AJ - I don't see it | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AJ - I don't see it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While TM is sidelined. I could easily see AJ being more assertive on offense when the openings are there. Not dramatically changing his role but helping make up for some of Martin's offensive output for the benefit of the team.

But let me ask this, is a more assertive AJ on offense a really good thing? I mean him being a rebounder and defender is ok but a guy that doesn’t seem to finish and can’t shoot makes me nervous. Lots of empty possessions, prefer to have Hawkins go at it as much as possible and give him the rope.

Reaction Score
But let me ask this, is a more assertive AJ on offense a really good thing? I mean him being a rebounder and defender is ok but a guy that doesn’t seem to finish and can’t shoot makes me nervous. Lots of empty possessions, prefer to have Hawkins go at it as much as possible and give him the rope.
AJ at the foul line is definitely a plus. And a more aggressive AJ probably gets there more.

Reaction Score
To answer your question--History suggests you don't necessarily want to see him being overly aggressive on O. My thought process is without TM/AS occupying space down low that driving lanes will open up more and the foul line extended area. This is where I could see him doing some damage converting his defensive stops to scores as well as potential mismatches. IMO.. He can be creative going to the hole when he has space.

Like you- I believe its time to feature JHawk more and his considerable offensive skills within the framework of DH's offensive schemes. Patience for him-Letting game come to him will help.

Edit:The more effective JHawk/RJ/Tyler/Gaff are from 3 pt line.. The more the lanes open up for others.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Andre has certainly been better than last year. He's still turning the ball over too frequently and he needs to start ironing that out, but that's to be expected considering how much bigger his role is this year. He's better on the defensive end, providing blocks and steals while also fouling at a MUCH lower rate than last season. He's already made more 3's than he did all of last year, and so far has improved his 3pt% by 17%.

I think with the onus on Sanogo to be a reliable scorer for us this year has limited Andre's ability to get easy buckets because teams are packing the paint. Right now, he has the most steals on the team, is the 2nd leading rebounder behind Martin, is 3rd in blocks, 3rd in FT%, all while being 5th in minutes. He's got things to work on for sure, namely limiting turnovers and asserting himself offensively, but he does a lot of the dirty work while also providing highlight plays that give the team energy and confidence to go on big runs.

Reaction Score
I’d like to see him at the 4 more often with Sanogo out so he can slip behind slower PFs when the matchup allows. He’s fine defending most 4s and no matter what position he plays, he’s our best defensive rebounder.

He ultimately just needs to find more confidence scoring wise, and needs to focus more on limiting turnovers than making an immaculate pass. He’s a project, but the ceiling is still as obvious as ever and he’s bringing value defensively and on the glass already.

D6717BDA-BA73-4F4B-A9AD-846B5E8DD6A2.jpeg

Reaction Score
There was a nifty sequence in yesterday’s game where Jackson threw the ball at the basket apparently he was attempting a three pointer. The ball hit the side of the backboard and then Jackson’s man beat him down the court and drained a three. That summed up Jackson’s year. I expected much better from him. Why on earth Hurley constantly positions him at the three point like is pointless. Jackson should constantly be moving towards the rim.

Reaction Score
There was a nifty sequence in yesterday’s game where Jackson threw the ball at the basket apparently he was attempting a three pointer. The ball hit the side of the backboard and then Jackson’s man beat him down the court and drained a three. That summed up Jackson’s year. I expected much better from him. Why on earth Hurley constantly positions him at the three point like is pointless. Jackson should constantly be moving towards the rim.
Yeah, side of the backboard was embarrassing... how bout after his nice dunk, then giving up back to back three pointers on defense immediately afterwards.... or the two lazy passes into the defenders hands within 5 seconds apart? I think he gave up 15 points on defense in the first half. But yeah, we say he's a good defender...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Dunking while fun, doesn't win games. We have plenty of guys who can rebound. On a team this deep, you need to bring more to the table. It stuns me the same people leaning to heavily on AJ's obvious athleticism are the one dumping on Gaffney's all around contributions.

Reaction Score
You have to play the game to understand Jackson. He makes lots of winning plays ... even with being a hesitant shooter. With lots of aggressive defensive rebounders on our team, he might be the most fierce. His defense is intense and surely puts the fear of God into some. Then what the dunking does ... it swoons momentum to another planet. He is a whirling dervish that carries the other guys.

We talk about how important Whaley is. He could not shoot a lick 2 years ago. Look at his value now. Jackson is competitive and the best fundamentals in block out and hedge. He has a role. And basketball is not always the fluid skillset of a Bouknight or Hawkins.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You can definitely question his shot and his overall ability to score the basketball, but I don't think you can question his athleticism, BBall IQ, heart, or toughness.
His offense is what it is at this point. Pressure will be on him going forward to improve or lose minutes. He's been doing a lot of lazy passes as well. What he does well is attacking the glass on both ends for rebounds and putbacks on the offensive end, runs the floor better than anyone on the team, and off a missed shot on defense he immediately pushes the tempo to set up the offense in transition

Reaction Score
You have to play the game to understand Jackson. He makes lots of winning plays ... even with being a hesitant shooter. With lots of aggressive defensive rebounders on our team, he might be the most fierce. His defense is intense and surely puts the fear of God into some. Then what the dunking does ... it swoons momentum to another planet. He is a whirling dervish that carries the other guys.

We talk about how important Whaley is. He could not shoot a lick 2 years ago. Look at his value now. Jackson is competitive and the best fundamentals in block out and hedge. He has a role. And basketball is not always the fluid skillset of a Bouknight or Hawkins.
I think what you say about him above is what you and we all want out of him, but he's simply not there yet.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hilton, Boone and many others had 'slow' developments, but with determination, coaching and inherit skills they proved their worth by their junior/senior years. AJ has the tools and skills to excel, it will take time.

Its a matter of is AJ 'much' better today than a year ago? So far to me its a yes.
Yes he is. I think the problem is that when a recruit is labeled a stud, in hoops terms that usually means they can score. He definitely does some very good things, but his scoring ability isn’t close to his incoming hype. The guy he is sometimes compared to athletically is Sticks Robinson. But way different skill sets. Sticks could score. He couldn’t handle at an elite level. Jackson is so athletic and coordinated I’d hope he can get his shot up to snuff. He’d be unstoppable. If you’re old enough, think Tony Hanson. Super athlete, good outside shot and great attack of the hoop which his shooting opened up.

Reaction Score
Hawkins and Jackson showed flashes of chemistry that could really develop.
That chemistry could really be important to putting this team solidly into the top 10 (this year and/or next). :)

Reaction Score
GO
I think what you say about him above is what you and we all want out of him, but he's simply not there yet.

Find your own little corner. I understand you and a few others are disappointed that he has not risen to YOUR standard of stud wing. AJ plays hard and gets the subtleties of blocking out and basic defensive fundamentals far better than most kids getting to campus. He is obviously a great team player. I am not disturbed by his shooting ... I more want him to cut out the adventurous passing. And I am certain Hurley is in his ear. He gets 20 minutes. And has to earn that within this year because Hawkins and Martin are gonna take his minutes with more efficiency. He could be just a spot defensive dog; though I am hoping he plays his way to stay in the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
I hate that Dre plays hot-potato whenever he catches the ball outside. He needs to show more confidence and shoot the m f’in ball. Damn the torpedoes!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

He makes a lot of losing plays also.

Reaction Score
GO

Find your own little corner. I understand you and a few others are disappointed that he has not risen to YOUR standard of stud wing. AJ plays hard and gets the subtleties of blocking out and basic defensive fundamentals far better than most kids getting to campus. He is obviously a great team player. I am not disturbed by his shooting ... I more want him to cut out the adventurous passing. And I am certain Hurley is in his ear. He gets 20 minutes. And has to earn that within this year because Hawkins and Martin are gonna take his minutes with more efficiency. He could be just a spot defensive dog; though I am hoping he plays his way to stay in the starting lineup.
You don't have to be so offensive about it and you've conflated my thoughts on AJ with others'. I'm still hopeful he can rise to all of our hopes - I just don't think he is as impactful right now on the game and opponents as you do. All you have to do is listen to his coach's public words about how he still needs to elevate his game in a few ways. AJ has soooo much potential - all he needs is some more seasoning and skill refinement. He'll leave UConn a far better player than when he came in - and that's saying a lot because he's pretty damn good now. :)

Reaction Score
You don't have to be so offensive about it and you've conflated my thoughts on AJ with others'.
that's what he does. reads a thread, finds a theme he doesn't like, attributes it to one poster who didn't actually make that point, and then lectures them about how wrong they are.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I'm a bit envious of the shine Baylor's Fr. Kendal Brown is getting. This includes top 10-20 NBA projections. The projections are based primarily on freak athleticism, length and off the chart NBA defensive versatility. Dre has what Kendal has. Though I wonder if it's possible within this verse that their is someone with half a higher ladder? Dre has freakish length and as everyone seems to know off the charts athleticism like this kid Brown. Perhaps naively, I find it a bit puzzling that Dre does not merit greater NBA attention in the mold of a Thybulle-light on the D with greater athleticism. Is it due to Baylor's current rise? Dre can do so many things. If he simply commits to locking down the opponent ala Morsell, runs the floor and rebounds, he then plays himself into garnering greater NBA attention and gets us into the second round.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hawkins and Jackson showed flashes of chemistry that could really develop.
Yeah, but people want at least one of them to jump to the NBA ASAP before that chemistry brings us an NC just so we can attract the next stud who can leave early. But I hope you’re right. Have fun while it lasts.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Yeah, but people want at least one of them to jump to the NBA ASAP before that chemistry brings us an NC just so we can attract the next stud who can leave early. But I hope you’re right. Have fun while it lasts.
I was not implying a premature push out the door for the sake of a natl championship. I also never begrudge the will of someone to move on.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It's hard to imagine that AJ would be given so much room to work on, work out, and work through his various 'irregularities' if the coaching staff didn't have an overall confidence that 'playing through' is the way to go with him. I'm therefore not going to question it, but it's easy to see that he's being given a lot of room to both work and play. Not many players get that much space, so the variety of responses to some of the incomplete parts of his game doesn't surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom