It's not timing it's accuracy. And it's very hard to improve. Jack Zergiotis can do some amazing things throwing the football. But there's a real chance that the accuracy may never come. He is a lot like Beaudry with a much stronger arm and better mobility. They both have that line drive down pat. But touch and accuracy are lacking.

There's hope. But at this point, it's hope.
It's more about touch. And I think you can improve that. If Jack Zergiotis can improve his touch and pocket presence, he could be very good

Reaction Score
Spanos making progress with the D. Better for our QB to overthrow than underthrow for a pick. Sucks to lose a winnable game, but awesome to have a chance to win in the 4th quarter.

This is the kind of progress I was hoping for this year.

Reaction Score
It was heartening (and disheartening) to see the many missed opportunities and mistakes that cost the kids a chance to win. Our OC is terrible and made some really bad play calls that killed drives. He just doesn’t have a sense for understanding taking what the D will give and sticking within it. The 4 down series at the goal was atrocious other the the second play call. I’ll give him the 1st as a set up. Overall garbage. Continuing to try and defeat a faster team at the edge and losing yards time and time again is sheer incompetency or stupidity. We cant close out the red zone because our OC continually gives away the first play with bad play calls. Get a real OC and QB coach and we are in good shape. Also, we must get out of time of possession long drive football. It’s a loser statistically and the results show.
No offense but Randy is telling the OC what to call.

Reaction Score
Hey, if Randy called those longer routes they were great calls. Could have had 3-4 tds if they connected. Play calling after the long Mensah run was out of the pp playbook. Abysmal-Should have pulled out a fake fg...

Reaction Score
But there's a real chance that the accuracy may never come.

I disagree, he's a true freshman who's probably having a hard time relaxing. The odds are much greater that he will improve his accuracy through repetition and experience. I think it's safe to be optimistic about Jack Zergiotis's future.

What he really needs to do is gain more confidence tucking and running because he can run. He also showed he knows how to slide, he just needs to do it more often.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
From my upper deck vantage point it’s hard to tell trajectory, but I was guessing he don’t put enough air under the ball. He had a few knocked down at the line. Edsall pist game brought that up directly and said they’ve been trying to wiry him not to just rifle everything . He’s excellent hitting guys in front of the defender.

Reaction Score
We were snake bit today. Overthrows and “just off the mark“ throws were bad enough but untimely penalties also wiped out several huge gains. While we played much better than the last few, the reality check is that Houston’s DB’s are the slowest group they’ve had in years and their QB situation was so bad that Holgerson’s walk on son played the position today. Bottom line Jack Zergiotis needs to reevaluate when to slide and get better with the long ball. He’s got a good command of the huddle and the team likes his toughness. I see brighter days ahead.

Reaction Score
That Houston team was awful. Their offense with the QBs switching every drive was abysmal. Their pass rush was non-existent and DBs couldn't cover anyone. Just frustrating that UConn let them off the hook. Should've been a comfortable win if Jack Zergiotis could connect on some of the deep balls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom