Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I always did like Navy!! :)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I watched that game on the mighty Samsung. It was no fluke. ND had few clues as to stopping the USNA multiple option offense. It's also true that Navy had only one "three and out" on defense. But Navy was clearly better today, moreso than a one point margin would lead you to believe.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
And next month Army will get their annual ass whuppin'.

Reaction Score
Navy is legit - they beat Houston a month ago, when Houston was walking on water, beat Oklahoma, was being talked about for final 4 if they beat Louisville and went undefeated, etc. Good for Navy!

upload_2016-11-5_16-35-48.png

Reaction Score
ND fans hate to admit it, but their most successful program is the WCBB program.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
ND; always overrated. AAC; always underrated.

Reaction Score
The ND football model is broken. They haven't been consistently strong since Ara Parseghian more than 40 years ago. (I realize Dan Devine did pretty well with a QB named Joe Montana, but it wasn't consistent excellence.)

It is shocking how quickly Michigan turned their program around, largely because of a new coach. But ND has had a revolving door of coaches of all stripes without consistent success. I have no idea what ails the Irish....

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
The ND football model is broken. They haven't been consistently strong since Ara Parseghian more than 40 years ago. (I realize Dan Devine did pretty well with a QB named Joe Montana, but it wasn't consistent excellence.)

It is shocking how quickly Michigan turned their program around, largely because of a new coach. But ND has had a revolving door of coaches of all stripes without consistent success. I have no idea what ails the Irish....

I think back in their glory days, they intimidated opponents with the name on the jersey, their fight song, and their shiny helmets. Not today. Teams (including UConn a few years ago) aren't afraid to play ND. The mental edge always went to Notre Dame until the players, media, coaches, and fans finally realized that the first step in beating any team is believing that you can. So, the more ND gets beat, the more they are GOING TO get beat.
ND hasn't done so hot in bowl games because they get matched up with well-proven teams that aren't about to be flustered or bullied.

Right now, it seems that the "king of the mountain" team with the biggest mental and athletic edge is probably Alabama. Or maybe not. But it clearly isn't ND.

Reaction Score

As a ND alumnus (and father of a UCONN alumnus) I have to agree, although Lou Holtz had some pretty good years as well with Rocket Ismail. I was fortunate enough to attend during the Parseghian years. A lot has changed since then. I agree that ND gets overhyped year after year; I'll usually watch a few games, suspend my hopes, and just kick back and enjoy the games for what they are. It remains an exceptional educational institution, however, and theoretically, that's what college is really for.

Reaction Score
As a ND alumnus (and father of a UCONN alumnus) I have to agree, although Lou Holtz had some pretty good years as well with Rocket Ismail. I was fortunate enough to attend during the Parseghian years. A lot has changed since then. I agree that ND gets overhyped year after year; I'll usually watch a few games, suspend my hopes, and just kick back and enjoy the games for what they are. It remains an exceptional educational institution, however, and theoretically, that's what college is really for.
Sorry; my mistake: you're right about Lou Holtz, of course. But I always believed that Holtz's success depended on his defensive coordinator, Barry Alvarez, who then went on to great success as head coach at Wisconsin. After Alvarez left, ND declined. But that's sort of besides the point: Holtz should get credit for recruiting Alvarez.

Reaction Score
OK, you're quite right, of course, about the exceptional nature of the institution, and, because I do truly believe that, I am currently advocating for a granddaughter to apply there. My "beef" with them is only a function of athletics, and the fact, to which you earlier alluded, that they are, on an annual basis, so unreasonably over-hyped. Sports commentators remain, in my opinion, so romanced by the Knute Rockne legend (and that of some successors) that they still rush to anoint The Irish champions of this or that before they have earned anything to merit that recognition. And, I must admit that I find ND fans generally suffer, probably on the basis of having swallowed the legend whole, from an outsized sense of entitlement. "Yes, technically we have x number of losses, but we still should be ranked in the Top Ten!" "We would've won, but the refs (always the refs) stole it from us!"

To their undisputed credit, the ND administration does all it can to maintain high academic standards, even among their athletes, and does so in a cynical world wherein sports, and, of course, football primarily, is just big business. I enthusiastically applaud that. I just get tired of all the pretension. So forgive me if I gloat a bit over their stumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom