Ah Italia and Frosh Reality Check | The Boneyard

Ah Italia and Frosh Reality Check

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Talk of trip to Italy - past and upcoming.

"All four of the freshmen are really going to come to grips with reality," Auriemma said. "They're kind of like our fans in one sense. They have this expectation … They watch us on TV, they think, 'I'm ready for this, I'm going to go there and I'm going to do this, this and this, and I'm going to win a national championship, and I'm going to be first-team All-American.'

"And then when they get there this summer and they go through their first individual [workout] with Shea and Marissa and CD, they go back to their room and they call home and go, 'I'm not sure about this. I'm not in Kansas anymore.'"

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-uconn-women-italy-0528-20170527-story.html

And summer classes begin for some players.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno uses his imagination on the game; the press, they get what's left. Besides, some things are invariably true - frosh shock is one of those things.

Reaction Score

"All four of the freshmen are really going to come to grips with reality," Auriemma said. "They're kind of like our fans in one sense. They have this expectation … They watch us on TV, they think, 'I'm ready for this, I'm going to go there and I'm going to do this, this and this, and I'm going to win a national championship, and I'm going to be first-team All-American.'

"And then when they get there this summer and they go through their first individual [workout] with Shea and Marissa and CD, they go back to their room and they call home and go, 'I'm not sure about this. I'm not in Kansas anymore.'"

http://www.courant.com/sports/UConn-womens-basketball/hc-UConn-women-italy-0528-20170527-story.html

I don't understand. Did UConn recruit anyone from Kansas? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

http://www.courant.com/sports/UConn-womens-basketball/hc-UConn-women-italy-0528-20170527-story.html

Perennial comment from Geno--he could can this. This bit about kids Upping their image with" I'm doing to win 1,2,3,4 NC's --is exact actually that which Geno loved about DT and Stewie---confidence to the bravado---this is REALLY the kind of kid Geno loves--but with Geno if you brag---back it up with GAME.

Geno, Christine, Shea, Marisa look for this kind of kid as well as those with Hi BBIQ and Team players---Role players Geno had all he needed---now he needs those that put their game where their mouths were
Uconn had 3, 4 or 5 of those who last yeae talked with their game---Quiet Collier--and Gabby could be very LOUD.
I don't understand. Did UConn recruit anyone from Kansas? :rolleyes:
Dorothy something---great game--just flies around--one of the best--except for the clunky shoes--

Reaction Score
Geno uses his imagination on the game; the press, they get what's left. Besides, some things are invariably true - frosh shock is one of those things.
Two Shea's . Totally new environment gets everyone---Boot camp--I asked what the hell did I do to me??

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
If Rocky's link doesn't work, change "UConn" where it appears twice in the link to lower case "uconn." I tried to post a corrected link but it keeps coming out "UConn" and that doesn't get you to the article.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Geno needs new material. He has used this schtick for 30 years.

If we as fans continue to enjoy the same results from the 30 years, he can use it for another 10+ and I'll be a happy camper.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Question on the Italy trip: does anyone know how many games we will be playing...and against who?

I would not be at all upset if we played some hybrid of Italy's 2016/2020 National team. If we lose....fair enough. I actually think we would have a realistic shot even though Italy would
presumably have much more experience.

BTW: somewhere I read that Geno will be attending the 19U world championship event in Italy in late July. Nice chance to see how Crystal and Megan play....plus a glance or two at 2018 target Christyn Williams! Hmm...will Christyn be in the regular rotation? Her lack of experience might say 'no'....her talent might dispute that.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Just finished our scouting trip to Italy for Geno and the kids.
It's all there and wonderful.

We visited Pisa, Florence and Sienna, the deep South and stayed a week in a vineyard outside of Rome
where they make the darnedest, splendid Red (Colle Picchioni) for 15 bucks or so.

The produce is remarkable...everything tastes like something...the chicken, the fish...whatever.
I enjoyed the apricots of my childhood; totally unlike the modified thing we get today. We grilled a piece of swordfish caught the same day.

Offbeat hints and notes for Geno:

1. Stay at Picchioni (about $65 a night).
2. Pisa is a splendid city and only the area around the tower is crowded...the rest is yours.
3. Florence is a zoo, but Lucca and Sienna aren't
4. The fortified hilltop towns, are breathtaking (like San Gimignano).
5. Eat at Il Peperoncino in Pisa and Alessio in Roma, great food, fine wine, reasonable prices.
6. Most guidebooks, rental car companies and cruise ship lines talk, try to steer you away from
Napoli...Don't believe them!
It's vital, earthy, alive, friendly. The Archeology museum is fantastic...All the good stuff from
Pompeii was moved there. And the city has as many beautiful sights as Rome and the crowds are
all local
7. If you've been to Pompeii (or are reluctant to fight the crowds) you can visit the remains of an
ancient Roman city...the old port of Rome...Ostio Antica...much larger than Pompeii and really
remarkable...and it's all yours...no crowds. even a decent snack bar.
8. Rome has under-populated areas as well...the splendid Archeological museum; right next to the
train (and only a few blocks from a great lunch at Alessio).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom