AJax already in a 2022 mock NBA draft! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AJax already in a 2022 mock NBA draft!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's really hard to make a complete assessment on a player who has played 256 total NCAA minutes, especially a freshman who played a total of four games between December 3rd and February 6th, key time to build get reps and build mojo.

Based on that, most people in this thread are giving projections of the player he might become, either this year or in a few years, rather than what we saw in him in 256 minutes last year.

Imagine if Jackson was healthy during the nine games both him and Bouknight were out? He would have had a major chance to shine.
We need a gif for this:

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that does not see NBA talent

I see a Freak Athlete, with no jump shot lacking confidence

Hopefully now healthy he dominates and lives up to the hype.....all the best

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is something that so many people seem to forget. You can improve once you get to the NBA and they are going to draft based on potential and not because you’re a finished product.

Andre will need a breakout year this season, but as 429 said, if he can get over 30% from 3 I think he’s gone. He’s way too freakish of an athlete IMO.

I really do think he’s one of those kids that puts the time into his craft and is dedicated both physically and mentally, so I really hope that pays off for him on the court this season.

It's not just the ++ athleticism, it's the intangibles. The passing, the court vision and awareness. That stuff is much, much harder to teach than shooting. He's already a very good defender. Sure he fouls, but he also disrupts passing lanes and is really impactful beyond the guy he's guarding. He's going to have a lot of steals if we use him correctly.

Not saying he'll be drafted in 2022, but I think he has a shot.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Samson got a very brief mention at the end of Vecenie’s recent pod previewing big men for the 2022 draft. Their thought is that in likely only 10-12 minutes per game he may not be able to show enough to sneak into the ‘22 class

Reaction Score
I think we'll all know the answer to his shooting in about 8 weeks.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
No, you're one of 2 people.
Three. I think you are both right, and pray you are wrong. If he makes the jump we are a legit final 4 threat.

it just scares me that the consensus is he goes to the NBA if he just learns to shoot, defend, not foul every 2 minutes, and have confidence. Ummmmm……. Those are kind of like big, relatively important things for a basketball player. Unless I am missing something.

Reaction Score
Three. I think you are both right, and pray you are wrong. If he makes the jump we are a legit final 4 threat.

it just scares me that the consensus is he goes to the NBA if he just learns to shoot, defend, not foul every 2 minutes, and have confidence. Ummmmm……. Those are kind of like big, relatively important things for a basketball player. Unless I am missing something.
I took his post to mean he "doesn't have NBA Talent"

not

"he doesn't have NBA talent right now".

I don't think he'll be a first round pick next year, but it's certainly possible.

Reaction Score
The NBA is about potential and confidence in their staff(s) to develop talent.

Ajax has obvious talent. Needs to show the dividends from his hard work this summer in games this season. Is finally healthy and will be given the "green light" from DH/staff for the first time in his UConn career.

Enjoy him while he's here.

Reaction Score
He can jump over the moon and see an open player, is that NBA talent? At this point to say he does is a guess without shot improvement.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

there are so many guys who can’t make the league cause they don’t have his physician gifts.

plus he can be a playmaker.

but you can’t shoot that poorly as a guard/wing and make it.

the light should go on for him with more reps and experience.

but yes, he is basically a lump of clay to be molded at this point.

Reaction Score
I was seriously unimpressed with him. In my opinion, there's no way he makes it to the association.

He can't defend without fouling. He can't shoot. He doesn't exactly have handle. So he rebounds and dunks.
You are aware he was a freshmen in a year of injury and covid delays. Really cost him a lot of development time. I fully expect to see a totally different player this season.

Reaction Score
Obviously he needs to learn how to shoot and he needs to work on his defense, but those are teachable skills.

i’m not in the camp that great shooting is teachable. someone can improve their shooting through work, but you can’t teach everyone up to greatness. If it was doable everyone would be over 90% from the line. I see a nice feel from AJ from the line. If he can translate that stroke out to the 3 point line he may one of a small group to make a huge leap in shooting accuracy. I remember watching Neils take a ton of shots after practice. If you put in the time you can get better.

Reaction Score
Andre has a long ways to go but you certainly can see the potential. For what I would consider a heady player he committed plenty of stupid fouls but I do think that will be improved. He has great vision and his handle is good could be very good. Let’s be honest the only way he improves in a huge way will be finding ways to make shots. I’m not as worried about his percentage behind the arc as much as just being able to make some mid range shots because he can take his defender off the dribble most often.

Exciting player and I’m sure he put the work in seems like that kind of kid lets see what happens.

Reaction Score
i’m not in the camp that great shooting is teachable. someone can improve their shooting through work, but you can’t teach everyone up to greatness. If it was doable everyone would be over 90% from the line. I see a nice feel from AJ from the line. If he can translate that stroke out to the 3 point line he may one of a small group to make a huge leap in shooting accuracy. I remember watching Neils take a ton of shots after practice. If you put in the time you can get better.
So I’m trying to remember a UCONN player that we had high hopes for who had eye popping shooting improvement over an offseason. Someone who shot crap and then was almost a different player the next year. Only have 1. Neils Giffey shooting 3’s senior year. that’s it.

Reaction Score
So I’m trying to remember a UCONN player that we had high hopes for who had eye popping shooting improvement over an offseason. Someone who shot crap and then was almost a different player the next year. Only have 1. Neils Giffey shooting 3’s senior year. that’s it.
Off the top of my head DeAndre Daniels is one, went from 24% from 3 as a freshman to 31% as a sophomore to 42% as a junior (on increasing 3PA each year). Obviously Andre is starting from a much lower bar with his shooting numbers, so I wouldn't expect to see that substantial of an improvement like with DeAndre

I think a more realistic expectation is someone like Sid Wilson or Alterique Gilbert who both shot 22% from 3 their freshman years (and sophomore year for Gilbert) to shooting 32-33% after that. Still not a great percentage but just enough to make the defense respect the shot. That's the type of improvement I think Andre needs, not becoming a knockdown shooter like DeAndre but just getting his shot to the point where the defense has to think about stepping out on him.

Reaction Score
Off the top of my head DeAndre Daniels is one, went from 24% from 3 as a freshman to 31% as a sophomore to 42% as a junior (on increasing 3PA each year). Obviously Andre is starting from a much lower bar with his shooting numbers, so I wouldn't expect to see that substantial of an improvement like with DeAndre

I think a more realistic expectation is someone like Sid Wilson or Alterique Gilbert who both shot 22% from 3 their freshman years (and sophomore year for Gilbert) to shooting 32-33% after that. Still not a great percentage but just enough to make the defense respect the shot. That's the type of improvement I think Andre needs, not becoming a knockdown shooter like DeAndre but just getting his shot to the point where the defense has to think about stepping out on him.
It also isn't the biggest sample size, he took 17 threes in an injury shortened season where he missed the whole preseason. The shot is ugly looking but he only took more than 1 three in 2 of the games.

Reaction Score

Well they’re talking about the lottery so 31% isn't going to open many eyes. The NBA is very athletic for guards, that's almost a prerequisite. But if he were to take a bunch of attempts and make 35% I wluld agree with lottery talk.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Well they’re talking about the lottery so 31% isn't going to open many eyes. The NBA is very athletic for guards, that's almost a prerequisite. But if he were to take a bunch of attempts and make 35% I wluld agree with lottery talk.

31% gets him drafted

But yeah probably needs to be up near 35 or become Ben Simmons on defense to make up for it if not to get into the lottery

Reaction Score
I agree he'd need to shoot really well to be in the lottery conversation, but I also think really well with his other skills is getting to 30%.

Either way, that's not what your question was, you asked for examples of guys who we had high hopes for who showed substantial improvement in their shooting

Reaction Score
He's uncommonly athletic even by NBA standards, he's a Zach LaVine type of athlete. His vision/passing is also uncommon. It's a big if but if he just shoots threes over 30% and if he shows he can put it on the deck and finish in the lane NBA front offices will be salivating over him. His athleticism and vision are made for the wide open NBA game.

Reaction Score
The floor of this team is pretty solid, they’ll win games based off their defense and a solid core of RJ, Adama, Tyrese, and Whaley. The ceiling of this team really comes down to two players IMO: AJax & Gaffney. We sort of know what to expect from everyone else, but how big of a jump can these two make? They both flash and have talent. If either or both can make a significant jump, they’ll contend for top 3 in the Big East again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom